World of Warcraft

s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 4:54:57 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Anyone here play?

I just signed up for the 10 day trial, but at this rate it looks like it's going to take 10 days just to download all the game patches. I thought I was done with the first 4GBs but now it's downloading another 3GB patch they put out today.

Is it worth the monthly cost?
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 5:15:54 PM
I think that to be worth it you'd have to basically constantly play, every month. Personally i'll get into a game for a while, play it alot, maybe beat the game, and then I'll be done with it for a long period of time. Especially with civ 4. Wow really isn't my kind of game, though, and I honestly don't get addicted to it like most people. I find it boring.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 6:37:20 PM
At 10/14/2008 5:29:16 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I used to be really into computer games, but I've since gotten bored with them. Meh.

You specify computer games. Why? If anything, the quality of PC games is much superior to any other kind of video game medium.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 6:44:35 PM
At 10/14/2008 6:37:20 PM, Harlan wrote:
You specify computer games. Why?

I have never owned a console in my life. No PS, no Gameboy, no DS, no Wii, no Nintendo, no anything.

Actually, I didn't even consciously realize I typed "computer game". Hmmm...

If anything, the quality of PC games is much superior to any other kind of video game medium.

I agree. I used to play Counter Strike a lot. So when a few friends wanted to play some CS ripoff on PS3, I thought that I'd be just as good and that it'd be just as fun. And it sucked.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 6:49:29 PM
A lot of people can't play the good PC games because of their hardware.

You could buy a brand new $900 desktop from Dell right now, and I almost guarantee it won't be able to play any graphics intensive games.

They like to put over 9000GBs of RAM and over 9000GBs of hard drive space, but they ALWAYS skimp on the video card in a default machine. Integrated Graphics are the biggest joke I've ever seen and they continue to sell them default in the majority of computers they sell.

You could max out every other option, but unless you know how to go to newegg, buy a better video card, and install it yourself, you're pretty much SOL.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 7:09:23 PM
At 10/14/2008 6:49:29 PM, s0m31john wrote:
They like to put over 9000GBs of RAM and over 9000GBs of hard drive space, but they ALWAYS skimp on the video card in a default machine. Integrated Graphics are the biggest joke I've ever seen and they continue to sell them default in the majority of computers they sell.

Qué? Sorry, I don't speak hardware. Software ftw.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 8:02:15 PM
At 10/14/2008 7:09:23 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Qué? Sorry, I don't speak hardware. Software ftw.

Basically, they make machines that are good at word processing, but not much else.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 11:14:57 PM
If you've got the time, it's awesome. I'm on Lightninghoof.

The monthly cost might seem bad, but really, compare it to most other kinds of entertainment per hour (if you play it a lot anyway) and it comes out about to be pretty damn cheap.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2008 11:39:15 PM
At 10/14/2008 11:14:57 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The monthly cost might seem bad, but really, compare it to most other kinds of entertainment per hour (if you play it a lot anyway) and it comes out about to be pretty damn cheap.

Coming to this site [or any other], $0/hour of entertainment
Socializing: $0/hour of entertainment
Playing any other game you already own: $0/hour of entertainment
Intimate interactions with other people [or without other people]: $0/hour of entertainment

And so it came to pass that WoW was one of the worst entertainment/money products. The only things that cost as much are things that diminish a great number of man hours or other real resources. WoW staff spend very little time per paying individual on the game, and there are minimal other resources consumed in bringing WoW to you.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 8:53:35 AM
The only way I'd be willing to pay a fee for one game as well as donate a ridiculous amount of my time to it would be if there were actually a good virtual reality game (along the lines of the anime series .Hack sign or perhaps The Sims).
joshandr30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 9:08:53 AM
At 10/14/2008 11:39:15 PM, beem0r wrote:

Intimate interactions with other people [or without other people]: $0/hour of entertainment
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 10:05:22 AM

Without other people yeah...

With other people, there's a much higher price than you might think unless you're already in a committed relationship. We're talking hundreds of dollars an hour here, unless you want a REALLY ugly one- or a lot of careful work plus the price of a few dinners and movies at least.

And playing other games might be cheaper per hour if you played them forever, but most other games don't have nearly the depth of experience...

Let's say the average wow player plays 10 hours a week (and a lot play more). That's 40 hours roughly a month. 35 cents an hour. Compare that to, say, renting a movie (dunno price but I know it's less efficient :D) Or watching cable television, if you do that 10 hours a week, it's what, 50 bucks a month these days?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 10:21:19 AM
i don't know video games very well. I played this game a few years ago and found it to be very exciting in the beginning but then it just get so f*cking repetitive. you do the same thing over and over and over again

i actually still have my character and i heard you can get pretty good money selling them. Its a 49 rogue if anyone is interested.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 12:00:55 PM
At 10/15/2008 10:05:22 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
but most other games don't have nearly the depth of experience...
I'll admit that among MMO's, it is probably the most engrossing. It has a crappy storyline, though. Guild Wars actually has a better storyline, but the gameplay isn't as fun.

to be honest, I thought WoW got a bit boring after a while. I ended up just using it as an economy simulator. Played for probably half a year, got to level 43 or so, but had nearly 1000 extra gold. I also enjoyed chatting in town. I pretty much lived in Stormwind.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 2:42:32 PM
Well, I played for a little while today.

When I play RPGs I like to do the economy thing like you were talking about beem0r.

I think WoW focuses too much on combat. I like games where you don't have to focus on combat to progress. I like skills where I can make things and sell them, alchemy, fletching, woodcraft, etc.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 3:16:29 PM
At 10/14/2008 11:39:15 PM, beem0r wrote:

Playing any other game you already own: $0/hour of entertainment

And so it came to pass that WoW was one of the worst entertainment/money products. The only things that cost as much are things that diminish a great number of man hours or other real resources. WoW staff spend very little time per paying individual on the game, and there are minimal other resources consumed in bringing WoW to you.

Playing world of warcraft... $15 a month

Social interactions... priceless

...Mastercard
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2008 3:56:06 PM
"
I think WoW focuses too much on combat. I like games where you don't have to focus on combat to progress. I like skills where I can make things and sell them, alchemy, fletching, woodcraft, etc.
"
There are loads of people who spend all day spamming trade chat selling various alchemy or jewelcrafting type stuff...

The problem, of course, is that such is best practiced when you've levelled to 70, and that requires combat.

If ya really want an economy focused game though, I can recommend a free one. Renaissancekingdoms.com (Just put Shaitan as your sponsor and come to Ireland). It's got a lot of roleplaying, but the game itself is largely focused on daily economic activities, along with political aspects. There are combat systems, but only about 5% of the players ever involve themselves in combat.
Lightkeeper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2008 4:24:48 AM
World of Warcraft absolutely rocks. Take it from me. And I should know? I was a gaming addict before most people here were even born :P :P :P
Dnick94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2008 11:09:48 AM
World of Warcraft makes too much game addiction. It cost a lot and psychologist Maressa Orzack at McLean Hospital outside of Boston, believes that up to 40% of World of Warcraft gamers are "addicted" to the game.
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them."
-Albert Einstein
WoWfanatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2009 6:08:22 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
yeah but you might be addicted but your still having a life lol its a great game people these days saying runescapes better but wtf they know thats a online for begginers as WoW is a advanced game and you get your moneys worth
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2009 9:14:43 AM
At 10/7/2009 6:08:22 AM, WoWfanatic wrote:
yeah but you might be addicted but your still having a life lol its a great game people these days saying runescapes better but wtf they know thats a online for begginers as WoW is a advanced game and you get your moneys worth

A life, yes. A life that is centered around WoW.

Sadly thats not a real life. Please get actual friends instead of your online friends through WoW.
WoWfanatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 12:56:37 AM
you can have a real life but in spare time play world of warcraft its a bit like a 3d multiplayer msn lol you talk to people across the world
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 4:11:33 PM
At 10/8/2009 12:56:37 AM, WoWfanatic wrote:
you can have a real life but in spare time play world of warcraft its a bit like a 3d multiplayer msn lol you talk to people across the world

Thats the same thing that people who play Second Life, tell me. It does not change the fact that you are a loser.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 4:38:09 PM
You should be very careful when playing this game. The problem is that it makes you attached to it, not because you cannot let the game content go, but because you make friends with many people, planning on doing some quests with them at specific times, and when you have arranged something with them, you just don't want to disappoint them, especially when 24 people are waiting for you, and you're playing a special role as raid leader, and so forth.

To sum it up, you're not just being attached to the game, but to all kinds of people, and it may cause a lot of problems. It's up to you whether you want to play the game or not, but the main features in the game are about forming a group with some people, doing quests with them, and all kinds of things, and joining guilds, so even if you want to stop playing the game, you don't want to break the relationship with all the people you've gotten to know. If you decide to play the game, be very careful, and avoid being attached to other people, and don't play more than one hour per day.
Therammo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 5:19:04 PM
I play WoW and have played in 2 years now. All I can tell you is that it's a very attractive game that you can get very attached to.
Anyway if you ask me about the game I would give it a 8 / 10 rating.

Peace :)
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 4:32:29 AM
At 10/16/2009 4:38:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
You should be very careful when playing this game. The problem is that it makes you attached to it, not because you cannot let the game content go, but because you make friends with many people, planning on doing some quests with them at specific times, and when you have arranged something with them, you just don't want to disappoint them, especially when 24 people are waiting for you, and you're playing a special role as raid leader, and so forth.

To sum it up, you're not just being attached to the game, but to all kinds of people, and it may cause a lot of problems. It's up to you whether you want to play the game or not, but the main features in the game are about forming a group with some people, doing quests with them, and all kinds of things, and joining guilds, so even if you want to stop playing the game, you don't want to break the relationship with all the people you've gotten to know. If you decide to play the game, be very careful, and avoid being attached to other people, and don't play more than one hour per day.

I was waiting for the - and don't wear cloaks, give yourself an Elvish name and play DnD, at the end of that.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 8:32:06 AM
just for the little match by the side :)

btw, this game is for people who wish they had lives
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!