Bible required to read in school???

Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2011 7:22:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Koopin's post is spam.

I have no objection to the Bible being used as a text in school. It's significance in the Western literary canon is undeniable. If it's being taught as fact I would consider that a very serious problem, since much of its content is false.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2011 7:24:46 PM
At 1/6/2011 7:23:20 PM, Grape wrote:
Actually, this whole thread is probably spam. I doubt any of Freedo's links are legitimate either.

Correct. +1 for image preview script. :P
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 1:12:26 PM
Sure why not. I was a Christian. Reading the bible is one of the things that first toppled my belief.

All you have to do is read about the Old Testament God of war, death, sadism, and genocide... You'll see that it is probably something you want to stay far the hell away from.

Do more research on it, and you end up finding that the Jewish people used to be Polytheists, and Yahweh was their god of war. The bible has been corrupted so much that just reading it by itself is reading it out of context. =p
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 9:10:48 PM
Jewish people used to be polytheists??
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 9:14:20 PM
At 1/9/2011 1:12:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Sure why not. I was a Christian. Reading the bible is one of the things that first toppled my belief.

All you have to do is read about the Old Testament God of war, death, sadism, and genocide... You'll see that it is probably something you want to stay far the hell away from.

Do more research on it, and you end up finding that the Jewish people used to be Polytheists, and Yahweh was their god of war. The bible has been corrupted so much that just reading it by itself is reading it out of context. =p

11/10. So true.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 4:13:00 AM
At 1/9/2011 9:10:48 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:

I highly doubt that. I have never once seen facts supporting something like that.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:00:46 PM
At 1/9/2011 1:12:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Does not surprise me.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:05:05 PM
At 1/12/2011 4:13:00 AM, HatedeatH wrote:

I highly doubt that. I have never once seen facts supporting something like that.

Well one of the first things I found on the subject

"Introduced in the Old testament, Yahweh was first adopted by the Israelites. It is unpopular belief among dedicated Christians and Jews alike, yet more historically accurate to say that Yahweh was first conceived as part a polytheist belief system rather than a monotheist system, which didn't even exist at the time. Actually, the Old Testament does very little to address Yahweh within a monotheistic context. Everything in the Old Testament points to Yahweh as an exclusive, quasi-regional deity of a larger polytheistic belief system. "

http://www.dogmanaut.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:11:59 PM

Actually they are Henotheists which is a form of Polytheism. Henotheism is the belief in multiple gods, but only one God is worshipped or applies only to a certain group of people while other gods apply to other groups of people.

This was actually taught in my Philosophy of Religion college course.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:27:49 PM
you know i can kind of see the appeal to polytheism. I mean, one god is boring. The old testament is painful to read. Even summarized. However greek mythology is pretty interesting. With multiple gods you get more drama with the gods fighting.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:29:01 PM
At 1/12/2011 1:27:49 PM, darkkermit wrote:
you know i can kind of see the appeal to polytheism. I mean, one god is boring. The old testament is painful to read. Even summarized. However greek mythology is pretty interesting. With multiple gods you get more drama with the gods fighting.

Lol yeah the greek/roman gods are fun to read about
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:36:22 PM
At 1/12/2011 1:05:05 PM, lovelife wrote:

"Introduced in the Old testament, Yahweh was first adopted by the Israelites. It is unpopular belief among dedicated Christians and Jews alike, yet more historically accurate to say that Yahweh was first conceived as part a polytheist belief system rather than a monotheist system, which didn't even exist at the time. Actually, the Old Testament does very little to address Yahweh within a monotheistic context. Everything in the Old Testament points to Yahweh as an exclusive, quasi-regional deity of a larger polytheistic belief system. "

That's called a horrible review of the Old Testament.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:44:34 PM
At 1/12/2011 1:36:22 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/12/2011 1:05:05 PM, lovelife wrote:

That's called a horrible review of the Old Testament.

?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 1:51:45 PM
At 1/12/2011 1:44:34 PM, lovelife wrote:
?
YHWH, as described in the Torah, calls for pure monotheism. Polytheism, or even something that comes close to it, is extremely sinful according to that scripture.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:15:07 PM
At 1/12/2011 1:51:45 PM, Mirza wrote:
?
YHWH, as described in the Torah, calls for pure monotheism. Polytheism, or even something that comes close to it, is extremely sinful according to that scripture.

Read what geo wrote. It makes more sense when you have it in that context.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:17:45 PM
At 1/12/2011 2:15:07 PM, lovelife wrote:
?

That proves nothing. YHWH from the Torah claims pure monotheism. What Jews used to do wrong about worshiping other deities has nothing to do with YHWH not claiming exclusive Divinity in the OT.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:20:14 PM
At 12/28/2010 11:03:07 PM, Koopin wrote:
Yes, as a Christian I don't think it should be forced. Here is the Christian Atheist ratio in TX.
http://tinyurl.com...

Koopin, you bastard, stop doing that!

(Although I quite like that Rick Ashtray song, it doesn't look professional with him poncing about all over my computer screen at work).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:20:18 PM
At 12/28/2010 10:58:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Texas has gone waaaayy too far this time:

You need to die in a fire.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:21:37 PM
At 1/12/2011 2:20:14 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Yes, as a Christian I don't think it should be forced. Here is the Christian Atheist ratio in TX.

(Although I quite like that Rick Ashtray song, it doesn't look professional with him poncing about all over my computer screen at work).

Never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down!
kfc
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:24:59 PM
At 1/12/2011 2:21:37 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/12/2011 2:20:14 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down!:

May you be thrown in to a fryer full of boiling oil... at KFC, of course!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:34:04 PM
At 1/12/2011 2:17:45 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/12/2011 2:15:07 PM, lovelife wrote:
?

That proves nothing. YHWH from the Torah claims pure monotheism. What Jews used to do wrong about worshiping other deities has nothing to do with YHWH not claiming exclusive Divinity in the OT.

You're missing the point. I never said the Jews worshipped other gods, my point is that the Old Testament is a Henotheistic (polytheistic) text. Yahweh himself mentions other gods all the time in the Old Testament, this nothing to do with mistaken Jews worshiping the wrong God, Yahweh himself in the holy scriptures expresses Henotheism.

Also, you don't seem to understand Henotheism because you think that just because Yahweh says not to worship other gods, therefore it's monotheistic. No. It can still be polytheistic despite the fact that Yahweh doesn't want you to worship other gods.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:45:15 PM
At 1/12/2011 2:34:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You're missing the point. I never said the Jews worshipped other gods, my point is that the Old Testament is a Henotheistic (polytheistic) text. Yahweh himself mentions other gods all the time in the Old Testament, this nothing to do with mistaken Jews worshiping the wrong God, Yahweh himself in the holy scriptures expresses Henotheism.

Also, you don't seem to understand Henotheism because you think that just because Yahweh says not to worship other gods, therefore it's monotheistic. No. It can still be polytheistic despite the fact that Yahweh doesn't want you to worship other gods.
The Old Testament doesn't speak of Deities in plural, but deities in plural. There is a difference between those two. You are mistaking the concepts. Acknowledging that there are deities being worshiped is not connecting anything to polytheism. As long as YHWH didn't say that there are Gods of His own rank, there is no such thing as polytheism. Surely, polytheism exists in the OT as a concept, not a fact. Don't mix concepts and facts.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:51:39 PM
Mirza to the ovens! lol jk, jk.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:55:01 PM
At 1/12/2011 2:45:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/12/2011 2:34:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

The Old Testament doesn't speak of Deities in plural, but deities in plural. There is a difference between those two. You are mistaking the concepts. Acknowledging that there are deities being worshiped is not connecting anything to polytheism. As long as YHWH didn't say that there are Gods of His own rank, there is no such thing as polytheism. Surely, polytheism exists in the OT as a concept, not a fact. Don't mix concepts and facts.

All religion is is concepts.
So when concepts are put into the religion, it i part of the religion.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 2:55:19 PM
At 1/12/2011 2:51:39 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
Mirza to the ovens! lol jk, jk.
I am very offended

by the fact that you didn't notice I'm a Muslim.