Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

ROTC is Back

Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 2:45:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Harvard, a Pentagon annex

http://www.cnsnews.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 3:00:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 2:45:19 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Harvard, a Pentagon annex

http://www.cnsnews.com...:

And your thoughts on it are???
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 3:28:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 3:00:42 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/2/2011 2:45:19 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Harvard, a Pentagon annex

http://www.cnsnews.com...:

And your thoughts on it are???

What do you think?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 3:40:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What do you think?:

Sounds good to me. A private school can do whatever they want -- accept the ROTC program or not.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 3:51:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 3:40:40 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What do you think?:

Sounds good to me. A private school can do whatever they want -- accept the ROTC program or not.

They should be able to yeah, but should they?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 4:34:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 3:51:13 PM, innomen wrote:
At 1/2/2011 3:40:40 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What do you think?:

Sounds good to me. A private school can do whatever they want -- accept the ROTC program or not.

They should be able to yeah, but should they?:

Sure, why not? Most universities have an ROTC program, why would Harvard be any different?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 4:38:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 4:34:50 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/2/2011 3:51:13 PM, innomen wrote:
At 1/2/2011 3:40:40 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What do you think?:

Sounds good to me. A private school can do whatever they want -- accept the ROTC program or not.

They should be able to yeah, but should they?:

Sure, why not? Most universities have an ROTC program, why would Harvard be any different?

You understand that this is a recent change, and their original reason for not having ROTC on campus had nothing to do with DADT. I am also doubtful if DADT were revoked under a republican that they would have allowed them back on campus.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 4:39:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 4:34:50 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/2/2011 3:51:13 PM, innomen wrote:
At 1/2/2011 3:40:40 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What do you think?:

Sounds good to me. A private school can do whatever they want -- accept the ROTC program or not.

They should be able to yeah, but should they?:

Sure, why not? Most universities have an ROTC program, why would Harvard be any different?

So, they should do it because all the other kids are doing it? That's a good justification for something.

As for 'why not?'--how about because the wars we're fighting are evil? Harvard shouldn't aid these evil wars, nor should any other university.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 4:43:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You understand that this is a recent change, and their original reason for not having ROTC on campus had nothing to do with DADT. I am also doubtful if DADT were revoked under a republican that they would have allowed them back on campus.:

I'm not really understanding? Are you tacitly protesting Harvard for being a liberal school or are you just making an observation?

Harvard may do whatever Harvard wants to do. Their motivations on why their recent change is immaterial to me. The point is that it benefits the US military to expand their officer corps. Heaven knows there are a shortage of good officers. Harvard is not exactly my first choice to pull officers from, but it's not my decision either way.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 4:47:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, they should do it because all the other kids are doing it? That's a good justification for something.:

No, there's just no reason not to. What's the problem?

As for 'why not?'--how about because the wars we're fighting are evil? Harvard shouldn't aid these evil wars, nor should any other university.:

Um, the military is beholden to the whims of Congress and the President. The military can't wipe their @ss without their expressed approval. Hating the troops because you want to protest the war was the folly of the Vietnam era (as if they want to be blown up in Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan).

If you want to blame people, you need to blame the leaders, not the low men on the totem pole. It's not their choice, not their decision.

More importantly, Harvard can do whatever the hell it wants. It's a private school.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 4:52:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 4:43:02 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
You understand that this is a recent change, and their original reason for not having ROTC on campus had nothing to do with DADT. I am also doubtful if DADT were revoked under a republican that they would have allowed them back on campus.:

I'm not really understanding? Are you tacitly protesting Harvard for being a liberal school or are you just making an observation?

Harvard may do whatever Harvard wants to do. Their motivations on why their recent change is immaterial to me. The point is that it benefits the US military to expand their officer corps. Heaven knows there are a shortage of good officers. Harvard is not exactly my first choice to pull officers from, but it's not my decision either way.

Observation, i think that they should have always had the military as a viable option to their students, and to eliminate that as an option is doing a disservice to everyone. I question both their motives for removing ROTC and their reasons for reinstating it.

Yeah, i get it, they're private, they may do whatever they want, that's obvious.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 4:53:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/2/2011 4:47:41 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
So, they should do it because all the other kids are doing it? That's a good justification for something.:

No, there's just no reason not to. What's the problem?
See below.

As for 'why not?'--how about because the wars we're fighting are evil? Harvard shouldn't aid these evil wars, nor should any other university.:

Um, the military is beholden to the whims of Congress and the President. The military can't wipe their @ss without their expressed approval. Hating the troops because you want to protest the war was the folly of the Vietnam era (as if they want to be blown up in Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan).

If you want to blame people, you need to blame the leaders, not the low men on the totem pole. It's not their choice, not their decision.

More importantly, Harvard can do whatever the hell it wants. It's a private school.

Harvard certainly can do whatever it wants, as it's a private school--I'm saying that it shouldn't. I'm not blaming the troops, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be more of them. It doesn't matter whose fault the wars are, no university should voluntarily help the government recruit for them.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 5:11:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Observation, i think that they should have always had the military as a viable option to their students, and to eliminate that as an option is doing a disservice to everyone.:

I personally agree with your assessment as well, but that was Harvard's way of protesting. And that's very American, even though I disagree with what they're protesting. Or I should say, I agree with Harvard on wanting DADT repealed, but I don't think withholding ROTC from students is the most beneficial way to protest.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2011 5:19:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago

Harvard certainly can do whatever it wants, as it's a private school--I'm saying that it shouldn't. I'm not blaming the troops, I'm just saying that there shouldn't be more of them. It doesn't matter whose fault the wars are, no university should voluntarily help the government recruit for them.:

Why not? That's their prerogative, and we NEED good people in the government to ensure that it IS a good government, not a sh*tty government who terrorizes its own citizens. We need sound minds within the military... Well, hell, in that instance maybe they shouldn't recruit at Harvard ;)

As for there being more troops, you have to understand that many leave the service (fulfilled contractural obligation), retire, or die, so there will always be a need to fill those billets. There's always a turnover and a passing of the torch to the younger generation.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)