Jump to topic:

Are teachers sexist?

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:42:13 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
In 6th grade, my language arts teacher told the class, "Boys, don't bring your smelly socks to school." Even though this sounds harmless, it is actually not that harmless because girls wear smelly socks too and after you wear socks on your feet for a certain amount of time, they're going to get smelly, regardless of whether you're male or female. When my language arts teacher said this, I was very offended and disgusted that no one seemed to be taking her sexist joke seriously.

In 7th grade, my math class was having a celebratory feast for getting the highest class average and my math teacher said, "Ladies first." This phrase has gotten on my nerves since the day I first heard it. This phrase is incredibly sexist because it associates women with etiquette and men with the very sexist "Women deserve special treatment" concept. Not all women deserve special treatment because there are many women who are just plain rude and disrespectful. The same goes for men. The fact that my math teacher even said "Ladies first" pissed me off. He could have just called on the students' names in alphabetical order but instead, he allowed the women to eat first. This phrase, "Ladies first", needs to be abolished for life!

In 8th grade, my science teacher said, "We men are stupid!" No, we men are certainly NOT stupid! There are plenty of stupid women and plenty of stupid men but don't be sexist and say all men are stupid because that is NOT true!

In 8th grade, my French teacher said two sexist things:
1) "Men should always pay for the woman!" When I heard this, me and every other man was like "WTF" because to say something as sexist as that is simply NOT okay. The girls in the class smiled when they heard that but the boys, including me, were extremely annoyed that the French teacher, who was female, would say something like that. Men are NOT cash cows so don't say that men should always pay for the woman! This sexist stereotype is so frustrating!
2) "Guys, you should NEVER hit a woman!" This was sexist in a way because she didn't specify that it's okay to hit a woman IF she sexually harasses you, punches you, hits you, and physically harms you in any way. The same goes for men! Self-defense is ALWAYS okay, regardless of what gender the victim is.

In 9th grade, my biology teacher said two sexist things:
1) "Girls are smarter than boys!" This is NOT true for girls OR boys because smartness is not a matter of gender! Smartness is a matter of how intellectual you are.
2) "Boys smell bad." There are some boys who smell bad. There are also some girls who smell bad. Some people always assume that all boys smell bad and this is NOT true AT ALL!

In 9th grade, my English teacher said, "All teenage boys think about sex." This is NOT true because girls can think about sex too and I do not think about sex 24/7. Not all men are sex-addicts/perverts.

So, are teachers trained to be sexist or are some teachers just sexist?

Either way, ALL teachers should be required to take a college-level sociology class, a college-level psychology class, and a college-level class that talks about the many different types of discrimination against social groups.
vic.berg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 6:31:13 PM
No, I would not call these teachers sexist. It may seem unfair blaming the guys for having smelly socks and sexual fantasies, but I would still use the word sexist to describe more malign episodes. What your teachers are doing are reproducing stereotypes, probably without thinking. I agree with you in that there should be more focus on stopping this in their education. Sex- and race prejudice takes a long time to change, especially if the educators don't focus on it themselves.

The episode in your french class was perhaps intended to teach the class about french customs, so that you wouldn't act rude were you to invite some french girl out for dinner some day?
CassianWilliamCrawford
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:41:18 PM
Some are and some aren't. You might find this hard to believe, but teachers are human beings as well. Some are rotten to the core whilst others are amazing people and great role models. My Latin teacher is quite sexist, but I don't let that bother me. I think it's got to with the fact that she's had some bad experiences with men in the past. Maybe the same applies to some of your teachers? I go to a boys' boarding school so I don't understand what she's doing here in the first place.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:38:22 PM
Males are charged more for life insurance and car insurance -- just for being male.

Females aren't changed more for any insurance, not even medical insurance even though their medical claims vastly exceed that of males.

Women are the weaker sex (and, blacks are the dumber race). Society violates the freedoms of white men and also to oppresses white men in an attempt to cause outcomes to be equal ( e.g. "equal pay", even though the government already forces companies to pay women more the for same work, but women do less work).

It's okay for your teachers to be "sexist" against boys because you teachers know boys are better.
CassianWilliamCrawford
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 7:08:14 AM
At 6/26/2016 9:38:22 PM, Rukado wrote:
Males are charged more for life insurance and car insurance -- just for being male.

Females aren't changed more for any insurance, not even medical insurance even though their medical claims vastly exceed that of males.

Women are the weaker sex (and, blacks are the dumber race). Society violates the freedoms of white men and also to oppresses white men in an attempt to cause outcomes to be equal ( e.g. "equal pay", even though the government already forces companies to pay women more the for same work, but women do less work).

It's okay for your teachers to be "sexist" against boys because you teachers know boys are better.

Cringeworthy
mgibbons
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 4:01:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 6/18/2016 10:42:13 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
In 6th grade, my language arts teacher told the class, "Boys, don't bring your smelly socks to school." Even though this sounds harmless, it is actually not that harmless because girls wear smelly socks too and after you wear socks on your feet for a certain amount of time, they're going to get smelly, regardless of whether you're male or female. When my language arts teacher said this, I was very offended and disgusted that no one seemed to be taking her sexist joke seriously.

In 7th grade, my math class was having a celebratory feast for getting the highest class average and my math teacher said, "Ladies first." This phrase has gotten on my nerves since the day I first heard it. This phrase is incredibly sexist because it associates women with etiquette and men with the very sexist "Women deserve special treatment" concept. Not all women deserve special treatment because there are many women who are just plain rude and disrespectful. The same goes for men. The fact that my math teacher even said "Ladies first" pissed me off. He could have just called on the students' names in alphabetical order but instead, he allowed the women to eat first. This phrase, "Ladies first", needs to be abolished for life!

In 8th grade, my science teacher said, "We men are stupid!" No, we men are certainly NOT stupid! There are plenty of stupid women and plenty of stupid men but don't be sexist and say all men are stupid because that is NOT true!

1) "Men should always pay for the woman!" When I heard this, me and every other man was like "WTF" because to say something as sexist as that is simply NOT okay. The girls in the class smiled when they heard that but the boys, including me, were extremely annoyed that the French teacher, who was female, would say something like that. Men are NOT cash cows so don't say that men should always pay for the woman! This sexist stereotype is so frustrating!
2) "Guys, you should NEVER hit a woman!" This was sexist in a way because she didn't specify that it's okay to hit a woman IF she sexually harasses you, punches you, hits you, and physically harms you in any way. The same goes for men! Self-defense is ALWAYS okay, regardless of what gender the victim is.

1) "Girls are smarter than boys!" This is NOT true for girls OR boys because smartness is not a matter of gender! Smartness is a matter of how intellectual you are.
2) "Boys smell bad." There are some boys who smell bad. There are also some girls who smell bad. Some people always assume that all boys smell bad and this is NOT true AT ALL!

In 9th grade, my English teacher said, "All teenage boys think about sex." This is NOT true because girls can think about sex too and I do not think about sex 24/7. Not all men are sex-addicts/perverts.

Either way, ALL teachers should be required to take a college-level sociology class, a college-level psychology class, and a college-level class that talks about the many different types of discrimination against social groups.

While I agree with the majority of this post, however when you say that your 9th grade teacher stated that "Boys smell bad", I would consider this statement far from sexist. I believe you may be letting your emotion get the best of you when considering sexist comments. Just because she states a generalization about a gender does not mean she is sexist, rather it means she is making a generalization that could be true in some cases, yet untrue in others. When speaking of controversial topics, it can be easy to allow emotions to get the best of you when analyzing statements. All other accounts, I believe, show great examples of sexist comments and certainly support your statement that teachers are sexist.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 10:19:31 AM
Posted: 1 month ago

New question....Does it matter? Are sexist comments always worth discussing?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
sca1een
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 3:45:44 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I guess they are..recently seen a post somewhere where a teacher graded a work and wrote "pretty good for a boy" or something like this..I guess it was about handwriting..but still..I think lots of teachers do follow stereotypes..even young teachers who I thought may be more opened but in fact they may be too harsh, even more than the older ones which I personally though are a way more stricter..I guess I'm also stereotyping teachers..at least I was..anyways..one of my college teachers (a few years older than my) was so unbearable ..she was showing in each and every way she is better..but that was only with girls..with boys she was so sweet and nice and cute and whatever..that was making me want to puke..remember doing whatever just to get out of her class..which got me into trouble sometimes..sometimes had to go to http://acewriters.org... so that I won't have to deal with her sexist assignments..still..during all my 16 years of studying this is was the only occasion of a sexist teacher..oh..and here is a nice post about stereotypes and sexist teachers http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
gilkai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 11:45:38 AM
Posted: 4 weeks ago

How many teachers there are in the world? Are all of them sexists? Why do you generalize? It doesn't make any sense, your experience is your experience: biased.