Do you like Star Trek ?

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 6:17:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well check this one out.

Google these words> Air Force Space Command.
It has a symbol on Google images.
What does it look like.
Leave us your answers below.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 12:05:42 PM
I am a hardcore trekkie. The original series was absolutely ground-breaking for science fiction, next gen had one of the most enjoyable casts in history, DS9 and Voyager were fun off-shoots to keep the trek pheens basted, and Enterprise sucked balls so bad I'd like to forget it was ever created.
kfc
Brainmaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 12:08:59 PM
At 6/26/2011 12:05:42 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
I am a hardcore trekkie. The original series was absolutely ground-breaking for science fiction, next gen had one of the most enjoyable casts in history, DS9 and Voyager were fun off-shoots to keep the trek pheens basted, and Enterprise sucked balls so bad I'd like to forget it was ever created.

DS9 kicks TNG's asss.
Kfc.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 4:23:05 PM
At 6/26/2011 12:08:59 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
At 6/26/2011 12:05:42 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

DS9 kicks TNG's asss.

Negative, troll-man. Jadzia wasn't half as sexxy as Troi, and none of the DS9 characters were as appealing as Picard or Data. Kirk and Picard will probably never be dethroned as the most awesomest captains that have ever lived. DS9 had good battle scenes, but that's because it came out later and built upon what TNG started.
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2011 4:31:56 PM
Also, some of the best characters from DS9 were TNG recasts: O'Brien, Dukat, and Worf.

Not to say that DS9 wasn't very enjoyable - it was. I especially liked Gul Dukat. That guy was such a good actor... ST had a knack for finding talent, I won't deny that.

DS9's plot was rather one-dimensional compared to TNG though. A war with the Dominion. Epic, but predictable. I also didn't care for a lot of the Ferengi side plots. TNG had many less throw-away episodes than that of DS9 or Voy.
kfc
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2011 12:48:01 PM
Deep Space Nine was ok. It did not live up to the suspense and action packed
quality of The Next Generation. Troi was the sexiest of them all.
PiperPhoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2011 3:45:57 PM
At 6/29/2011 12:48:01 PM, interrogator wrote:
Deep Space Nine was ok. It did not live up to the suspense and action packed
quality of The Next Generation. Troi was the sexiest of them all.

I'm a fan of Pichard! TNG is amazing! and what about 7 of 9?
Demons run when a good man goes to war;
Night will fall and drown the sun
When a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies,
Night will fall and the dark will rise,
When a good man goes to war,
Demons run, but count the cost,
The battle's won, but the child is lost,
When a good man goes to war.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 11:28:13 AM
At 6/27/2011 4:31:56 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Also, some of the best characters from DS9 were TNG recasts: O'Brien, Dukat, and Worf.

Not to say that DS9 wasn't very enjoyable - it was. I especially liked Gul Dukat. That guy was such a good actor... ST had a knack for finding talent, I won't deny that.

DS9's plot was rather one-dimensional compared to TNG though. A war with the Dominion. Epic, but predictable. I also didn't care for a lot of the Ferengi side plots. TNG had many less throw-away episodes than that of DS9 or Voy.

Fail. Dukat was an extra, and never actually had any backstory in the TNG series. I dont even remember if Dukat was ever in TNG, only the actor played like a romuan and a different cardassian. Obrien was also a minor cast in TNG. Besides, Bashir was better than Obrien, hands down. And, of course, the actor who played Garak was also quite good, although a bit on the dramatic side.

As a series, i agree, TNG was better, but when you consider individual episodes, DS9 has the best episodes, hands down. Furthermore, to me, DS9 had a better ending that actually felt like an ending, than TNG.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 10:06:05 AM
At 7/13/2011 11:28:13 AM, tkubok wrote:

Fail. Dukat was an extra, and never actually had any backstory in the TNG series. I dont even remember if Dukat was ever in TNG, only the actor played like a romuan and a different cardassian. Obrien was also a minor cast in TNG. Besides, Bashir was better than Obrien, hands down. And, of course, the actor who played Garak was also quite good, although a bit on the dramatic side.

*As I'm watching through the DS9 series again*

Yeah I'm just trying to say that TNG laid much of the framework for DS9 as far as innovation. It's not a fair comparison since much of the work (establishing good characters, laying down the story line) was done by TNG and simply expanded by DS9. Also, that was a pivotal time of technological innovation as far as graphics and DS9 enjoyed a much more polished look because of it, so you have to give TNG extra points in that regard.

As a series, i agree, TNG was better, but when you consider individual episodes, DS9 has the best episodes, hands down. Furthermore, to me, DS9 had a better ending that actually felt like an ending, than TNG.

TNG wasn't planned out like DS9; I imagine they didn't know until the last season whether or not they were going to end it. DS9 also had a simpler plot (a war) while TNG was just about exploring the galaxy.
Rob
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 1:22:07 PM
At 7/14/2011 10:06:05 AM, Lasagna wrote:

Yeah I'm just trying to say that TNG laid much of the framework for DS9 as far as innovation. It's not a fair comparison since much of the work (establishing good characters, laying down the story line) was done by TNG and simply expanded by DS9. Also, that was a pivotal time of technological innovation as far as graphics and DS9 enjoyed a much more polished look because of it, so you have to give TNG extra points in that regard.
By that logic, TOS laid the storyline for TNG.

Furthermore, i never once praised the graphics or the storyline in relation to TNG, so i fail to see what your criticism has to do with my post.

I praised the actors, the developement of Characters and storyline in DS9, as well as the stories in individual episodes. None of which has anything that "borrowed" from technological advancements or previous TNG plotlines.

TNG wasn't planned out like DS9; I imagine they didn't know until the last season whether or not they were going to end it. DS9 also had a simpler plot (a war) while TNG was just about exploring the galaxy.

DS9 only planned out for, at most, a third of its episodes, probably less. If you understand how writers gather together and discuss the plot and possible episodes, you will know that they keep a few ideas floating so that they can continue the story through many different seasons, while thinking up some individual episode plots. DS9 was no exception, and neither was TNG. Also, War does not necessarily make it a simpler plot driver, especially if you are dragging it out for a couple seasons, it becomes extremely hard to pace the action so that the episodes dont get boring and redundant.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 1:25:06 PM
TNG is my favorite, but I am currently watching ENT.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 1:39:34 PM
At 7/14/2011 10:06:05 AM, Lasagna wrote:

Funny, i loved TNG when it came out and never missed an episode, dispite it being on a very inconvenient time (Saturday night at 7PM). Now, it's the only series of the Star Treks that i have a hard time watching as a rerun. I can watch the orignal series all the time, even though i pretty much have every episode's script committed to my memory. I don't know why TNG just doesn't seem to do it in rerun, it seems like the acting is forced and schlocky, and other than Borg episodes, the rest seem so so. DS9 and Voyager are both on par with me, but i would give the edge to Voyager because i like the idea of a space ship rather than a space station.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 10:08:42 PM
At 7/14/2011 1:25:06 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I watched a few episodes of ENT... it was so horrible I could not continue it.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 10:26:17 PM
tkubok: I suppose the only original series was the original series, so any trek series is going to borrow. The only notable differences then are the technology available at the time, the casting, and the story. DS9 was a lot more polished due to it coming out later, but for some reason TNG was a lot more successful and I can only attribute this to the story and the casting. I don't believe DS9 had a character as popular as Data, and while us trekkies might love Sisko he just wasn't as epic as Picard. All of the main characters on TOS were legendary, and it would seem that as every series appears we get less of that legend in the casting. DS9 and VOY both had enjoyable characters (for a trekky), but none of them approached what McCoy, Spock, Scotty, Kirk, Picard, or Data achieved.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 11:09:57 PM
Funny, i loved TNG when it came out and never missed an episode, dispite it being on a very inconvenient time (Saturday night at 7PM). Now, it's the only series of the Star Treks that i have a hard time watching as a rerun. I can watch the orignal series all the time, even though i pretty much have every episode's script committed to my memory. I don't know why TNG just doesn't seem to do it in rerun, it seems like the acting is forced and schlocky, and other than Borg episodes, the rest seem so so. DS9 and Voyager are both on par with me, but i would give the edge to Voyager because i like the idea of a space ship rather than a space station.

Again, TNG is harder to watch for someone who's seen it all because the storyline was much less developed. Sure, it was working off the base of what TOS started, but let's be honest here: 3 seasons, made in the 1960s, weren't going to lay a whole lot of foundation.

I think that DS9 and VOY had the advantage of more developed personalities for the aliens who they were purporting to be. A good example is the Ferengi; in TNG they were monkey-like beings running around with whips. By DS9-time, they had a very well-set personality as libertarians, sort of like how most of the DDO population tend to behave. BTW I think that the Rom character really sucked; his stupidity was just a drag.

VOY may have not used most of the aliens in previous series, but they still had more experience by this point to know what to do with them.

Even though the tech and the acting got better (ENT excluded), the later series didn't have the magic to be as successful simply because the characters weren't as universally appealing.

Another thing I've noticed about ST is that the story-line tends to burn out. We've had the big war, the ship trying to get home, and of course the flagship exploring new territory. It's kind of hard to go anywhere else with the storyline if you think about it. What else is there to do? A new series would be hard to make believable (in terms of trying to avoid what's already been done) while still making it as exciting as the previous ideas. Also, as the series progress, it's nice to show some technological progress to keep things fresh. But ST already pushes the limits of common sense with the tech used so it's hard to do that anymore. Many of the episodes have glaring holes in the physics of what they are doing and there really isn't room to expand. Examples:
- Data: how long is it logically going to take for scientists to duplicate him? Shouldn't we be seeing androids all over the place by now?
- Time travel: it's always asserted that beings in the slight future have total control over time travel. This makes for some logically paralyzing scenarios.
- power: villains can destroy planets and even stars already. Where to go from here?
- transporters and replicators: these things seem to defy all physical laws, particularly that of the second law of thermodynamics. They are already ridiculous and present lots of holes in the plots, like that DS9 episode "The Ship" where the Jem 'Hadar are trying to get at them the whole time and there's no reason why they couldn't have just beamed Sisko et al. off the planet into space at any point.

I believe this is why they've been trying to use earlier eras for new shows, to try and avoid the pitfalls of how ridiculous the technologies they are using are becoming.
Rob
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:09:12 PM
At 7/14/2011 10:08:42 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 7/14/2011 1:25:06 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I watched a few episodes of ENT... it was so horrible I could not continue it.

Eh, its not the worst sci-fi series out there. I watched SGU a few times and it really pissed me off but I figured out how to bear watching it.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.