3/3/2011 4:00:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For me it's

John Petrucci

Dave Mustaine

Kirk Hammett

Jimi Hendrix

and Yngwie Malmsteem
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:06:21 PM
Tony Iommi :

Dimebag Darrell :

Jimmy Page :

Zakk Wylde :

Eddie Van Halen :
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:14:19 PM
In order from least to most

5. Santana (Not sure about band)

4. Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

3. Dave Mustaine (Metallica, Megadeth)

2. Slash (Guns 'N' Roses)

1. Herman- F-Ing- Li (DragonForce!!!!!!)
"Modern atheism is Richard Dawkins."- thegodhand

"Thegodhand likes to misquote people"- Benjamin Franklin
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:24:09 PM
1. Chris Broderick (Megadeth)
2. Willie Adler and Mark Morton (Lamb of God)
3. Michael Keene (The Faceless)
4. Oli Herbert (All That Remains)
5. Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:26:47 PM
This is impossible. I can't limit myself to five and I can't rank my faves. Plus, what are the criteria on which we're basing our ratings? Like, Jeff Beck is an amazing guitarist, but he's never really put together a great album. Conversely, Jack White is nearly as technically skilled, but I love his music. Meh, here goes:

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jack White
Duane Allman
Jimmy Page
Mick Taylor
Derek Trucks
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:28:46 PM
At 3/3/2011 4:26:47 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
This is impossible. I can't limit myself to five and I can't rank my faves. Plus, what are the criteria on which we're basing our ratings? Like, Jeff Beck is an amazing guitarist, but he's never really put together a great album. Conversely, Jack White isn't nearly as technically skilled, but I love his music. Meh, here goes:

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jack White
Duane Allman
Jimmy Page
Mick Taylor
Derek Trucks

Fix'd. Also, I should point out, my list is in no particular order.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:30:30 PM
At 3/3/2011 4:26:47 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Plus, what are the criteria on which we're basing our ratings?

Mine was the most skilled metal guitarists or those who have had the most influence on the metal genre.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:40:13 PM
Damn, how could I forget Jimmy Page! His Extended Stairway solo at Madison Square was the BEST improvised solo I've seen in my entire life! Go look it up now! The solo is like 5 minutes long.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 4:42:04 PM
At 3/3/2011 4:40:13 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Damn, how could I forget Jimmy Page! His Extended Stairway solo at Madison Square was the BEST improvised solo I've seen in my entire life! Go look it up now! The solo is like 5 minutes long.

If anyone wants to see it, I have a link above. :)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:04:00 PM
Ok, I'm not rating these guys by skill or even originality(even though, that does play a bit of a part)..

But these guitarists in particular were pretty influential to my own development as a guitar player.

5. Dick Dale

4. Jimi Hendrix

3. Robert Fripp

2. Frank Zappa

1. Jeff Beck
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:09:27 PM
Can't leave out
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:23:15 PM
I don't know... there are a lot of amazing guitarists from different genres. I'll just throw out some amazing guitarists in no particular order, and I'll try and be original and use no guitarist that's already been used in someone else's list.

Shawn Lane
Jeff Loomis
Alexi Laiho
Tobin Abasi
Andy McKee
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:27:52 PM
At 3/3/2011 5:05:07 PM, annhasle wrote:
Panda,

How could you forget Dimebag?!

...and how could he include Yngwie? Yuck. -1 man card.

hurr durr, lookitme, guitarmasturbation, lololololol
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:34:30 PM
At 3/3/2011 5:23:15 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I don't know... there are a lot of amazing guitarists from different genres. I'll just throw out some amazing guitarists in no particular order, and I'll try and be original and use no guitarist that's already been used in someone else's list.

Shawn Lane
Jeff Loomis
Alexi Laiho
Tosin Abasi
Andy McKee

fixed
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 5:38:15 PM
At 3/3/2011 5:27:52 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Panda,

Lol, I agree. But I still find him to be an amazing, technical guitarist -- he knows how to shred, man. :)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 6:37:55 PM
Say what you want about Mr. Malmsteen, but the first half of this interview is fvcking hilarious.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 9:35:31 PM
Mick Taylor is hugely underrated, in my opinion. He never gets mentioned on any "greatest guitarist" lists. I won't post videos of the others in my list, since you're all familiar with them.

Mick Taylor replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers from '67-'69. From '69-'74, was the lead guitarist of the Rolling Stones following the dismissal of founding member Brian Jones. This was the period during which the Stones released most of their best work.

This is a bootleg recording from their '72 US tour. Very tough to find, I had to upload it myself. The sound quality is kinda crummy (it was taken from a soundboard), but it really showcases Taylor's soloing and improvisation skills.

Fun fact: Clapton himself almost joined Stones back in '69. There's actually a recording of him playing the lead on "Brown Sugar."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:18:05 AM
Panda,

Yngwie is a technically amazing guitarist, and I enjoy his music.

As for why I left out Dimebag, he's a good guitarist, and definitely in my top 10, but I feel the 5 I listed are in their own right better. Petrucci is technically amazing and is becoming an influence on my own guitar work, while all of Yngwies guitarwork is astounding to me. Mustaine is probably my favorite guitarist and my biggest influence, so he's definitely up there for me, and the same for Hammet but to a lesser extent, while Hendrix is just a fantastic guuitarist overall.

Furthermore, as good as Dimebag is, and as much as I like Pantera, I can definitely hear the repetition over albums, and even within some albums. He relies on a few core ideas (Mainly using stops in the verse, fvcking the stops in the chorus in favour of a few extra notes, and runs in his solos), that while giving Pantera that unique groove metal feel, gives it a lack of ingenuity.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:22:21 AM

I can't take this seriously coming from someone who included Jack White as among the best guitarists.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:25:33 AM
Oh nvm this said YOUR top 5...

I guess Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, T-Bone Walker, Jimi Hendrix and... I'm biased toward Jimmy Page. Ideally I'd put someone more technical, but he's too awesomesauce to exclude.
President of DDO
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:27:34 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:25:33 AM, Danielle wrote:
Oh nvm this said YOUR top 5...

I'm biased toward Jimmy Page. Ideally I'd put someone more technical, but he's too awesomesauce to exclude.

Everyone should include Jimmy Page.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:41:36 AM
Some good ones have been listed, my favorite is probably Al Di Meola. Don't know if I could arrange a top 5 really...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:47:25 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:22:21 AM, Danielle wrote:

I can't take this seriously coming from someone who included Jack White as among the best guitarists.

I included a disclaimer that he's not a great technical guitarist. Yngwie is obviously a great technical guitarist, but his music sucks hardcore. He's got no soul. Jack White is better than Yngwie for the same reason Clapton and Vaughan are better than Steve Vai and all the other guitar shredding a$shats out there.

That being said, Jack's technical skill is pretty underrated, IMO.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 11:53:13 AM
Being a good guitarist is more than just playing fast. Any kid who's spent enough time playing Guitar Hero can push buttons fast.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 2:37:06 PM
At 3/5/2011 11:47:25 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I included a disclaimer that he's not a great technical guitarist. Yngwie is obviously a great technical guitarist, but his music sucks hardcore. He's got no soul. Jack White is better than Yngwie for the same reason Clapton and Vaughan are better than Steve Vai and all the other guitar shredding a$shats out there.

At 3/5/2011 11:53:13 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Being a good guitarist is more than just playing fast. Any kid who's spent enough time playing Guitar Hero can push buttons fast.

While I agree with you, there is one thing I would have to disagree...

Steve Vai may probably be the most technically gifted player on the planet, but he isn't a mindless shredder that lacks any soul. I wouldn't lump him in with.. You know.. Players like Yngwie.

That said, a lot of Vai's stuff is too cheesy for me. Something about 80s metal drumming pisses me the hell off, and his music is full of it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 2:44:04 PM
I've heard people say that Zappa is soulless, which is ridiculous, because his playing is ridiculously honest and soulful. Very few guitarists nowadays pay as much attention to melody as Zappa did. Sunabitch had one of the most melodic playing out of anyone I've ever heard.

He wasn't super flashy either, but his rhythm was super fvcked up. Most of what makes his playing interesting to me is how rhythmically complex it is. He played the guitar like it was a percussion instrument.

His solos do tend to be ridiculously long though, not many people can sit through that. I've heard that it wasn't uncommon for him to solo for 20 minutes at his live shows.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 2:47:40 PM
At 3/5/2011 2:37:06 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 3/5/2011 11:47:25 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

While I agree with you, there is one thing I would have to disagree...

Steve Vai may probably be the most technically gifted player on the planet, but he isn't a mindless shredder that lacks any soul. I wouldn't lump him in with.. You know.. Players like Yngwie.

Fair enough. Some of Vai's stuff is really good, I'm just not my thing. I'm just now starting to listen to Zappa.

Something about 80s metal drumming pisses me the hell off.

Truth. I HATE 80's metal drumming!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 2:49:20 PM

Playing Guitar Hero should not be compared to playing an electric or bass guitar. -___-
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 4:44:56 PM
I made this as a joke.

Seriously, anytime I walk into a guitar shop, and hear a metal guitarist playing, it usually sounds something like this, though not as bitchin, because I kick @ss at guitar, even when I'm making fun of how people play. My balls are made of metal >.>

http://www.newgrounds.com...

Well, I guess shredding mindlessly is good for getting aggression out, but that's about it.