Jump to topic:

Jack Nicholson: You Can't Win Them All

RonPrice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 12:16:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
In the classic Roman Polanski noir thriller, Chinatown (1974), Jack Nicholson was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor. I did not see the film until this week, more than 10 years into my retirement from FT work and 40 years after the film was conceived in 1971. What a life it has been for me and for Nicholson since Chinatown was released on 20 June 1974. It has been called one of the greatest films ever made.

With 12 nominations (eight for Best Actor and four for Best Supporting Actor), Jack Nicholson is the most nominated male actor in Academy Awards history. Nicholson earned his first Best Actor Oscar for portraying in 1975 Randle P. McMurphy in the movie adaptation of Ken Kesey's novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The film was directed by Miloš Forman and it had much impact on me due to my personal history of mental illness as a young man.

In 1974 I had just begun my career in post-secondary education in Tasmania. In 1975 I taught at a Tafe college in Melbourne. I spent the years from 1974 to 2005 in post-secondary education and, although I received no awards or prizes, those years were enriching, and fulfilling.

The year before I joined the Baha'i Faith, 1958, saw the beginning of the career of Jack Nicholson. He was born on the first day of the Baha'i teaching Plan in 1937. The Baha'i Faith has not been a career but it has provided me, alongside my work as a teacher, with a core of life experience around which I have centred my life. Nicholson found his centre in the field of cinema. -Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 14 February 2011.

You made it big, Jack,
in the last half century
as I went from my teens
to two old-age pensions.
I had my ups-and-downs
in the world of romance
and marriage, but nothing
like your slings-&-arrows.

And your millions, Jack,
what have you done with
all the millions? Bought
Marlon Brando's house &
had seasons' tickets to the
Yankees and Lakers games
so I have read.1 Go for it…
Jack. You were a likeable
chap in the movies, a very
popular guy, a real winner
by the 1970s. And so was I,
Jack, a real winner in my own
way from one end of Australia
to the other from kids to adults.

Of course, you can't win them
all, can you, Jack? Can you?
No way….eh Jack?

1 Readers who want to know what Nicholson has done with his money can google the subject.

Ron Price
15 February 2011
Married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16, and a Baha'i for 56(in 2015)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:15:07 AM
Hello Ron and if no one has said it already, welcome to DDO.

You did not say if you liked Chinatown or not. I thought it was pretty good, although I find some styles of cinematography from the 70s... annoying.

As a Batman freak, I thought for a long time no one would top Jack Nicholson as the joker. Of course Heath Ledger proved me wrong.

I feel as though Jack Nicholson is very much a character actor, but he has a lot of character so I guess that serves him well. Another movie that comes to mind is The Departed.

Jack gets 8 thumbs up from me. ^_^
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 8:09:47 AM
So do you beat off to Jack Nicholson? Lol seriously dude.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
RonPrice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 9:46:38 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:15:07 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Hello Ron and if no one has said it already, welcome to DDO.

You did not say if you liked Chinatown or not. I thought it was pretty good, although I find some styles of cinematography from the 70s... annoying.

As a Batman freak, I thought for a long time no one would top Jack Nicholson as the joker. Of course Heath Ledger proved me wrong.

I feel as though Jack Nicholson is very much a character actor, but he has a lot of character so I guess that serves him well. Another movie that comes to mind is The Departed.

Jack gets 8 thumbs up from me. ^_^
--------------------
Thanks for your response, tvellalott. I've followed Jack all my life, not in any explicit sense of course until I wrote this piece of prose-poetry, but I've come to look forward to his appearance in a movie the way I look forward to a book by someone whose writing Iike.
Married for 48 years, a teacher for 32, a student for 18, a writer and editor for 16, and a Baha'i for 56(in 2015)
RonPrice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 9:48:14 PM
At 2/18/2011 8:09:47 AM, askbob wrote:
So do you beat off to Jack Nicholson? Lol seriously dude.
-------------------------
I'm not sure what your words "beat off" mean, askbob, so it is difficult for me to mment on your post.-Ron
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 10:00:54 PM

Nah, to me they seemed like two completely Jokers so I can't really rank them. Both were amazing though!

To the OP, welcome to DDO!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 10:33:11 PM
At 2/18/2011 10:00:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Nah, to me they seemed like two completely different Jokers so I can't really rank them. Both were amazing though!

I agree with INH. Heath Ledger took his psychosis to another level by intentionally making him the creepiest he could be. Jack Nicholson had more of a dark humor with Joker by making him more flamboyant while retaining his evilness. Both were epic Jokers but if I had to pick one, it would be Ledger. His portrayal was simply amazing and how I envisioned Joker whenever I read the comics.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 2:44:42 AM
At 2/18/2011 10:33:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

Nah, to me they seemed like two completely different Jokers so I can't really rank them. Both were amazing though!

I agree with INH. Heath Ledger took his psychosis to another level by intentionally making him the creepiest he could be. Jack Nicholson had more of a dark humor with Joker by making him more flamboyant while retaining his evilness. Both were epic Jokers but if I had to pick one, it would be Ledger. His portrayal was simply amazing and how I envisioned Joker whenever I read the comics.

Heath Ledger topped Jack Nicholson. End of story.

@Ron: You still haven't told us whether you liked Chinatown or not!! :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
RonPrice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 4:37:21 AM
At 2/20/2011 2:44:42 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/18/2011 10:33:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

Heath Ledger topped Jack Nicholson. End of story.

@Ron: You still haven't told us whether you liked Chinatown or not!! :P
------------
As I said in my initial post about Jack Nicholson, tvellalott: "You were a likeable
chap in the movies." Yes, indeed, I liked Jack and I liked the movie Chinatown. I felt like I was going back to the '70s and enjoyed the nostalgia.-Ron