Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Ruining My Break . . .

SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 11:47:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was forced to come all the way to New York to stay with my uncle in his one bedroom apartment to work so they can try to put me in some snooty expensive private boarding school, and now I have to deal with my uncles hour sleep a day, work out at the gym and get a sprain and still expect you to get up and walk all over the dang place, I hate this and I have to do this sh*t for 2 weeks which to me is over the top and right now I am trying to convince my mom to use the money I made over the summer to take me home earlier . . . they think that simply beacuse these schools are more expensive it them better . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 3:38:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's an opportunity to go to a better school. How is that a bad thing?

So it's inconvenient to live with your uncle. It's a chance to have a better life after school. It would be worth it even if you had to live in a cardboard box under the freeway to be able to afford it. You don't understand yet how important school is, but you better figure it out soon while you still have the chance.

This is life. It's serious business. While you are whining about having to put up with your uncle, someone else out there is studying his tail off to be the best. School is a competition for the best jobs and the best lives; get serious about school, or you will be working for those who did.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 3:55:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/23/2010 3:38:51 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
It's an opportunity to go to a better school. How is that a bad thing?

So it's inconvenient to live with your uncle. It's a chance to have a better life after school. It would be worth it even if you had to live in a cardboard box under the freeway to be able to afford it. You don't understand yet how important school is, but you better figure it out soon while you still have the chance.

This is life. It's serious business. While you are whining about having to put up with your uncle, someone else out there is studying his tail off to be the best. School is a competition for the best jobs and the best lives; get serious about school, or you will be working for those who did.

It is a waste of money my current school actually provides better than the private schools they are trying to force me in . . . the private schools are no better than my public school they just have more stuck up brats there . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 7:49:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/23/2010 11:47:51 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I was forced to come all the way to New York to stay with my uncle in his one bedroom apartment to work so they can try to put me in some snooty expensive private boarding school, and now I have to deal with my uncles hour sleep a day, work out at the gym and get a sprain and still expect you to get up and walk all over the dang place, I hate this and I have to do this sh*t for 2 weeks which to me is over the top and right now I am trying to convince my mom to use the money I made over the summer to take me home earlier . . . they think that simply beacuse these schools are more expensive it them better . . .

Your point is...?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 12:59:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/23/2010 11:47:51 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I was forced to come all the way to New York to stay with my uncle in his one bedroom apartment to work so they can try to put me in some snooty expensive private boarding school, and now I have to deal with my uncles hour sleep a day, work out at the gym and get a sprain and still expect you to get up and walk all over the dang place, I hate this and I have to do this sh*t for 2 weeks which to me is over the top and right now I am trying to convince my mom to use the money I made over the summer to take me home earlier . . . they think that simply beacuse these schools are more expensive it them better . . .

How do you think your uncle feels about having you invade his privacy in this manner? And I know you mentioned *your* money a lot, but have you considered the fact that your mother is going to pour a lot of money into this so you can have a better future? I'm sorry that you get a place to sleep in, a chance to spend time in the city that I live in, and family that truly cares about you, but I think you should think a little less about what inconveniences you and more about what is being done for you out of love, especially at this time of year.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
WhiteWolf
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 12:38:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/23/2010 3:38:51 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
It's an opportunity to go to a better school. How is that a bad thing?

So it's inconvenient to live with your uncle. It's a chance to have a better life after school. It would be worth it even if you had to live in a cardboard box under the freeway to be able to afford it. You don't understand yet how important school is, but you better figure it out soon while you still have the chance.

This is life. It's serious business. While you are whining about having to put up with your uncle, someone else out there is studying his tail off to be the best. School is a competition for the best jobs and the best lives; get serious about school, or you will be working for those who did.

Wow wtf is this? Like scare tactics they use on kids in fourth grade? This is not China we have public, and free education. Why does he need to be miserable to go to a "better school." Look around at people who have better jobs than you did they go to some private high school? Probably not, and "serious business" life is what you want it to be. If you don't want to be at your uncles house then WHY are you there? This is your life. This isn't your moms, your uncles, some crazy Christian named Chrysippus, or mine, or anyone else's. If you are miserable enough to post on debate.org then you are not living your life man. Whats a better future? Becoming some doctor/engineer/lawyer/whatever who raises four kids who hate him because hes never home, and then dies when hes 76 with no personal happiness in life. Just him doing what would be good in the "long run"
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 1:02:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 12:38:54 AM, WhiteWolf wrote:
Wow wtf is this? Like scare tactics they use on kids in fourth grade?

Not really. It's something that teenagers tend to laugh at. Until they finally have responsibilities and grow up, and realize that their parents were right all along. The goal of life is enjoyment, but children tend to want to maximize their enjoyment immediately instead of maximizing enjoyment in general like adults do. So no, these aren't scare tactics. They're life lessons.

This is not China we have public, and free education.

China also has public, free education, and it's actually consistently ranked better than the education available in the US by global statistics.

Why does he need to be miserable to go to a "better school."

"Miserable" is relative. Why don't you ask him why he thinks he is miserable?

Look around at people who have better jobs than you did they go to some private high school?

Maybe not private, but they do go to good ones.

"serious business" life is what you want it to be. If you don't want to be at your uncles house then WHY are you there? This is your life. This isn't your moms, your uncles, some crazy Christian named Chrysippus, or mine, or anyone else's. If you are miserable enough to post on debate.org then you are not living your life man.

Your life impacts everyone else's life. This is something that children don't understand until they finally have some responsibility. I guess nobody ever considered the fact that Mom's sacrifice for 18 years deserves something in return? Maybe the kid can be a little less of a self-centered brat and give something back to his mom? Deal with this minor and temporary inconvenience in his life and stop being a drama queen so that he can make enough money so that his Mom can retire early and live comfortably?

Whats a better future? Becoming some doctor/engineer/lawyer/whatever who raises four kids who hate him because hes never home, and then dies when hes 76 with no personal happiness in life. Just him doing what would be good in the "long run"

I'm a hedonist, I strive for nothing more than my own pleasure, and maximizing it. It's a waste of life to make money if you can't ever spend or enjoy it. The problem is that you need to balance it.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 9:49:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Since no one uses this forum, I'm going to necropost.

HEY! WHAT DOES THIS THREAD SAY ABOUT IT'S TOPIC NUMBER?!

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 6:39:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/10/2013 9:49:29 AM, MassiveDump wrote:
Since no one uses this forum, I'm going to necropost.

HEY! WHAT DOES THIS THREAD SAY ABOUT IT'S TOPIC NUMBER?!

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Le sigh.

You're never gonna stop gravedigging, are ye? ;)
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus