Jump to topic:

The blues

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 11:34:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
God damnit, I know someone on this forum has got the blues besides me.

I love all kinds of music, usually with a preference towards the experimental and complex.. But there is just something about the blues that brings it home for me.

This is a topic for those who love the muthafuggin blues, damnit!

Anyone else here dig the blues?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 11:41:06 PM
drunk post, I posted the same song twice, pardon.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 11:48:49 PM
I don't have the blues but I love the blues. Ever heard if WC Handy? Florence ALabama isn't far from me, every summer they have the Handy festival. Live blues music out on the street and in every bar downtown. I take off work during the festival just so I can spend as much time down there as possible. And I'm hardly sober too. :)

I know it's probably even better up there in Chicago but downtown Nashville is awesome every night if the week. Me and the misses try to spend a weekend or three up there as much as possible.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:43:03 AM
I took a blues history class in college

my roommate had one of miles davis's guitar rifts tattooed on his arm.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:54:13 AM
At 5/29/2011 12:43:03 AM, askbob wrote:
I took a blues history class in college

my roommate had one of miles davis's guitar rifts tattooed on his arm.

Wasn't Miles Davis was a jazz trumpeter...?

I know I'm going to get sh*t for saying this, but Cream's cover kicks the original's a*s.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 1:54:03 AM
You are correct, it was thelonious monk and it was a piano line.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:10:27 AM
Anyone else here dig the blues?:

The Blues is an honest style of music, and one of the easiest to free jam to. You can endlessly loop chords and beats in a Blues session that could easily go on for 45 minutes without ever stopping.

What I don't like about it is its predictability. It all sounds like a carbon copy, so it gets boring. If you're a drummer, bassist, or rhythm guitar, your world consists of a box. You hit notes in box on the fret board, or as the drummer it's a constant 4/4 beat with few fills. It's boring.... Unless of course you're lead guitar.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:17:49 AM
I almost forgot about the Blues, I was too wrapped up in my Jazz.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:01:37 PM
At 5/29/2011 9:10:27 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

The Blues is an honest style of music, and one of the easiest to free jam to. You can endlessly loop chords and beats in a Blues session that could easily go on for 45 minutes without ever stopping.

What I don't like about it is its predictability. It all sounds like a carbon copy, so it gets boring. If you're a drummer, bassist, or rhythm guitar, your world consists of a box. You hit notes in box on the fret board, or as the drummer it's a constant 4/4 beat with few fills. It's boring.... Unless of course you're lead guitar.

Blues being boring for a drummer, bassist, or rhythm guitarist is the biggest myth in the world.

This is only true in the case of players who aren't really blues players, are bad players, or are who are condescending towards the blues.

I know bass players who rip it up. I know drummers who mix it up, and I know rhythm guitar players who hardly if ever play the same thing twice.

The difference between the boring and the interesting blues musicians.. Tends to be a matter of education. The interesting blues musicians tend to be self educated.. By this, I don't mean learning licks off of a video, I mean they figured things out on their own, or read books. The boring blues musicians learn licks off of videos, and went to college to learn music.

Copy cats are easy to find. People who actually have the balls to go out there, take a risk, and bullsh!t something on the spot are far more interesting.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 2:27:10 PM
At 5/29/2011 9:10:27 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Shoot, I love the long free jams. That is perfect for holding in to your baby moving real slow for as long as possible. There is nothing like it, dark smoke filled bar dancing slow to the live band just feet away. Can't hear anything but that bass guitar. When you can actually feel the music and your lover, get close and as one you can feel her heart beat in-between the bass licks. Like I said, nothing like it.

I pray the good Lord likes the blues.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 9:57:56 PM
At 5/29/2011 2:27:10 PM, jharry wrote:

I pray the good Lord likes the blues.

Jesus got the blues, you know it.

I'm actually pretty sure I used this backing track when doing this recording a bit a goes. I was undoubtedly sh!t faced when I recorded this, but when I play it live in bars, it's a crowd favorite. When I play it live though, It's a lot more entertaining, I usually break into this little rap bit, where I stumble around the stage, doing my own little version of the "12 steps".

http://www.newgrounds.com...

But anyway, I'm reviving this topic because I love the blues, and felt like sharing some more tracks.

Yeah, every time I get drunk, I feel like sharing the blues. Blues is my drinkin' music, fo'sho.

Yer damn right I love the blues. I wish more guys my age were into this type of music, I tell ya. I think more younger guys would get into it if they heard it live. Every friend I've ever dragged over to a blues show really dug it. Something about hearing this type of music(or really any type of music) live just affects you in a way that records or videos on youtube can't replicate. You feel it.