Jump to topic:

What does (sic) mean

ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:30:51 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
When ever seeing written quotes with error in them there will be (sic) post-error, What does this mean?
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:58:28 AM
At 7/2/2016 10:30:51 PM, ironslippers wrote:
When ever seeing written quotes with error in them there will be (sic) post-error, What does this mean?

I think it means "as it was written".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 11:29:22 AM

You could have done as anyone smart would do and use google...

It stands for 'thus', or in full 'sic erat scriptum', which is Latin meaning 'thus it was written'. You use it when you are quoting a source and there is a 'spelling mistake'. As an example, because I live in Australia, when referencing U.S. texts and a word like 'organization' comes up, I should (but never do) write '(sic)' next to it, as Australia follows the British spelling of 'organisation'.

This is done to outline a 'spelling mistake' which was done by the source and not by yourself, so that readers do not have the impression that you made a mistake or wrote something strange (that's basically it).

You mostly will find (sic) in academic texts where a source is quoted but there may be an outright spelling mistake or simply a different spelling in a different country, or, quite popularly in reference to older texts which may spell things in a way which would be considered 'strange' nowadays.

But academically there is a whole other debate about the usage of sic, some saying that it ridicules spelling mistakes, is poor form and other nonsense.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:36:25 AM
At 7/3/2016 11:29:22 AM, WAM wrote:

You could have done as anyone smart would do and use google...

True, Thanks, I was compelled to post to the education forum and this came to mind

It stands for 'thus', or in full 'sic erat scriptum', which is Latin meaning 'thus it was written'. You use it when you are quoting a source and there is a 'spelling mistake'. As an example, because I live in Australia, when referencing U.S. texts and a word like 'organization' comes up, I should (but never do) write '(sic)' next to it, as Australia follows the British spelling of 'organisation'.

This is done to outline a 'spelling mistake' which was done by the source and not by yourself, so that readers do not have the impression that you made a mistake or wrote something strange (that's basically it).

You mostly will find (sic) in academic texts where a source is quoted but there may be an outright spelling mistake or simply a different spelling in a different country, or, quite popularly in reference to older texts which may spell things in a way which would be considered 'strange' nowadays.

But academically there is a whole other debate about the usage of sic, some saying that it ridicules spelling mistakes, is poor form and other nonsense.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Droyde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 9:48:45 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
How is this "debate" material? Seriously, a quick google search could have answered this question.
This website is not yahoo answers. Please THINK before you post.