Jump to topic:

Class presentations=Torture

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 4:57:14 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I'm pretty sure every student would agree with me on this! I absolutely HATE it when teachers assign students presentations! I don't mind group presentations because then, I have other people talking in front of the class with me but when I have to do a solo presentation, I literally feel nauseous and get butterflies in my stomach until the day of the presentation and when I do the actual presentation, I always shake and get nervous and act like a nervous wreck! When I finish the presentation, I always tell myself in my head what I did wrong! And I don't know why but there's ALWAYS that one person that's so good at presentations that you just feel jealous of! I am very shy so that doesn't help either! I wish teachers made presentations optional and allowed shy students who don't want to talk in front of the class like me to do an alternative assignment with the same points assigned as the presentation! That would be WAY more fair! Anyways, how do you feel about presentations and do you agree with me that presentations are a form of torture that teachers give to students!
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:23:32 PM
A lot of what happens in public schools is torture, unnecessary torture. But, this doesn't include class presentations.

In life, many times you'll need to give a presentation or lead a group. Each of your teachers themselves do this every day in the classroom. By doing it in class, you're being prepared of life. You need to do it in school exactly because it feels like torture and doing in class will help get you beyond that feeling.

If you have a presentation, be super-prepared and keep it short. That'll make it go relatively easily. Most of the other kids giving presentations are also nervous, so you're in good company.

Give your presentation a few times outside of class before you do it in class.
DarkDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 7:45:11 PM
I agree, in one of my classes we had to do 'solo talk' on our AVU (Added Value Unit) Which means we choose a topic of our own interest and research it, this subject was English so our AVU was to be on a book and film of our choice. Then we had to stand in front of the class and tell them about it (I.E why we chose it, events, themes shown, characters, similarities between book and film, differences and blah blah blah) And I kept shaking and moving my hands around in weird motions and saying 'uh' and 'um' and I went so red, I could feel my face burning with every students eyes on me like a hawk.

I hate ANY kind of presentation in front of the class... I might be better at it if it was people I didn't know at all.... Maybe...
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 9:57:57 PM
At 6/5/2016 7:45:11 PM, DarkDebate wrote:
I agree, in one of my classes we had to do 'solo talk' on our AVU (Added Value Unit) Which means we choose a topic of our own interest and research it, this subject was English so our AVU was to be on a book and film of our choice. Then we had to stand in front of the class and tell them about it (I.E why we chose it, events, themes shown, characters, similarities between book and film, differences and blah blah blah) And I kept shaking and moving my hands around in weird motions and saying 'uh' and 'um' and I went so red, I could feel my face burning with every students eyes on me like a hawk.

I hate ANY kind of presentation in front of the class... I might be better at it if it was people I didn't know at all.... Maybe...
I always shake a little during presentations and it's so embarrassing. It also doesn't help that I usually do presentations in front of people I know but at the same time, doing presentations in front of strangers would be equally embarrassing for me.
DarkDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 1:52:50 PM
At 6/5/2016 9:57:57 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 6/5/2016 7:45:11 PM, DarkDebate wrote:

I always shake a little during presentations and it's so embarrassing. It also doesn't help that I usually do presentations in front of people I know but at the same time, doing presentations in front of strangers would be equally embarrassing for me.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the circumstances for me but its so nerve racking I agree that schools should do something about this :D
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 2:18:31 AM
At 6/1/2016 4:57:14 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I'm pretty sure every student would agree with me on this! I absolutely HATE it when teachers assign students presentations! ...

Life makes everyone do lots of things they wish they didn't have to do. Courage is doing what you have to do despite fear. One way to help cope is to imagine that you are outside of your body controlling the other you that is giving the presentation. View yourself as the controller of the puppet you that is doing the dirty work. That type of attitude gives you a safer distance. It's an old Jedi mind trick.

It's better to learn courage doing something that has no real danger, rather than when you face something that poses a real threat of injury. Prepare, rehearse, and have confidence.

Polls show that in general people fear public speaking more than cancer, more than anything else. You have lots of company.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 2:30:46 AM
That is weird. I hate any form of public speaking, but love presentations. I get ablot of anxiety about them, butblove doing it in a classroom setting.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 3:44:39 AM
At 6/7/2016 2:18:31 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 6/1/2016 4:57:14 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I'm pretty sure every student would agree with me on this! I absolutely HATE it when teachers assign students presentations! ...

Life makes everyone do lots of things they wish they didn't have to do. Courage is doing what you have to do despite fear. One way to help cope is to imagine that you are outside of your body controlling the other you that is giving the presentation. View yourself as the controller of the puppet you that is doing the dirty work. That type of attitude gives you a safer distance. It's an old Jedi mind trick.

It's better to learn courage doing something that has no real danger, rather than when you face something that poses a real threat of injury. Prepare, rehearse, and have confidence.

Polls show that in general people fear public speaking more than cancer, more than anything else. You have lots of company.

You're right! Courage is about running through obstacles, even obstacles that you don't want to face!

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely have to try it!