Jump to topic:

Is it possible??

THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2010 12:37:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was wondering if it is possible to take any high school student no matter there skill level and turn them into an effective debator. That person has to be able to construct good argumentation and be able to come up with rebutals and good resolutions. Can this be done without taking a debate class??
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2010 12:50:48 PM
Only if the person wants to be good. There were people at my school who learned everything about formal debate, and they were awful. You don't need a class for it, but you should do formal debates which you would need to organize yourself. Unless this person wants to be on a debate team. The best way for them to improve is to do a tournament, and practice with their own team beforehand.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 1:24:25 AM
Start your experiment in the special ed dept, you'll get an answer faster.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 1:42:59 PM
At 12/21/2010 12:37:09 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible to take any high school student no matter there skill level and turn them into an effective debator. That person has to be able to construct good argumentation and be able to come up with rebutals and good resolutions. Can this be done without taking a debate class??

We have the technology . . .
debator = is spelled = debater
rebutals = is spelled = rebuttals
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 4:21:55 PM

That's like stating "If you take a 2nd grader and a college student, can you turn them both into an effective debater" Who do you think is most likely to be the better debater? The college student, even if he or she has no formal debating experience. Learning formal debating skills is only a small percent of becoming a good debater.

1) A complete grasp of concepts in the debate.
Simply "knowing" information is not good enough to win your debate. If somebody challenges that information, you would not be able to defend it unless you understand it, not just know it.
It takes time to learn a concept. The ones with good skill levels will be able to accomplish this task.
2) A good writing/speaking style
Writing style is very important to debating. If one can not explain concepts with coherence and efficiency then one will not win a debate. This is why the "college student" would become a much better debater then the "2nd grader"
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 4:25:41 PM
At 12/22/2010 1:42:59 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

We have the technology . . .
debator = is spelled = debater
rebutals = is spelled = rebuttals

....But not the budget... or time...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 1:37:39 AM
At 12/22/2010 4:25:17 PM, annhasle wrote:
It's entirely dependent on the high school student.

This.

If you have an opinionated, out-spoken, intelligent high-school student, you don't need to do much to turn him or her into a debater.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.