"Fair Use"

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 5:45:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Any excuse to advertise myself is a good excuse! :D

Anyway, YouTube e-mailed me saying that my cover infringed copyrights, and that no action on my part was required, but that my video could potentially be taken down.

Given that I (1) gave credit, (2) sampled nothing from the original song, and (3) am not making money off my cover, my question is where my cover falls in the realm of fair use and copyright law.

Other topics of discussion: comments on the actual cover and what you all think of the fair use discussion in general.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 8:33:44 AM
At 7/13/2011 5:45:57 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Any excuse to advertise myself is a good excuse! :D

Anyway, YouTube e-mailed me saying that my cover infringed copyrights, and that no action on my part was required, but that my video could potentially be taken down.

Given that I (1) gave credit, (2) sampled nothing from the original song, and (3) am not making money off my cover, my question is where my cover falls in the realm of fair use and copyright law.

I think you're technically supposed to have permission if you're broadcasting someone else's compostion. That's all I can think of.

Other topics of discussion: comments on the actual cover

I think it's a pretty horrible song myself, though I don't know the original, but you sing it quite nicely and you have a decent vocal range. You might wanna lower the microphone a bit, it looks a bit high for you. Is the vid the actual vocal take or a sing along to a prior recording? Either way, you might wanna consider using a popshield when you record if you're not already. A pair of tights (pantyhose) with a bent coat hanger and stand should do the trick nearly as good as a proper one.

and what you all think of the fair use discussion in general.

I think creative sampling that isn't just a reproduction should be freely allowed and I think you should be able to broadcast a cover or interpolation without permission as long as you acknowledge the original and aren't earning off it.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 6:32:03 PM
At 7/14/2011 8:33:44 AM, feverish wrote:
I think you're technically supposed to have permission if you're broadcasting someone else's compostion. That's all I can think of.

):

I think it's a pretty horrible song myself, though I don't know the original, but you sing it quite nicely and you have a decent vocal range.

Thanks. :D

You might wanna lower the microphone a bit, it looks a bit high for you.

Part of that has to do with the camera angle... it was high but not that high.

Is the vid the actual vocal take or a sing along to a prior recording? Either way, you might wanna consider using a popshield when you record if you're not already. A pair of tights (pantyhose) with a bent coat hanger and stand should do the trick nearly as good as a proper one.

Prior to recording, and I never got a popshield because I never thought it mattered.

I think creative sampling that isn't just a reproduction should be freely allowed and I think you should be able to broadcast a cover or interpolation without permission as long as you acknowledge the original and aren't earning off it.

That seems a lot more fair and logical.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 7:39:01 PM
At 7/14/2011 7:12:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Holy crap you sound like Weird Al!

Is that a good thing or bad thing? I can't tell.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 7:41:24 PM
At 7/14/2011 7:39:01 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/14/2011 7:12:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Holy crap you sound like Weird Al!

Is that a good thing or bad thing? I can't tell.

I'm just giving you information, whether you take it as an insult or a compliment is up to you.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 11:21:32 PM
My constructive criticism: Next time use reverb on your voice and double or triple your vocal tracks to give it more body. It sounded very flat. I would also work on your vibrato too. Other than that minor critique it was good.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)