Jump to topic:

College versus Self-Education

Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 1:15:56 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I am not going to college. I prefer to take part in Self-Education (reading how-to books, watching online instructional videos, etc.). I have my reasons. For one, it's a lot cheaper. Secondly, I can work at my own pace. Third, I understand the idea that no one will hire you without a college degree. But besides that, what else is it about college that makes it so particularly special?

When people learn I'm not going to college, they usually respond in one of two ways: 1. "What?!? You're going to college?!?! How do you expect to get a good job?!?!?!" or 2. "Oh, you're not going to college? What is it exactly you want to do?... Oh, okay, that makes sense. But you should probably at least take a few classes. That would really help you a lot."

I understand there are a lot of good things about college. But is it really necessary for everyone? I'd love to hear peoples' opinions on this!
I'm not sure what to put here yet. Someone please give me some suggestions.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:35:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/10/2016 1:15:56 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:
I am not going to college. I prefer to take part in Self-Education (reading how-to books, watching online instructional videos, etc.). I have my reasons. For one, it's a lot cheaper. Secondly, I can work at my own pace. Third, I understand the idea that no one will hire you without a college degree. But besides that, what else is it about college that makes it so particularly special?

When people learn I'm not going to college, they usually respond in one of two ways: 1. "What?!? You're going to college?!?! How do you expect to get a good job?!?!?!" or 2. "Oh, you're not going to college? What is it exactly you want to do?... Oh, okay, that makes sense. But you should probably at least take a few classes. That would really help you a lot."

I understand there are a lot of good things about college. But is it really necessary for everyone? I'd love to hear peoples' opinions on this!

Wouldn't the social void of sitting behind a computer and self-studying all day drive you crazy? And isn't there quite a lack in activities to do if you're going to sit at home and study?

I really don't know how you would develop a healthy social life by not going to college. The boredom too, it would likely drive some people insane.
Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 11:24:18 PM
At 5/19/2016 7:35:24 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Wouldn't the social void of sitting behind a computer and self-studying all day drive you crazy? And isn't there quite a lack in activities to do if you're going to sit at home and study?

I really don't know how you would develop a healthy social life by not going to college. The boredom too, it would likely drive some people insane.

Well, no, I personally wouldn't find sitting around and self-studying all day particularly bothersome, but then again, that's basically what I do now so maybe I'm just used to it (i'm homeschooled). As for the "healthy social life", I only get out of the house about once a week on average, except for trips to the store or mowing yards for money. But the one day a week I go to youthgroup is plenty of social interaction for me. But, this type of lifestyle definitely isn't for everyone.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 12:06:23 AM
At 5/19/2016 11:24:18 PM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:

Well, no, I personally wouldn't find sitting around and self-studying all day particularly bothersome, but then again, that's basically what I do now so maybe I'm just used to it (i'm homeschooled). As for the "healthy social life", I only get out of the house about once a week on average, except for trips to the store or mowing yards for money. But the one day a week I go to youthgroup is plenty of social interaction for me. But, this type of lifestyle definitely isn't for everyone.

I would go crazy with that little social interaction and the boredom of staying at home for 4 years straight. (Plus studying in groups seems more effective to me than self-studying) But hey, to each their own I guess...
Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 12:27:45 AM
At 5/20/2016 12:06:23 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 5/19/2016 11:24:18 PM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote:

I would go crazy with that little social interaction and the boredom of staying at home for 4 years straight. (Plus studying in groups seems more effective to me than self-studying) But hey, to each their own I guess...

Well, that's not really even what I had in mind. When I talked about "self-studying", I was thinking more of reading books in your field of interest that were written by experienced authors. I meant self-education in the sense of not having anything to do with college at all.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 2:39:38 PM
At 5/10/2016 1:15:56 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote: But besides that, what else is it about college that makes it so particularly special?

Employers don't care about college degrees, per se. They care about people who can do what the employer needs. A college degree just offers some evidence of that. Sometimes bureaucracy requires a degree (e.g. it doesn't matter how good a medical doctor you are, if you don't have a doctor's degree), but more often, bureaucracy just requires certification, which you can often get without a degree.

Get a low level job in the industry you want a career in. Self-teach and use your job to demonstrate to your employer than you can do more, and you'll get promotions. And, if you're not moving as fast as your skills warrant, become self-employed.
Kescarte_DeJudica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 2:41:45 PM
At 5/20/2016 2:39:38 PM, Rukado wrote:
At 5/10/2016 1:15:56 AM, Kescarte_DeJudica wrote: But besides that, what else is it about college that makes it so particularly special?

Employers don't care about college degrees, per se. They care about people who can do what the employer needs. A college degree just offers some evidence of that. Sometimes bureaucracy requires a degree (e.g. it doesn't matter how good a medical doctor you are, if you don't have a doctor's degree), but more often, bureaucracy just requires certification, which you can often get without a degree.

Get a low level job in the industry you want a career in. Self-teach and use your job to demonstrate to your employer than you can do more, and you'll get promotions. And, if you're not moving as fast as your skills warrant, become self-employed.

My thought exactly. You hit the nail right on the head.
sarath749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:15:38 PM
Word education has too much importance than common man can ever imagine. People generally misinterpret college graduation as education. Education is really about the personal understandings about the life itself. This includes a personal ability to empathize feelings and emotions of others and himself. Collectively education is developing a positive attitude towards the world around. A positive attitude can be developed from fundamental understanding about life.
An appropriate education should cultivate positive qualities such contentment, compassion, courage, love, willpower, self-control and self-sufficiency. Amongst of all contentment is important one. The source of sorrow and unhappiness is largely associated with lack of contentment in life. When a person is incapable in adjusting external changes and misfortunes,
http://www.postsmaster.com...
Johnhu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 6:59:45 PM
I am always for something there you got diploma........... you can read by yourself all the time http://sh.st...
For people who work in garden http://sh.st...
SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 6:41:13 PM
Being an autodidact is very difficult

You don't learn subjects in neat little segments with meaningless boundaries like all the college kids, and you don't have a piece of paper to get instant false credibility.

So even if you have great ideas and can intuit connections between disciplines that are beyond the ken of experts, nobody with the brains and education to understand you will bother to listen.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...