Jump to topic:

Education should stress How rather than What

SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:42:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
In nearly all modern education systems, the 'classic' form of education that stressed the history of philosophy (typically western philosophy) and language (greek, latin and then derived child: French, Spanish and Germanic-English) as well as the arts has been abandoned in favor of 'factual' education.

I strongly believe that this is a huge mistake, since the 'facts' presented are often philosophies derived from data rather than epistemological truths. Without the history and background in philosophy, especially sophistry and socratic methodology, children are poorly equipped to make their own decisions. They do not understand why the scientific method was developed and they do not understand the difference between fact and supposition.

In effect, the education system is designed to forge tools that can be used rather than encourage individuals with critical thinking skills.

The resolution to this is, in my opinion, to adopt a system centered around teaching children how to find answers using modern technology. This is a combination of research skills and a deep knowledge of logic itself.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
BillSPrestonEsq
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 4:59:47 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/9/2016 3:42:02 PM, SkyLeach wrote:
In nearly all modern education systems, the 'classic' form of education that stressed the history of philosophy (typically western philosophy) and language (greek, latin and then derived child: French, Spanish and Germanic-English) as well as the arts has been abandoned in favor of 'factual' education.

I strongly believe that this is a huge mistake, since the 'facts' presented are often philosophies derived from data rather than epistemological truths. Without the history and background in philosophy, especially sophistry and socratic methodology, children are poorly equipped to make their own decisions. They do not understand why the scientific method was developed and they do not understand the difference between fact and supposition.

In effect, the education system is designed to forge tools that can be used rather than encourage individuals with critical thinking skills.

The resolution to this is, in my opinion, to adopt a system centered around teaching children how to find answers using modern technology. This is a combination of research skills and a deep knowledge of logic itself.

I've had this same idea myself. I went to public school, and struggled. I left high school many years ago now, and have since used the internet to learn many things.
It's like my real education took place after the 10 years of former schooling.
I'm sure that basic education did lay some foundation for later studies, but many years were wasted in my opinion.
I realized I learn very well 'like a child', meaning that I ask why? I get an answer, and then I ask why again, and again, like kids do. This means that everything I learn, I truly have a desire to understand.
If children were allowed to learn this way I imagine it would be much more efficient and enjoyable.
Also I was reading that the average 12 year public education costs $127,000. An education that is essentially worthless in the job market. It would make more sense to focus earlier on some career. I think this would be extremely beneficial to a young person's life to have a valuable skill early on. Not everyone stays with their first career, but it is much easier to change careers when you have savings.
Imagine if at 18 you could be fully trained for a valuable career, without a $127,000
bill to pay (in taxes)
Rightreform
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 4:01:51 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/9/2016 3:42:02 PM, SkyLeach wrote:

I am fully agreeing with you. Most kids in the school system are not getting a fair education. Many authoritarians say you should not make independent judgments about yourself and your actions. That you have an obligation to things and institutions greater than yourself. When I talk to many young ones, it is apparent that very few are given the ability to think for themselves. If our children or young adults are not able to speak up we need to act for their interest, not the people who are rigid and pick out what will be taught so that they can fill their manufacturing companies. Kids and adults need more education in the liberal arts, especially now when our world changes faster and faster. People should have the ability to be flexible to choose the path that best fits them and the future they will lie in.
I have also seen how our justice system has failed and it has not chosen the side of truth and right. Many trials are bases on legal maneuvers. In liberal art our people will know how to engage in dialectical arguments. Many people will need to protect their own beliefs and actions. Liberal arts gives us the gift to have a voice and to be heard not only for ourselves but for our whole society.
This is not just about teaching students to be liberals as the enemies of liberal arts would claim. It does not hurt anyone to be open minded if anything it fortifies the person you already are when you prove what you know.

The student years in a person"s life are typically most free. That"s why student life can be so exciting and enriching. And it"s also incidentally why social movements, the civil rights movement, women"s movement, others, have typically had students at the forefront. This is the time when you have a degree of freedom you hadn"t had before and are unlikely to have in the future. If that period of freedom is squandered by rote learning and imposition of mechanical demands, that"s a tragedy for the person.

http://genprogress.org...
Rightreform
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 4:03:21 AM
I am fully agreeing with you. Most kids in the school system are not getting a fair education. Many authoritarians say you should not make independent judgments about yourself and your actions. That you have an obligation to things and institutions greater than yourself. When I talk to many young ones, it is apparent that very few are given the ability to think for themselves. If our children or young adults are not able to speak up we need to act for their interest, not the people who are rigid and pick out what will be taught so that they can fill their manufacturing companies. Kids and adults need more education in the liberal arts, especially now when our world changes faster and faster. People should have the ability to be flexible to choose the path that best fits them and the future they will lie in.
I have also seen how our justice system has failed and it has not chosen the side of truth and right. Many trials are bases on legal maneuvers. In liberal art our people will know how to engage in dialectical arguments. Many people will need to protect their own beliefs and actions. Liberal arts gives us the gift to have a voice and to be heard not only for ourselves but for our whole society.
This is not just about teaching students to be liberals as the enemies of liberal arts would claim. It does not hurt anyone to be open minded if anything it fortifies the person you already are when you prove what you know.

The student years in a person"s life are typically most free. That"s why student life can be so exciting and enriching. And it"s also incidentally why social movements, the civil rights movement, women"s movement, others, have typically had students at the forefront. This is the time when you have a degree of freedom you hadn"t had before and are unlikely to have in the future. If that period of freedom is squandered by rote learning and imposition of mechanical demands, that"s a tragedy for the person.

http://genprogress.org...
Jackkevin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 10:53:00 AM
All kids will encounter stress, once in a while huge measures of it, in their lives. Grown-ups customarily neglect to perceive the rate and greatness of anxiety in the lives of kids. Visit Our Website http://www.assignmentbay.co.uk...
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:50:45 PM
Rote learning of facts favors girls (their brains are long on white matter, and short on gray matter), but leaves boys struggling. I think this is a large part of why our schools educate as they do, to advantage girls.
Rightreform
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:23:11 AM
Yes kids will encounter stress which is good for them. Learning to cope with stress is an important life skill. In the real world you can not avoid your problems, there isn't a cheat system to always fall back on. You're not doing anyone any favors writing their research paper for them.
SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 6:33:04 PM
I did read all your replies, and I'm glad so many of you agree. I was away the week before this and I have been catching up on work a lot this week, but I didn't want you guys to think I had abandoned the thread.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...