Jump to topic:

Advanced Placement Tests

Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:07:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Anyone do them in high school? I did one as a sophomore and two as a junior. This is my last year of high school and I'm taking seven.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:09:44 PM
wow. impressive.

i took 2 my junior year and 3 senior year. 4 5s and one 4 (american history. if it wasn't so boring i would have done better :P)
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:10:10 PM
also doesn't that imply that all your classes are AP classes? o.O
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:28:52 PM
I did two last year (World History, Microeconomics) and intend to take six this year (US History, Statistics, English III, Computer Science A, Chemistry, Psychology). I've so far gotten all fives. They're really not as difficult as we're told on the first day of class.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 9:48:32 PM
3 tests as a Junior (US History, Macroeconomics, and microeconomics), and 7 as a Senior (Stats, Calc BC, Bio, Physics Mech and E&M, Comparative Gov, and US Gov). 5s, except for a 4 in Bio. Fun stuff--enjoy May. Which 7 are you taking?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 10:20:20 PM
I did 1 junior year and 5 senior year

4 on AP gov
3 on Econ (macro), Econ (micro), Calculus, Biology, English
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 11:20:07 PM
AP Tests are sh!t.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 11:20:59 PM
CLEPs are where it's at.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 12:47:53 AM
I'm taking Calc AB, Physics B, Chemistry, and English Lit as classes. I am not really worried about any of them, but it will require a significant investiture of time to learn all the science concepts. My school does not offer dedicated programs in Calc BC and Physics C, so I decided it wasn't worth doing it on my own.

I noticed a lot of people taking AP's that my school offers as dual-enrollment courses with local colleges. Syracuse University Economics is ridiculously easily, but I don't feel like taking the econ tests in addition to so much other stuff. There's also the chance I might get lucky with my applicantion to U Chicago and taking econ there would be rather awesome.

I am doing US Gov, Psych, and English Lang on my own because I looked at released tests and they seem easy. I already got 5's on Bio, US History, and World History. I feel like one of the science/math tests will kill the 5 streak though.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 12:53:42 AM
I took one in my Sophomore year (Human Geography), four in my Junior year (U.S. history, Chemistry, Japanese and English) and will take only three in my Senior year (American Government, Comparative Government and Biotechnology) since I'm also taking college classes this year.

Got 5's on all of my Sophomore/Junior ones except my Japanese where I got a 4. :/
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 7:47:11 PM
Apparently I went to the wrong school, my high school only offered 3 AP courses. Of which I only took calc junior year and got a 3 on it, which isn't good enough for college credit.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 10:40:55 PM
I only took 2 ap classes and passed 3 of them I took ap world history in my sophomore year and ap environmental science in my senior year I passed ap world and ap envsci with a 3 and ap US history with a 4
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:26:01 PM
At 1/30/2011 7:48:13 PM, nonentity wrote:
Canadian here---what do AP courses do for you? lol Like, can you go to university without them?

You can. But if you do well on the test at the end of the year, you can get credit for their corresponding college classes. Like, Calculus BC can give you credit for Calc 1 & 2.
Should we subsidize education?

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:30:08 PM
Canadian here---what do AP courses do for you? lol Like, can you go to university without them?

If your high school offers AP classes and you choose not to take any of them, you will likely not get into a very top tier school (like Harvard, Yale) since it looks like you avoided difficult classes.

And yeah, they're called "advanced placement" classes because they place you out of having to take certain classes in college, like I placed out of both my writing course requirements by scoring a 5 on the AP Literature test.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 2:25:03 AM
I took a big fat 0.
My high school offered 2 classes that prepared for AP tests.
Calculus and English 11 Accelerated.
I took neither.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 6:58:47 PM
I've taken the US History and Language and Composition tests, got 3s on both. I should have done better, but ALL of my essays were complete crap; I've never been able to write well in short periods of time.

I'm taking the Calculus exam this year; expecting a 5.
When Reach fell, I came.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 8:05:38 PM
At 1/30/2011 11:30:08 PM, bluesteel wrote:

If your high school offers AP classes and you choose not to take any of them, you will likely not get into a very top tier school (like Harvard, Yale) since it looks like you avoided difficult classes.

And yeah, they're called "advanced placement" classes because they place you out of having to take certain classes in college, like I placed out of both my writing course requirements by scoring a 5 on the AP Literature test.

WHAAAAAT?? That's so awesome o_O
BlackCoyote
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:58:37 AM
I took an AP Biology test my sophomore year of high school and a AP computer programming test my junior year, talk about a nightmare. :/ I'm trying to avoid them in college but that's probably not going to work.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:49:47 PM
Taken Sophomore Year:
Microeconomics: 5
World History: 5

To Be Taken Junior Year:
Computer Science
English Language
Human Geography
Psychology
Statistics
United States History

To Be Taken Senior Year:
Biology
Calculus
(Comparative Government and Politics)
English Literature
(Environmental Science)
European History
Macroeconomics
Physics
United States Government and Politics

This will make me a National AP Scholar after Junior year and grant me the AP International Diploma.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:51:11 PM
At 2/4/2011 11:58:37 AM, BlackCoyote wrote:
I took an AP Biology test my sophomore year of high school and a AP computer programming test my junior year, talk about a nightmare. :/ I'm trying to avoid them in college but that's probably not going to work.

Did you take prep courses for them, or how did you prepare?
BlackCoyote
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 9:12:57 AM
: At 2/4/2011 12:51:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 2/4/2011 11:58:37 AM, BlackCoyote wrote:

Did you take prep courses for them, or how did you prepare?

Well the high school ones I tested into, no prep. :/
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 10:44:32 AM
I dont see the reason to take AP, colleges dont look at your weighted GPA.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 12:05:37 PM
At 2/9/2011 10:44:32 AM, Heathen wrote:
I dont see the reason to take AP, colleges dont look at your weighted GPA.

They want to see if you challenged yourself to take the hardest classes available. Which does look good on your transcript.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 12:21:37 PM
At 2/4/2011 12:49:47 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Taken Sophomore Year:

To Be Taken Junior Year:
Computer Science
English Language
Human Geography
Psychology
Statistics
United States History

To Be Taken Senior Year:
Biology
Calculus
English Literature
(Environmental Science)
European History
Macroeconomics
Physics

This will make me a National AP Scholar after Junior year and grant me the AP International Diploma.

How does your high school even offer that many AP classes and how can you be taking that many classes your senior year anyways?
Open borders debate:
Aibohphobia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 5:48:09 PM
At 2/9/2011 12:21:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Taken Sophomore Year:

To Be Taken Junior Year:
Computer Science
English Language
Human Geography
Psychology
Statistics
United States History

To Be Taken Senior Year:
Biology
Calculus
English Literature
(Environmental Science)
European History
Macroeconomics
Physics

How does your high school even offer that many AP classes and how can you be taking that many classes your senior year anyways?

I was wondering the same thing.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 7:50:44 PM
At 2/10/2011 5:48:09 PM, Aibohphobia wrote:
Long list of AP classes

I was wondering the same thing.

Our school offers lots of AP classes, and some AP tests with no corresponding AP class. In addition to some semester classes that can be doubled up to take two AP tests in one year, we took the AP Microeconomics test without taking the class, and will do the same thing with other AP tests.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:34:53 PM
Taken Sophomore Year:

To Be Taken Junior Year:
Computer Science
English Language
Human Geography
Psychology
Statistics
United States History

To Be Taken Senior Year:
Biology
Calculus
English Literature
(Environmental Science)
European History
Macroeconomics
Physics

Our high school doesn't offer IB and is AP heavy. It offers prep courses for all AP classes except Comparative Government and Politics and Microeconomics.
I can take more tests than classes, and some classes are only a semester anyways.