Jump to topic:

Skipping College?

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:02:51 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
More and more information is coming out implying that college might not be the best course of action for everyone. It can be a questionable or tricky investment depending on your intended career. While college graduates still earn more money (by far) on balance compared to non-grads, many available jobs are within industries where a degree is not required. For example, trades like mechanics, HVAC technicians, electricians, plumbers, pipe fitters, etc. are all solid careers (many of them unionized) and do not require college, though might require another type of education such as trade school. That said, is ANYONE HERE planning on skipping college (or have you skipped college)? I've noticed a lot of people acknowledging that college is not necessarily where it's at, but I'm curious how many people are actually choosing to be the ones to opt out of college.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 5:24:37 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:55:36 PM, 21MolonLabe wrote:
I'm skipping it for now. Enlisting in the Marines instead.

You should research it and make sure that's what you really want to do...
President of DDO
NinaZarechnaya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 6:28:11 PM
I think skipping college is a better idea for those who have vocations in mind. I have absolutely no idea what to do with my life (I like absolutely everything) so I was thinking of taking a somewhat interdisciplinary course and seeing where it takes me.
21MolonLabe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 9:58:07 PM
At 7/21/2016 5:24:37 PM, Danielle wrote:

I have. I didn't get enough in scholarships/grants and I refuse to pay student debt till I'm 45. So I'm going to serve my 4 years and let my GI Bill pay for college. And I can even take up to 6 credit hours per semester while serving active duty. Also, any MOS training that I do can potentially count for college credit, depending on the college I eventually attend. And because I did JROTC, I am eligible for a premature promotion, so I'll be set.
21MolonLabe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:09:07 PM
At 7/21/2016 5:24:37 PM, Danielle wrote:

And by the time my enlistment is up, I should have my Paralegal Certification.
malinaloren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 12:32:51 PM
You do not have to skip college anymore because we provide the best assignment help in Australia by visiting our website at http://www.paperprovider-aus.com...
Assignment Help For Students
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 5:02:51 AM
At 7/20/2016 9:02:51 PM, Danielle wrote:
More and more information is coming out implying that college might not be the best course of action for everyone. It can be a questionable or tricky investment depending on your intended career. While college graduates still earn more money (by far) on balance compared to non-grads, many available jobs are within industries where a degree is not required. For example, trades like mechanics, HVAC technicians, electricians, plumbers, pipe fitters, etc. are all solid careers (many of them unionized) and do not require college, though might require another type of education such as trade school. That said, is ANYONE HERE planning on skipping college (or have you skipped college)? I've noticed a lot of people acknowledging that college is not necessarily where it's at, but I'm curious how many people are actually choosing to be the ones to opt out of college.

This really depends on what you want for a career. Indeed, the various trades provide decent careers, and going to a trade school might be a better idea. And, there is another option of spending your first two years at a community college, and then transferring to a more expensive, more prestigious university. And, there is another options of testing-out, taking AP tests, CLEP tests, and Dantes tests.

Pretty much, the best points of advice are:
- avoid degrees in liberal arts
- if your parents aren't wealthy, go through community college first and then transfer.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:44:21 PM
At 7/28/2016 5:02:51 AM, capob wrote:

This really depends on what you want for a career. Indeed, the various trades provide decent careers, and going to a trade school might be a better idea. And, there is another option of spending your first two years at a community college, and then transferring to a more expensive, more prestigious university. And, there is another options of testing-out, taking AP tests, CLEP tests, and Dantes tests.

- if your parents aren't wealthy, go through community college first and then transfer.

May I ask why that is? (I'm not saying you're wrong, since I'm not from the US, but I was genuinely curious because that would be horrible advice here...)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:52:34 PM
At 7/28/2016 2:44:21 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

May I ask why that is? (I'm not saying you're wrong, since I'm not from the US, but I was genuinely curious because that would be horrible advice here...)

In the US the only thing that really matters is what college you graduated from. Since you can graduate from a university within going for all four years, it often makes sense to get the core credits out of the way at a community college and then transfer to a university to complete your degree. Its a lot cheaper that way. It's what I'm doing
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:00:38 PM
At 7/28/2016 2:52:34 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

In the US the only thing that really matters is what college you graduated from. Since you can graduate from a university within going for all four years, it often makes sense to get the core credits out of the way at a community college and then transfer to a university to complete your degree. Its a lot cheaper that way. It's what I'm doing

I see. Community college is way more expensive than a universities here, so it doesn't really make sense to go that route, if your scores are high enough to be admitted to a university directly...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:01:18 PM
At 7/28/2016 3:00:38 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I see. Community college is way more expensive than universities here, so it doesn't really make sense to go that route, if your scores are high enough to be admitted to a university directly...

Don't be a stat cynic:

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 5:00:57 PM
At 7/28/2016 3:00:38 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I see. Community college is way more expensive than a universities here, so it doesn't really make sense to go that route, if your scores are high enough to be admitted to a university directly...

Community Colleges in the US are kind of like highschools. There usually aren't any entrance requirements and you can pretty much come and go as you please. Compared to private universities they're extremely cheap. At my community college, I think a full time student only needs to spend 4k a year, compared to like 40k at a good private school.
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:12:30 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Any post-high school education should have a career-path in mind that your education will assist with. We already have too many people in college for the amount of jobs that require college Matters are made worse by the number of students that are not gaining marketable skills for the jobs that are available. This is the information age, you can learn about what happens to interest you on your own. The trades are highly underrated. They pay as much as many jobs that require a bachelors with shorter and cheaper schooling.

As far as paying for school try to get into as little debt as possible. As was mentioned the military is a solid option. When you are done with your hitch you will have a better idea what you want to do and more maturity along with the government paying for school. Hell I just joined the National Guard and it helped a ton . Community colleges are much cheaper, can be a good idea to take as many credits as possible there. Of course there is always working your way through school. I did that for my second degree, It sucks but you can do it, long-term you are better for it.
Kyleconn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 12:35:45 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
College degree helps you get that first job in a big place. It's your talent and urge to succeed that counts beyond that.
More than college, The certification courses are helpful as they impose required skills.
However, college gives you a platform to showcase your skills at a very young age.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:53:49 PM
I was basically forced into college by my parents so I do have an Associate's degree in General Studies (does it get more useless? I think not), but every job I've had that's worth having is because after I dropped out of college I took a workforce development course and got a certification. The associate's degree was a waste of money for me and what I wanted to do with my life (which has always been to learn a trade), the workforce dev course was $675 and I have a thoroughly fantastic job now. Seems college was not the way I should have went with my life, and I would have done far better for myself in terms of saving and investing money had I just gone to vocational school from the beginning, so I am entirely in favor of skipping college if your goals for life do not strictly require college.
ConstantBearing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:13:48 PM

Thank you for your choice to serve our Country. I wish you well and hope you remain safe.
CelinaChristi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 10:54:59 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Of course there are graduates who are unemployed or underemployed, but their chances of landing a good job are far superior than the chances of people with less formal education.
https://www.buyessay.co.uk...
alisemi9182
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 12:12:10 PM

It depends on your nature.
If you think you can avail much by skipping college then, you should.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 12:55:36 PM

I myself did not skip college and loved it, but some of my closest friends either skipped or dropped out because it just wasn't right for them. They couldn't see themselves in the future and therefore knew they had nothing to work toward, or for. If you don't see any fields that are worthwhile, and I mean something that really fits you, I personally see no issue with it so long as you are willing to take a chance on having a cap on your promotion in the fields you wish to explore.

Later in life, if you ever see yourself climbing the corporate ladder or something of that nature, we do live in a culture with a fair amount of college grads, and you will have a hard time competing with people that have 4 year degrees despite real world experience the higher you go up in many companies. The accreditation is really the reason you go to college. I personally have no will to climb the latter. I just like finding a good job that pays the bills, and maintains my humble lifestyle. You might be different.

So, if you are considering skipping it....Looking back....I'm just gonna tell you this as a fail safe, and a logical investment in your future...I would have loved to have greater savings built up entering college. I had to work my butt off just to pay the bills and then I had homework on top. If you can manage to save money, and invest it wisely before throwing your money into blackholes like cars and bars, it would be nice to keep your options open should you decide to go to school in the future. If you have stable investments, you could take federal student loans for four years which will not accrue interest while attending all the while letting your investment grow to have at least a significant portion of your school paid off when you graduate.

Taking the loans will also provide you the advantage of taking higher credit hours. College is not at all like high school where you are forced to go day after day after day. Its all your choice, and you are investing in yourself. The generals suck, but the work still feels great because you know its putting you one step closer to your goals. Me personally, I took extra classes just for the perspective once I settled in and figured out a pace and how much time the courses took. There are some valuable, practical classes in college, and often you'll get discounts after so many credit hours are met, so there is a possibility your school will effectively offer you free or discounted classes beyond your 4 year degree.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 1:06:48 PM
At 10/30/2016 12:55:36 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I myself did not skip college and loved it, but some of my closest friends either skipped or dropped out because it just wasn't right for them. They couldn't see themselves in the future and therefore knew they had nothing to work toward, or for. If you don't see any fields that are worthwhile, and I mean something that really fits you, I personally see no issue with it so long as you are willing to take a chance on having a cap on your promotion in the fields you wish to explore.

Later in life, if you ever see yourself climbing the corporate ladder or something of that nature, we do live in a culture with a fair amount of college grads, and you will have a hard time competing with people that have 4 year degrees despite real world experience the higher you go up in many companies. The accreditation is really the reason you go to college. I personally have no will to climb the latter. I just like finding a good job that pays the bills, and maintains my humble lifestyle. You might be different.

So, if you are considering skipping it....Looking back....I'm just gonna tell you this as a fail safe, and a logical investment in your future...I would have loved to have greater savings built up entering college. I had to work my butt off just to pay the bills and then I had homework on top. If you can manage to save money, and invest it wisely before throwing your money into blackholes like cars and bars, it would be nice to keep your options open should you decide to go to school in the future. If you have stable investments, you could take federal student loans for four years which will not accrue interest while attending all the while letting your investment grow to have at least a significant portion of your school paid off when you graduate.

Taking the loans will also provide you the advantage of taking higher credit hours. College is not at all like high school where you are forced to go day after day after day. Its all your choice, and you are investing in yourself. The generals suck, but the work still feels great because you know its putting you one step closer to your goals. Me personally, I took extra classes just for the perspective once I settled in and figured out a pace and how much time the courses took. There are some valuable, practical classes in college, and often you'll get discounts after so many credit hours are met, so there is a possibility your school will effectively offer you free or discounted classes beyond your 4 year degree.

Oh another thing...I feel I stressed one part a little to much. I don't want to discourage you from going to school, which is a fantastic decision in my opinion, just because you are unsure of what you want to do. Its okay to go to college and not know exactly what you want to do. You will be amazed at how many opportunities, and career paths you never knew existed will illuminate themselves in college. Its also okay to pick a degree, and switch. Tons of people do it, and its almost always worth it. You never know till you try.

Just remember, if you do decide to do it. You need to commit to your work. Its no longer trying to get a decent grade. You are building YOUR starting platform for YOUR life.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.