Total Posts:67|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

High School is a waste of time

NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 9:43:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The only thing we high schoolers TRULY learn is to memorize pointless crap to later regurgitate it during exams...

I reckon school just wastes your free time so you'll get used to your boss doing the same thing one day.
No55
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 9:57:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Everyone in college says this. Its amazing there's such support for public education. If they extended high school an extra year, all the college freshmen would cry "prison".

But I guess mass-babysitting is worth $8000+/yr (actually closer to $20k/yr if you include building costs).
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 10:27:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wouldn't say that it is a complete waste of time... But it's about 95% a waste. It feels longer than it actually is. And some of my teachers have taught me valuable things -- my Government teacher is fvcking amazing. <shrugs> You get through it. Just takes awhile...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 10:30:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it's a shame that they cut out "grade 13". They thrust us out into the real world at too young an age.

What would you propose instead of high school?
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 10:48:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well there is a lot of inaccuracies many school systems teach, like in southern states about how great our government is. But they also teach ways of logical reasoning in math. I agree a lot of what we are taught in math we don't need to know. But also we need to know the things in history that worked and what didn't so that we can try not to make those same mistakes. Also, econ was very helpful in life so far. English teaches you to analyze and things like that. It also depends on the school though.
NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 10:48:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 10:30:09 PM, nonentity wrote:
I think it's a shame that they cut out "grade 13". They thrust us out into the real world at too young an age.

What would you propose instead of high school?

Id start by getting rid of all the grades past middle school and would set up a way for students to learn things of their own interest, and at their own pace.
No55
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 10:53:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 10:48:32 PM, NO55 wrote:
At 1/16/2011 10:30:09 PM, nonentity wrote:
I think it's a shame that they cut out "grade 13". They thrust us out into the real world at too young an age.

What would you propose instead of high school?

Id start by getting rid of all the grades past middle school and would set up a way for students to learn things of their own interest, and at their own pace.

For most students, at age 13 there is no interest. Then there's the issue of who's going to be teaching these kids at the kids' pace? Honestly, if you think high school is a waste of time drop out. Then when you're 30 and you regret it, waste your time with night school.
NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:02:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 10:53:37 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 10:48:32 PM, NO55 wrote:
At 1/16/2011 10:30:09 PM, nonentity wrote:
I think it's a shame that they cut out "grade 13". They thrust us out into the real world at too young an age.

What would you propose instead of high school?

Id start by getting rid of all the grades past middle school and would set up a way for students to learn things of their own interest, and at their own pace.

For most students, at age 13 there is no interest. Then there's the issue of who's going to be teaching these kids at the kids' pace? Honestly, if you think high school is a waste of time drop out. Then when you're 30 and you regret it, waste your time with night school.

Thats just an idea, I dont want to pretend I have a solution. What do you suggest? Or do you think that public education at the high school level is just fine?
No55
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:11:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:02:50 PM, NO55 wrote:

Thats just an idea, I dont want to pretend I have a solution. What do you suggest? Or do you think that public education at the high school level is just fine?

There are problems with it and changes need to be made (depending on where you're from, I guess) but I don't think it's a waste of time. As I said earlier, I think it should be an extra year.
NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:11:44 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:02:50 PM, NO55 wrote:

Thats just an idea, I dont want to pretend I have a solution. What do you suggest? Or do you think that public education at the high school level is just fine?

There are problems with it and changes need to be made (depending on where you're from, I guess) but I don't think it's a waste of time. As I said earlier, I think it should be an extra year.

I bet you cant list 10 things that you learned while at high school that you put to REAL use during your day.
No55
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:18:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Autodidacticism is the way my friends.

In my uneducated opinion, higher education is basically so you can get a piece of paper that says you know sh!t, this serves the purpose of allowing you to get better jobs.

If college is anything like high school, it's a big waste of money if your goal is to learn anything.

Though, I do hear that in the higher levels of study that you do in universities, more emphasis is put on learning on your own.

I wouldn't know. I was a terrible student. Ever since I first learned how to read, I was the kid who went to the library and read encyclopedias for the hell of it. When I was in school, I did the bare minimum to pass. When they put me in honors classes due to my aptitude tests, I'd drop out and take regular classes because I hated the homework load.

When I was in Junior High, they said that if you failed more than 2 classes, they would hold you back. So what did I do my 8th grade year? I did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in 2 of my classes. I'm proud to say that I got a 0% in both of those classes, and won a lot of money from people who bet with me that I wouldn't go to high school.

When I was in high school, I never did any homework, and just passed based on tests. I was a straight D student.

All the while, I was the annoying kid who drew pictures all day(even on the tests that I was acing), made fun of teachers, raged about how the school teaches us our constitutional rights while sh!tting on them, and got sent to the dean's office for stupid sh!t on a regular basis. I had detentions almost everyday. Usually for my foul mouth, sometimes for ridiculous things like blowing my nose or farting.

If you want to get laid, go to school. If you want to get an education, go to a library.

Also, it's probably not a good idea to be as bad of a student as I was, because I missed out on a lot due to my behavior and inability to take our education system seriously. If I could do it again knowing what I do now, I probably would have done just slightly better so that I could have done some extra-curricular activities, but my opinion of America's education system has not changed much.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:21:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Course, I'm a fvcking idiot, don't mind me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:28:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM, NO55 wrote:

I bet you cant list 10 things that you learned while at high school that you put to REAL use during your day.

Uh I bet I can? I didn't just get to university anyhow lol

1) English---critical reading and writing skills
2) Math---self explanatory
3) Biology---I'm a conscious healthy eater (most of the time)
4) History---I don't come off as a complete idiot when I talk to people
5) Geography---Same as History
6) Gym/Health---I work out; I know where a vagina is
7) Visual Arts---I like to paint/draw and know what is aesthetically pleasing
8) Dramatic Arts---Breathing techniques are very useful
9) Careers---Figured out what I wanted to do with my life through taking this class
10) Civics---Learned about Canadian politics

Not every class is going to be apparently beneficial to you. But if nothing you're learning is useful to you then you've really got a problem lol. Besides what I learned in class, I gained life experience. I learned about people and interpersonal relationships in a way that I otherwise might not have. As cliche as it sounds I learned a lot about myself.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:29:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:28:06 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM, NO55 wrote:

6) Gym/Health---I work out; I know where a vagina is

Just wondering.... Without health, would you know where your vagina was? :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:29:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:21:20 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Course, I'm a fvcking idiot, don't mind me.

Even though I decided that High School is a waste of time I do try my best at school because I want to keep the possibility of me going to college open. Even though right now, its not in my plans to persue any further education after college.
No55
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:32:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:29:26 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:28:06 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM, NO55 wrote:

6) Gym/Health---I work out; I know where a vagina is

Just wondering.... Without health, would you know where your vagina was? :P

No, you also would probably have no idea how to put a condom on a banana, that's serious business!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:32:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:29:26 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:28:06 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM, NO55 wrote:

6) Gym/Health---I work out; I know where a vagina is

Just wondering.... Without health, would you know where your vagina was? :P

Honestly, no. LMAO

Until the 9th grade I thought the penis was supposed to go somewhere near the front.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:33:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:29:52 PM, NO55 wrote:

Even though I decided that High School is a waste of time I do try my best at school because I want to keep the possibility of me going to college open. Even though right now, its not in my plans to persue any further education after college.

It's better to at least have that door open to you.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:36:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:32:02 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:29:26 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:28:06 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM, NO55 wrote:

6) Gym/Health---I work out; I know where a vagina is

Just wondering.... Without health, would you know where your vagina was? :P

No, you also would probably have no idea how to put a condom on a banana, that's serious business!

Dear god, that scarred me in 5th grade. My teacher took the peel off the banana before putting on the condom to make it look more "life like". I came back in during lunch to get my jacket, and she was eating the banana. Of course, at that age, I thought she was eating a penis. LOL.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:37:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I guess there are some benefits if you plan to go to a university and get a good job. Which I GUESS is the whole point. BUT in my case I stopped learning anything useful for what I want to be once I turn 18 when I graduated from middle school.
No55
NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:38:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:29:52 PM, NO55 wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:21:20 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Course, I'm a fvcking idiot, don't mind me.

Even though I decided that High School is a waste of time I do try my best at school because I want to keep the possibility of me going to college open. Even though right now, its not in my plans to persue any further education after college.

After High School I mean.
No55
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:39:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:32:02 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:29:26 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:28:06 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM, NO55 wrote:

6) Gym/Health---I work out; I know where a vagina is

Just wondering.... Without health, would you know where your vagina was? :P

Honestly, no. LMAO

I don't know if I should laugh or be worried. Lol.

Until the 9th grade I thought the penis was supposed to go somewhere near the front.

Like your bellybutton? hehe

Don't worry, we'll Skype and I'll tell you ALL about anatomy. loljk
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:41:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:39:17 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:32:02 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:29:26 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:28:06 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 1/16/2011 11:17:14 PM, NO55 wrote:

6) Gym/Health---I work out; I know where a vagina is

Just wondering.... Without health, would you know where your vagina was? :P

Honestly, no. LMAO

I don't know if I should laugh or be worried. Lol.

Until the 9th grade I thought the penis was supposed to go somewhere near the front.

Like your bellybutton? hehe

Don't worry, we'll Skype and I'll tell you ALL about anatomy. loljk

lmao!
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 11:42:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/16/2011 11:37:22 PM, NO55 wrote:
I guess there are some benefits if you plan to go to a university and get a good job. Which I GUESS is the whole point. BUT in my case I stopped learning anything useful for what I want to be once I turn 18 when I graduated from middle school.

Oh. Lol. At first, I read that as you not graduating from middle school until the age of 18, at which point I was like "... :|"
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 2:18:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It seems that many people have the idea that education is supposed to be a form of entertainment. It's not, it's a job.

"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends upon what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer
NO55
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 7:52:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/17/2011 2:18:49 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
It seems that many people have the idea that education is supposed to be a form of entertainment. It's not, it's a job.

"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends upon what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer

I think people should have the right to define, and persue their own idea of getting an "education" instead of accepting what getting "education" has come to mean in todays society.
No55
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 12:54:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think people should have the right to define, and persue their own idea of getting an "education" instead of accepting what getting "education" has come to mean in todays society.

>That fails because children are way too young to either know what the choices are or how to evaluate them. Actually, that principle is still relevant throughout life, although you get better information that allows a more narrow focus. If I want to learn about a new subject, I get a pre-packaged course to get up to speed. I do not try to pick my way through fun topics. Mot things have a central terminology tat has to be learned first.

To enter into society as functional people, everybody needs to know how to read, how to do basic math, how the government works, important historical events, and the basics of science. Some are basic skills for coping, but there is also an element of "cultural literacy." "Cultural literacy" is the common knowledge base needed to communicate effectively. A reason why everybody needs to know Romeo and Juliette is that allusions to the story appear throughout life, and if a person don't know it, they will miss the message. There are thousands of things in that category.

Young people generally have no idea what is important, but they do know what is fun to them. The tend to pick what is entertaining.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 6:47:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I truly don't understand why people are so resistant to education. The overwhelming majority of the kids at my high school are so willfully stupid that the amount of effort used to educate them far outweighs the results. Roy, if you have any time how much time and money is spent teaching kids the very basic skills you described, I'm sure you'd be appalled.

I will agree that I sometimes feel that high school is a waste of time because I could do work in the time I spent in class. Most of my classes are wasted by the teachers' inability to stay on task and move through topics quickly enough, and lots of time is spent on pointless exercises and informed discussions. However, I'm sure even in an AP class most of the students would do no work if they weren't forced to.

I'm not going to complain about the system because I'm going to get about 40 credit hours for much less work than that would normally entail, so it in some sense benefits me. It might be better for me if I had more free time to work independently, but Roy is right in saying that most kids would do nothing or waste their time on pointless curiosities. They view education as "work" in the sense of pointless tasks done to appease superiors and not "work" as in something you do to advance your career and improve yourself.