Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:00:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thoughts, from anyone who saw it?
I caught the midnight premier. I need to see it again to formulate a real opinion. my immediate thoughts as written on my facebook were:

deathly hallows part II was great and definitely worth seeing at midnight. there were some scenes that made absolutely no sense, some that were a little rushed, and a few that were overly cliche'd and corny, but the acting was very powerful throughout and there were certainly more than a few scenes that exceeded my expectations and couldn't have been done better. i give it somewhere between a B+ and A-.

it's gotten very solid reviews though. so what did everyone think?
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:17:09 AM
I saw the midnight showing of it. It wasn't as quite as good as the books (not that any movies based off of books are), but it was a huge improvement over the last Harry Potter movie and possibly my favorite HP movie. Watching the last movie, I got the idea that breaking the seventh book into two movies was a terrible idea, but having seen this one, I can't imagine how it would have worked otherwise. It was surprisingly close to how I imagined it would be after I read the book. Normally I don't like 3D, but it was done well this time. I agree with the B+/A- ranking.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 1:38:40 AM
Actually I thought the last one was good, considering it couldn't help but be a prelude. There were some really great stuff about this one - Snape's scene was absolutely fantastic and Alan Rickman was amazing. That was definitely where I got the most emotionally invested in the movie. But there were a bunch of objections I had, namely:
Oh yeah, spoiler alert......

- Fred's death. Wtf? They didn't see it happen, which is why it packed such a punch to begin with - in the midst of all the chaotic battle Harry turns around and sees Rockwood kill Fred, and Rowling says something like "and Fred died with the ghost of his last smile etched on his face." The fact that he kind of just stumbled on him later made Fred's death an afterthought. Lame. Ron starts crying of course, and then Harry kinda just looks around like "Man, this f*ckin sucks," and by that point I was thoroughly ticked off at the way they butchered that scene.

- Neville's speech. When Voldemort tells everybody to join him or die (when Harry is faking dead) Neville walks up and insists on having something to say. He delivers a rousing, inspiring speech about why the death that Voldemort and his followers were celebrating actually means nothing and they can go on and win anyway. This entire time, Voldemort and his army are literally just standing there and watching him speak. Um, HELL no would Voldemort just stand there and let him go on and on (as the corny music begins to play in the background); he'd avada kedavra his $$ to oblivion. Annoying.

- Voldemort's death - my biggest qualm with the movie. First of all, Harry and Voldemort are supposed to taunt each other and converse. In the book, Harry totally trash talked him and belittled him in front of everyone - nobody was there when they were fighting in the movie! - and reveal that Voldemort pretty much got screwed over. Here Voldemort just chased Harry around, fires the spell and dies.

But he doesn't just die. He turns into freaking paper and explodes. Weirdest scene by far, he literally turns into ashes. And the worst part about his death is that when all is said and done, after saving the entire Wizarding World from sure doom, Harry walks into the Great Hall and everyone ignores him. No joke, not one acknowledgment that he just took down the dude who was going to wipe the floor with every single last one of them. I wasn't even sure they knew he was dead. Not one cheer, not one hoorah, nothing. That entire scene totally sucked.

So those were my biggest objections. I honestly want to like the movie, and I'm admittedly a biased and obsessed fan, so I'll see it again hopefully with a more open mind. Those three things still annoyed the hell out of me though.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 12:08:09 AM
At 7/16/2011 1:38:40 AM, jat93 wrote:
Actually I thought the last one was good, considering it couldn't help but be a prelude.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but they could have done a lot more with it. They had a whole movie for half of a book, when they usually have to fit a whole book in one movie. It was definitely good, but it had a lot more potential.
There were some really great stuff about this one - Snape's scene was absolutely fantastic and Alan Rickman was amazing. That was definitely where I got the most emotionally invested in the movie. But there were a bunch of objections I had, namely:
Oh yeah, spoiler alert......

- Fred's death. Wtf? They didn't see it happen, which is why it packed such a punch to begin with - in the midst of all the chaotic battle Harry turns around and sees Rockwood kill Fred, and Rowling says something like "and Fred died with the ghost of his last smile etched on his face." The fact that he kind of just stumbled on him later made Fred's death an afterthought. Lame. Ron starts crying of course, and then Harry kinda just looks around like "Man, this f*ckin sucks," and by that point I was thoroughly ticked off at the way they butchered that scene.

I completely agree on this, they took an amazing scene from the book and turned it into what was just another "he died" movie scene.

- Neville's speech. When Voldemort tells everybody to join him or die (when Harry is faking dead) Neville walks up and insists on having something to say. He delivers a rousing, inspiring speech about why the death that Voldemort and his followers were celebrating actually means nothing and they can go on and win anyway. This entire time, Voldemort and his army are literally just standing there and watching him speak. Um, HELL no would Voldemort just stand there and let him go on and on (as the corny music begins to play in the background); he'd avada kedavra his $$ to oblivion. Annoying.

Exactly. They seem to have forgotten that Voldemort is the bad guy, he's not going to allow Neville to start a rebellion!

- Voldemort's death - my biggest qualm with the movie. First of all, Harry and Voldemort are supposed to taunt each other and converse. In the book, Harry totally trash talked him and belittled him in front of everyone - nobody was there when they were fighting in the movie! - and reveal that Voldemort pretty much got screwed over. Here Voldemort just chased Harry around, fires the spell and dies.

But he doesn't just die. He turns into freaking paper and explodes. Weirdest scene by far, he literally turns into ashes. And the worst part about his death is that when all is said and done, after saving the entire Wizarding World from sure doom, Harry walks into the Great Hall and everyone ignores him. No joke, not one acknowledgment that he just took down the dude who was going to wipe the floor with every single last one of them. I wasn't even sure they knew he was dead. Not one cheer, not one hoorah, nothing. That entire scene totally sucked.

Eight movies of buildup, and then...paper? I'm sure there was some sort of reasoning behind that decision, but I still don't get it.

So those were my biggest objections. I honestly want to like the movie, and I'm admittedly a biased and obsessed fan, so I'll see it again hopefully with a more open mind. Those three things still annoyed the hell out of me though.

I plan to do the same thing, but mostly because I don't want to admit it's over.

There were parts of the movie that I liked, though. McGonagall was awesome, she's always been one of my favorite characters from the book, so hearing her say "I've always wanted to use that spell" after waking up the statues to fight Voldemort had me laughing in the theater.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 12:16:21 AM
At 7/17/2011 12:08:09 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
McGonagall was awesome, she's always been one of my favorite characters from the book, so hearing her say "I've always wanted to use that spell" after waking up the statues to fight Voldemort had me laughing in the theater.

ahaha i loved that scene. also when malfoy walks up and voldemort gives him a hug, that cracked me up. also, LOVED bellatrix. lol.

a few things bugged me though. the cgi in the ressurection stone scene kind of annoyed me... and the actor who does snape wasn't very good at doing anguish, which ticked me off. i think the whole snape reveal thing was my favorite part of the second book, and the movie actually didn't do that badly with it except the grimace thingy on snape's face.

also about neville's speech. voldemort thinks he's just won and is now invincible. i don't see why he can't listen to some pathetic kid give a speech and then torture him or something. he didn't see neville as a threat, so there was no reason to kill him. that made perfect sense to me.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 12:23:25 AM
Omfg, I cried when Snape died and then when Harry looked at his memories! :'( This is only the second movie to ever make me cry(Titanic was the first) despite already knowing Snape was ging to die, having read the books.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:10:44 AM
At 7/17/2011 12:23:25 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Omfg, I cried when Snape died and then when Harry looked at his memories! :'( This is only the second movie to ever make me cry(Titanic was the first) despite already knowing Snape was ging to die, having read the books.

Alan Rickman is an absolutely amazing actor, enough said. And of course Severus Snape is just a freaking awesome character. My favorite HP character.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:13:53 AM
At 7/17/2011 1:10:44 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 7/17/2011 12:23:25 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Alan Rickman is an absolutely amazing actor, enough said. And of course Severus Snape is just a freaking awesome character. My favorite HP character.

My favourite as well and I used to hate him until the last book when everything was finally revealed.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:20:48 AM
At 7/17/2011 12:16:21 AM, belle wrote:
At 7/17/2011 12:08:09 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
McGonagall was awesome, she's always been one of my favorite characters from the book, so hearing her say "I've always wanted to use that spell" after waking up the statues to fight Voldemort had me laughing in the theater.

ahaha i loved that scene. also when malfoy walks up and voldemort gives him a hug, that cracked me up. also, LOVED bellatrix. lol.

LOL that was so funny, malfoy's like "oh sh*t this is so uncomfortable, please stop" and voldy awkwardly pats him on the back like your old grandma would. weird.

a few things bugged me though. the cgi in the ressurection stone scene kind of annoyed me... and the actor who does snape wasn't very good at doing anguish, which ticked me off. i think the whole snape reveal thing was my favorite part of the second book, and the movie actually didn't do that badly with it except the grimace thingy on snape's face.

what?! alan rickman did everything so well. he can't totally break down because that's not who snape is. he did the perfect balance between not showing enough emotion and sobbing like a two year old. i really think his acting was so powerful and above all believable. he was legitimately in love with lily, it really made me feel for him. snape scenes = best part of the movie by far.

also about neville's speech. voldemort thinks he's just won and is now invincible. i don't see why he can't listen to some pathetic kid give a speech and then torture him or something. he didn't see neville as a threat, so there was no reason to kill him. that made perfect sense to me.

k, you're thinking like a normal rational human being, not an evil dude who systematically murders people in his spare time. and neville's speech could have very well inspired some kind of rebellion which would have certainly been annoying for voldemort. maybe after like a sentence or two but his speech got a bit excessive and the "real" voldemort would have certainly killed him after a certain point.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:55:41 PM
I love the Harry Potter series. But the ending wasn't very good. The scene with Snape's memories was absolutely perfect. Alan Rickman is an amazing actor. Been a fan of his since Die Hard. But Voldemort's death was so under played. He just died. And nobody gave a Damn. They reacted to Harry as if he just came back from the store. Not like he just killed Magical Hitler. Also I wanted to see Harry use the torture curse. Show he's human. And why didn't he fix his wand?
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 1:45:08 AM
What even happens with his death? Harry didn't kill him. When Neville killed Nagini that for some reason also killed Voldemort, not like he doesn't have any soul left in him, he would have stayed alive.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:37:34 AM
I just saw the movie, and while I didn't read book 6+ I wasn't thrilled with the ending. Harry survived an Avadra Cadabra when he clearly should have died as a way to kill part of Voldemort. The fight between him and Voldemort wasn't really that exciting either. Idk, I just wasn't thrilled.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:50:09 AM
Warning: Haven't seen the movies, but have read the books. Most probably, they didn't cut any of the important scenes, so my answer should be valid.

At 7/21/2011 10:37:34 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I just saw the movie, and while I didn't read book 6+ I wasn't thrilled with the ending. Harry survived an Avadra Cadabra when he clearly should have died as a way to kill part of Voldemort.

In the forbidden forest, because Voldemort had Harry's blood in his body, Harry couldn't be killed as his mother's protection lived on now in Voldemort too. Instead, Voldemort himself destroyed the part of his own soul that resided in Harry's body because as you said, he made Harry a horcrux.

And because Harry sacrificed himself for those he loved, they all were protected the way Harry was protected by his mother. And yes, there were 8 horcruxes.

And, during the last battle scene, the curse rebounded because he cast Expelliarmus at the same time that Voldemort cast Avada Kedavra, and his spell deflected Voldemort's, thus causing it to rebound and hit it's caster. Now, the reasoning behind this is because the Elder Wand was being used against its true master. It's also the same reason why Harry didn't die when Voldemort cast it against him in the Forbidden Forest, and why his other curses would lose effect shortly after being cast. Voldemort was not the true master of the wand, and the wand would not bend to do Voldemorts will, because its true master (Harry, of course) was against everything that Voldemort was trying to accomplish.

The fight between him and Voldemort wasn't really that exciting either. Idk, I just wasn't thrilled.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 4:51:34 PM
At 7/19/2011 10:55:41 PM, MarquisX wrote:
I love the Harry Potter series. But the ending wasn't very good. The scene with Snape's memories was absolutely perfect. Alan Rickman is an amazing actor. Been a fan of his since Die Hard. But Voldemort's death was so under played. He just died. And nobody gave a Damn. They reacted to Harry as if he just came back from the store. Not like he just killed Magical Hitler. Also I wanted to see Harry use the torture curse. Show he's human. And why didn't he fix his wand?

i thought her characters were beautifully human. optimistic sorta.. seemingly optimistic anyway.. fantasy for the kids.. all in all 1984 in disguise lol.. you'd nearly consider it her justification and her product all in one story and her a beautiful communist :) she's sexy :)
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:01:55 PM
At 7/22/2011 4:51:34 PM, el-badgero wrote:

i thought her characters were beautifully human. optimistic sorta.. seemingly optimistic anyway.. fantasy for the kids.. all in all 1984 in disguise lol.. you'd nearly consider it her justification and her product all in one story and her a beautiful communist :) she's sexy :)

and i liked the break at the end from harry and his actions, from when he had two wands to one wand with no explanation of the second having gone anywhere.. and how they could transfigure things.. :)

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:04:45 PM
Me and a bunch of guys were watching this at the cinema the other day, and during the extremely quiet scene where Harry and Dumbledore are talking in the border between life and death, this guy let out a massive sneeze behind us. We were desperately trying to bury out faces in our hands and biting our tongues, but we were all sat giggling hysterically while people glared angrily at us during the entire tortuously drawn out (or so it seemed) scene.

Anyway, great movie overall, though Voldemort's death scene was a bit of a let down.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:15:30 PM
i wouldn't change a thing about it.

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:20:20 PM
At 7/22/2011 4:51:34 PM, el-badgero wrote:

the story in general optimistic sorta.. seemingly optimistic... possibly optimistic... possibly optimistic in disguise, she's a harry.. she'll do her best for her ideals anyway.. she seems fairly charitable..

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:29:50 PM
well not that she's a harry. i take that back. and i'm not a harry i swear! lol.. dunno where that came from.. can't remember.. maybe in just that it exists in all of us to some degree anyway.. with harry as an extreme.. i've met plenty of who i'd consider extremes..

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:44:09 AM
At 7/22/2011 5:15:30 PM, el-badgero wrote:

Voldemort's death was horribly anti-climactic. That's kind of what the entire series was leading up to. Refer to my first post for why it sucked.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:44:33 AM
At 7/23/2011 1:44:09 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 7/22/2011 5:15:30 PM, el-badgero wrote:

Voldemort's death was horribly anti-climactic. That's kind of what the entire series was leading up to. Refer to my first post for why it sucked.

Sorry, my second post.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 5:48:49 AM
well i liked it anyway :)

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 8:24:39 AM
My only qualm with the movie was Voldemort's death. I don't like how it happened and I don't like how nobody even acknowledged Harry after it happened.

But my favourite part was when Voldemort hugged Draco :p
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 6:10:27 PM
At 7/23/2011 3:45:37 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 7/23/2011 8:24:39 AM, nonentity wrote:

http://30.media.tumblr.com...

Haha I'll pass...

But really, I kind of love Voldemort. I clapped for Ralph Fiennes' name in the credits ^_^
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 1:06:05 AM
At 7/23/2011 6:10:27 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/23/2011 3:45:37 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 7/23/2011 8:24:39 AM, nonentity wrote:

http://30.media.tumblr.com...

Haha I'll pass...

But really, I kind of love Voldemort. I clapped for Ralph Fiennes' name in the credits ^_^

Haha! Get any evil glares? I actually saw a really funny facebook page that went something like "On a scale of 1 to Lord Voldemort, how awkward are your hugs?" Sorry Draco, heh...
But seriously, the one super annoying thing about Voldy in this movie was the fact that every other second it seemed he was screaming ("nnnyeahhhhh!!!!"). In an annoying way. Check out this trailer - he does the same annoying scream at least 5 times. It literally becomes lol worthy after a certain point. Maybe I just noticed it in the movie due to seeing these beforehand, but everytime he did it I couldn't help but laugh. Refer to 2nd vid for an abridged version.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:29:53 PM
good movie I can see the harry potter fanataics points
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 9:38:19 PM
'Twas very good. Although I will say that after Neville's speech, the movie kinda lost its mind. I mean, everybody thought I was loony cuz I laughed so hard at the part where Voldemort has Harry with his robe-tentacle things.

And Voldy's death--FAR too over played. The whole point is that his death was anticlimactic!

I'll stop before I launch into a nerd rant...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus