Jump to topic:

Best Season of SNL Since Ferrell Era

HisFlyness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 8:41:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think this past season of Saturday Night Live was probably one of the best since the Will Ferrell era in the late nineties, early 2000's. I feel like almost every episode was more complete from top to bottom: no over emphasis on over-the-top characters regurgitating catchphrase (although they were there occasionally), but no overly complex jokes written for two people in the audience who get it. The hosts did well, even the ones who had slighter, more supportive roles. The only downside has been a lack of the political commentary openers, but I think by the end of the season, the writers understood that was a weak point, and began to cut them, inserting other issues in instead (like the Death of Osama bin Laden, Dominique Strauss-Kahn's scandal, etc.).

Not to mention, I laughed a lot (kind of the whole point).
"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost." - Tolkein...or Babe Ruth. One of those guys.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 11:26:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/8/2011 8:41:10 AM, HisFlyness wrote:
I think this past season of Saturday Night Live was probably one of the best since the Will Ferrell era in the late nineties, early 2000's. I feel like almost every episode was more complete from top to bottom: no over emphasis on over-the-top characters regurgitating catchphrase (although they were there occasionally), but no overly complex jokes written for two people in the audience who get it. The hosts did well, even the ones who had slighter, more supportive roles. The only downside has been a lack of the political commentary openers, but I think by the end of the season, the writers understood that was a weak point, and began to cut them, inserting other issues in instead (like the Death of Osama bin Laden, Dominique Strauss-Kahn's scandal, etc.).

Not to mention, I laughed a lot (kind of the whole point).

I haven't watched it in a few weeks but I remember some very old characters still being played (like that black guy that sings through his entire talk show; I always skip over that). Some episodes were pretty funny while others weren't but what stikes me the most is that the new comedians they are bringing on aren't very good. When the Wiggs, Sadakis's and the Haders start leaving the show there isn't going to be much left. I don't really keep up with entertainment news but I've wondered if Lauren Michaels is trying to retire the show with him (is he still even the producer?).
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it