Jump to topic:

Should homework be banned?

SummerHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:51:40 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Yes it should be banned. I recall that I had to write a few types of essay it was enermous work + exams. So I cheated a bit. I ordered one on https://www.privatewriting.com... . It was the only way to write essays on time.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:39:12 PM
At 7/4/2016 1:34:32 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
I don't think it should.

What do you think?

On balance it has more cons than pros.

1. Homework does not fuel academic success
2. Homework inhibits family time and burdens parents
3. Homework infringes on playtime and recreation time
4. Homework fosters resentment that is detrimental and unnecessary
President of DDO
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 10:49:32 PM
At 7/14/2016 4:39:12 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/4/2016 1:34:32 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
I don't think it should.

What do you think?

On balance it has more cons than pros.

1. Homework does not fuel academic success
2. Homework inhibits family time and burdens parents
3. Homework infringes on playtime and recreation time
4. Homework fosters resentment that is detrimental and unnecessary

Homework is practice. Students should practice what they learned.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:00:34 AM
At 7/14/2016 3:51:40 PM, SummerHaze wrote:
Yes it should be banned. I recall that I had to write a few types of essay it was enermous work + exams. So I cheated a bit. I ordered one on https://www.privatewriting.com... . It was the only way to write essays on time.

Just because you have an issue because you do not want to use a tutor does not mean homework should be banned. Homework is a preparatory tool to help train students to learn the material.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 6:12:11 PM
At 7/15/2016 10:49:32 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Only if it's useful. Studies show that it's mostly not. Otherwise it's just boring, repetitive, and decreases one's interest in school and learning - as evidenced by research on the "drill and kill" effects of most HW assignments.
President of DDO
Otto_Hasenkamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 4:45:02 PM
At 7/19/2016 6:12:11 PM, Danielle wrote:
Only if it's useful. Studies show that it's mostly not. Otherwise it's just boring, repetitive, and decreases one's interest in school and learning - as evidenced by research on the "drill and kill" effects of most HW assignments.

School isn't there to teach you everything you should know. Most of the assignments are there to give students a taste of each subject. If teachers stopped giving history, chemistry, math, etc. they will never know what it's like, and we'll slowly run out of historians, scientists, politicians, etc.
Besides, by keeping the mind busy and exercised with assignments, children will find day-to-day routines and jobs way easier to do.
"Vor uns liegt Deutschland, in uns marschiert Deutschland, und hinter uns, kommt Deutschland!"
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 4:57:58 AM
At 7/19/2016 6:12:11 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/15/2016 10:49:32 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

It's amazing how little people took from your first post, and how they didn't even ask to see the study. I'm also familiar with the studies and I agree with your points. I think, however, the others on here were publicly educated.
BenjaminStigsen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 3:40:37 PM
Some of you have valid points. In my opinion homework should not be banned and I still go to school and stick with this opinion. A lot of the things we learn and will keep on learning will be absolutely useless and yes they could focus on some things more. BUT a lot of the things we learn is also useful. Maybe it doesn't seem useful at 1st but at some point we need a lot of it. Homework is not only to see how good we are at a certain subject but also to see how we get to the certain results, and if we can get it done before the deadline. Those things will be taken into consideration at the end of the year.

Without homework there wouldn't be a deadline where the students had to be done with a certain project and the only moment where they will do such a task with a deadline is at the exam or at tests. So homework is also there for us to find out a way to find the results quicker and easier but still with an explanation of how we do it. Tests are there to train us at thinking fasts but also learn to prioritize the certain questions so you can get more and show more of what you have learned and how you have learned it.
-Benjamin Stigsen
Droyde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 9:46:45 PM
No. Most people who complain about homework either lack the time management skills necessary to complete it (which makes it good to have homework in order to gain those skills), or complain about having too much homework, which is a different issue.
Of course, having hours and hours worth of essays, worksheets, problems, and tests to study for is excessive. That is a problem. However, having maybe 1-1.5 hours of homework each day in order to reinforce what you learned during the school day is necessary. If the only learning time you had was inside the school building, and then you came home and spent the rest of the day goofing off, you would likely forget most of what you learned during school, making school completely pointless. However, homework helps you to retain more of this information, making school as a whole much more powerful and purposeful.
fahem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 12:04:38 AM
Homework should be banned because learning comes from the learner, not school. If you truly want to learn something, learn it because you want to learn, not because you are forced by the school.
Learner
BenjaminStigsen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 12:21:45 PM
At 8/2/2016 12:04:38 AM, fahem wrote:
Homework should be banned because learning comes from the learner, not school. If you truly want to learn something, learn it because you want to learn, not because you are forced by the school.

Yes of course but that is never going to happen in a proper way, it's way easier to say than it actually is. I know from my start of school I hated it and didn't want to do it and so does a lot of other people. But now that I am a little older I realize why it's necessary. So what if I skipped the classes and forgot about the stuff I learned in the first few years of school? Then I wouldn't be able to catch up to what I missed learning before it's to late. We are talking about teenagers that wants to live their life, we are talking about teenagers that gets a little rebellious towards any adults trying to help them. As a teenager myself I can tell you that I was not going to get good grades if my parents and teachers didn't push me to.

You can't explain to a young kid that "You really have to pay attention today, or else you will miss out on a lot of stuff" no, that's not how this works and will never work. So I would say homework should not be banned but they should focus more on some subjects than others.
-Benjamin Stigsen
neenathomas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2016 10:31:46 AM
No i am not support it. Home work is very essential and it must be include in academics. Homework is one of the best source to improve our skill . It is given to students for hardworking. Because of lack of hardworking today many students struggling for sucess. thesis writing service reviews describe it in detail.
thesis writing service reviews
StevenMorris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 10:02:35 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Absolutely Not. Homework should never be banned. It is highly handy in giving an opportunity to students to learn, improve and practice.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 11:25:10 PM

That is plagiarism, which is illegal, because you're taking someone else's work and claiming it as your own.

If your teachers find out that someone else wrote your essay, then they'll probably suspend you or expel you.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 11:26:43 PM
At 8/13/2016 11:25:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

That is plagiarism, which is illegal, because you're taking someone else's work and claiming it as your own.

If your teachers find out that someone else wrote your essay, then they'll probably suspend you or expel you.

Plus, I think you'd feel better about yourself if YOU wrote your OWN essay instead of asking someone else to write it for you because then it would be YOUR work, not someone else's work and that would probably make you feel better about yourself.

Just saying.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 7:42:48 AM
Homework is incredibly effected if, and only if, it's the student teaching him/herself. If it's completely boring to the student and the student is not exited or has no incentive to learn, both school and homework will accomplish nothing.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 7:45:37 AM
At 8/13/2016 11:25:10 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

No, she traded for it. She employed someone to write for her. It was voluntary.
What you are talking about is when someone rips an article and changes a couple words. There is no consent, as the author doesn't even know his/her work is being plagiarized.

Depends on her teacher. Although if it were mine, I'd get in some serious trouble.
buycustomessaysonline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 8:48:45 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Students have overloaded with many academic works and studies. They haven't get enough time to take rest. They can't get time to spend with their friends and pets. So I think, online homework helping services like dissertation writing service are helpful for them.
https://sites.google.com...
essay writing service
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2016 7:33:18 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/29/2016 8:48:45 AM, buycustomessaysonline wrote:
Students have overloaded with many academic works and studies. They haven't get enough time to take rest. They can't get time to spend with their friends and pets. So I think, online homework helping services like dissertation writing service are helpful for them.
https://sites.google.com...

What about weekends?

Homework is fine, but from Mon to Fri. Family time is on weekends, when adults don't work. It has sense to relief students from homework these days.

Best Regards.
serenawillaims5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 10:21:57 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
different schools and college band homework for student. many student facing a problem in homework like course burden http://www.doneassignment.co.uk... in my opinion homework should be band in all school and university.
keenanl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 3:27:06 PM
Homework should not be banned because it is a chance for students to learn for themselves at their own pace. If perhaps a student is falling behind they can get practice and take as much time as necessary to complete their problems. Also, students who understand certain topics instantaneously and do not need extra practice can complete the assigned problems quickly and can use the extra time they have to get ahead.

Homework is a way for students to test themselves without having to receive a grade if there is just a completion grade for the assigned problems. We like to blame teachers for our inability to learn and understand topics, but sometimes it is necessary to learn for yourself and homework provides the opportunity for that by providing students with problems that pertain to the topic.

That being said, I think homework should be limited because a student's attention to the work wanes as more and more is piled on. It should not be banned altogether though.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 4:03:25 PM
At the elementary school level homework does not increase academic performance. But it does instill independent responsibility, work ethic and routine, getting it done and turning it in on time; skills that are necessary later on. Homework up to the 6th grade should be minimal to develop these skills. After this time there's an increase of curriculum. Time allotted in class is insufficient to develop mastery of topics. Independent practice and research skill development, the learning how to seek out knowledge and information becomes necessary. This in itself is the development of a new set of skills that encourages students to be lifelong learners and self directed toward this aim.
ZeldaMafia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:44:27 PM
At 7/19/2016 1:00:34 AM, Hiu wrote:

Just because you have an issue because you do not want to use a tutor does not mean homework should be banned. Homework is a preparatory tool to help train students to learn the material.

It might have been a couple decades ago. Today, its all about completing unfinished schoolwork for good grades. Its completely unnecessary and as others' have mentioned, reduces family time and destroys the chance for a student to relax.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 11:58:20 PM
At 10/10/2016 7:44:27 PM, ZeldaMafia wrote:
At 7/19/2016 1:00:34 AM, Hiu wrote:

It might have been a couple decades ago. Today, its all about completing unfinished schoolwork for good grades. Its completely unnecessary and as others' have mentioned, reduces family time and destroys the chance for a student to relax.

Yeah ok...It seems to work for me and the millions of other college graduates