Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Why do teachers make sexist jokes?

Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 3:54:55 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'm not saying all teachers make sexist jokes but many teachers do. Here is a list of common sexist jokes that teachers say in school:
"Boys stink/Boys smell disgusting/Boys wear smelly socks."
"Girls are smarter than boys."
"Boys, you should never hit a girl."
"Boys should always pay for the girl."
"Ladies first."
"Boys think about sex all the time."
"Boys, toughen up!"
"She's a girl! You're a boy! You can handle yourself!"
"Girls don't fart/Girls don't poop"
"Why do boys like bathroom humor so much?"
"You throw like a girl!"
These sexist jokes may seem harmless but they can be very damaging to a person's well-being because these sexist jokes can cause people to become depressed and physically harm themselves.

When teachers make subtle and/or non-subtle sexist jokes in class, students always seem to laugh and be dismissive of those sexist jokes but these sexist jokes should not simply be dismissed! They should be reported and taken seriously because discrimination of ANY sort is simply not okay!

Why do so many teachers think that it's even slightly okay to make sexist jokes in class? Teachers are supposed to create a welcoming and and accepting environment for all students, and keep things professional at all times! Sexist jokes are not only unprofessional but they are also very harmful and biased towards certain social groups!

Whenever I hear a teacher make a sexist joke, I get very sad and disappointed because these are people who we trust to not only educate students but also be good role models for students and teach students without a biased judgment.

I am not biased towards anyone! I do not hate certain people because of what color their skin is or what gender they are! I hate certain people because they're completely stupid and goofy and/or talk too much.

Teachers should be reported for making racist and sexist jokes because their job is to be professional and welcoming of students, not unprofessional and biased towards certain students!

So why do some teachers make sexist jokes? When teachers say these sexist jokes in class, are they aware that they're being sexist and misogynic/misandric or are they just stupid on the inside and not aware of the great harm they're causing to certain students?
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 5:52:12 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Those aren't jokes, they are generalities. Teachers say them because they are either true or have enough truth to be reasonable generalities. It's a ridiculous belief of PC taken as a religion that there are no valid generalities. It's good that teachers express generalities, so long as they also acknowledge that it's valid to be an exception.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 4:09:34 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/23/2016 5:52:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Those aren't jokes, they are generalities. Teachers say them because they are either true or have enough truth to be reasonable generalities. It's a ridiculous belief of PC taken as a religion that there are no valid generalities. It's good that teachers express generalities, so long as they also acknowledge that it's valid to be an exception.

Those aren't generalities. They're stereotypes and sexist stereotypes at that, along with some sexist phrases that do nothing but spread hate!

I am so sick and tired of people being sexist towards men! I've had enough of it! >:(
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 8:39:13 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 4:09:34 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Those aren't generalities. They're stereotypes and sexist stereotypes at that, along with some sexist phrases that do nothing but spread hate!

If they are not valid generalities, then they must false. "Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys. So which of the others do you claim to be false. Is "Professional basketball players are tall." a valid generality, even though it is possible to find exceptions? Political correctness requires that some true things not be said.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 8:47:10 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 8:39:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 4:09:34 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Those aren't generalities. They're stereotypes and sexist stereotypes at that, along with some sexist phrases that do nothing but spread hate!

If they are not valid generalities, then they must false. "Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys. So which of the others do you claim to be false. Is "Professional basketball players are tall." a valid generality, even though it is possible to find exceptions? Political correctness requires that some true things not be said.

Just because high school girls do better academically than boys doesn't mean that girls are smarter than boys! There are lots of intelligent high school boys and lots of intelligent boys in general! Statistics aren't always accurate!
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:02:48 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 8:47:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:39:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 4:09:34 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Those aren't generalities. They're stereotypes and sexist stereotypes at that, along with some sexist phrases that do nothing but spread hate!

If they are not valid generalities, then they must false. "Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys. So which of the others do you claim to be false. Is "Professional basketball players are tall." a valid generality, even though it is possible to find exceptions? Political correctness requires that some true things not be said.

Just because high school girls do better academically than boys doesn't mean that girls are smarter than boys! There are lots of intelligent high school boys and lots of intelligent boys in general! Statistics aren't always accurate!

I said, ""Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys." So I already had said that the generality was false. The forum topic was "Why do teachers make sexist jokes?" It's because either it's true or there is enough truth in it to be an interesting observation. In this case, the interesting part is that girls generally do better than boys in high school. There is no error in either the high school statistics or the general statistics. What's true, and every person knows, is that the statistical average does not mean that every person is like average. That's not a reason to avoid ever mentioning averages.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:05:25 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 9:02:48 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:47:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:39:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 4:09:34 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Those aren't generalities. They're stereotypes and sexist stereotypes at that, along with some sexist phrases that do nothing but spread hate!

If they are not valid generalities, then they must false. "Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys. So which of the others do you claim to be false. Is "Professional basketball players are tall." a valid generality, even though it is possible to find exceptions? Political correctness requires that some true things not be said.

Just because high school girls do better academically than boys doesn't mean that girls are smarter than boys! There are lots of intelligent high school boys and lots of intelligent boys in general! Statistics aren't always accurate!

I said, ""Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys." So I already had said that the generality was false. The forum topic was "Why do teachers make sexist jokes?" It's because either it's true or there is enough truth in it to be an interesting observation. In this case, the interesting part is that girls generally do better than boys in high school. There is no error in either the high school statistics or the general statistics. What's true, and every person knows, is that the statistical average does not mean that every person is like average. That's not a reason to avoid ever mentioning averages.

Statistics are just a bunch of numbers and percents that were determined because of a study! They don't really mean anything!
albina.kali
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 10:47:30 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/4/2016 9:05:25 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:02:48 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:47:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:39:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 4:09:34 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Those aren't generalities. They're stereotypes and sexist stereotypes at that, along with some sexist phrases that do nothing but spread hate!

If they are not valid generalities, then they must false. "Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys. So which of the others do you claim to be false. Is "Professional basketball players are tall." a valid generality, even though it is possible to find exceptions? Political correctness requires that some true things not be said.

Just because high school girls do better academically than boys doesn't mean that girls are smarter than boys! There are lots of intelligent high school boys and lots of intelligent boys in general! Statistics aren't always accurate!

I said, ""Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys." So I already had said that the generality was false. The forum topic was "Why do teachers make sexist jokes?" It's because either it's true or there is enough truth in it to be an interesting observation. In this case, the interesting part is that girls generally do better than boys in high school. There is no error in either the high school statistics or the general statistics. What's true, and every person knows, is that the statistical average does not mean that every person is like average. That's not a reason to avoid ever mentioning averages.

Statistics are just a bunch of numbers and percents that were determined because of a study! They don't really mean anything!

I'm sorry, I saw this and had to comment...
Statistics mean a LOT. What the above person was trying to explain is yes, the jokes might be sexist but they come from somewhere. Something had to happen in order for an idea to be passed around. As a girl, I would like to point out that the stereotype is that girls are more organized and pay more attention isn't true. Both boys and girls can be organized and do well in school. That doesn't mean one gender is smarter than the other, just that people have believed girls have the ability to do better in school because they are girls.
Statistics are numbers that have no meaning? Alright. Let's just close the presidential election and pick the president on who is prettier :)
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 10:51:41 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 10:47:30 PM, albina.kali wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:05:25 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:02:48 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:47:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/4/2016 8:39:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/4/2016 4:09:34 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Those aren't generalities. They're stereotypes and sexist stereotypes at that, along with some sexist phrases that do nothing but spread hate!

If they are not valid generalities, then they must false. "Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys. So which of the others do you claim to be false. Is "Professional basketball players are tall." a valid generality, even though it is possible to find exceptions? Political correctness requires that some true things not be said.

Just because high school girls do better academically than boys doesn't mean that girls are smarter than boys! There are lots of intelligent high school boys and lots of intelligent boys in general! Statistics aren't always accurate!

I said, ""Girls are smarter than boys." is false overall, but in high school girls do better academically then boys." So I already had said that the generality was false. The forum topic was "Why do teachers make sexist jokes?" It's because either it's true or there is enough truth in it to be an interesting observation. In this case, the interesting part is that girls generally do better than boys in high school. There is no error in either the high school statistics or the general statistics. What's true, and every person knows, is that the statistical average does not mean that every person is like average. That's not a reason to avoid ever mentioning averages.

Statistics are just a bunch of numbers and percents that were determined because of a study! They don't really mean anything!

I'm sorry, I saw this and had to comment...
Statistics mean a LOT. What the above person was trying to explain is yes, the jokes might be sexist but they come from somewhere. Something had to happen in order for an idea to be passed around. As a girl, I would like to point out that the stereotype is that girls are more organized and pay more attention isn't true. Both boys and girls can be organized and do well in school. That doesn't mean one gender is smarter than the other, just that people have believed girls have the ability to do better in school because they are girls.
Statistics are numbers that have no meaning? Alright. Let's just close the presidential election and pick the president on who is prettier :)

Oops! I read this and understood what you said! Statistics do mean a lot but what would you really use statistics for besides just including them in speeches to make people care about certain issues or including them in essays or the news?

We definitely shouldn't choose the president who is prettier! Good looks don't really serve that much a purpose. Intelligence on the other hand serves a HUGE purpose!