Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Are today's films better than yesterday ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:06:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
We have seen some outstanding movies this year and for the last few years
actually. I did not see the new Harry Potter movie as of yet. But Transformers
was a great picture. I dont really care to see anything else that is currently
up and running right now. The best of the Summer pics are due in either mid to late August, or this coming Fall. But the new Twilight movie looks pretty good, and I may have to make plans for that one. But anyway, Hollywood is about to have another record year in the filming industry. Who would have thought that they would
beat out last years box office smash hits and with a vengence, too.
Transformers has already grossed over 200 million dollars in 3 weeks. But is this just a trend ?
And are people getting caught up in the hype in the age of advertisement and media bliss ? Or maybe the movies of the 21st century are perhaps the greatest
ever made. What do you think ? Comments please.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:13:16 AM
The word 'better' is subjective, and thus cannot account for objective truths and realities...Personally, however, I would say: no.

Many of the older films were filmed with different, but unique styles: film noir with its chiascuro shadings, and mysterious stories with the notorious femme fatale and the private detective, the horror film--whether supernatural (such as the cult films of the 1980s), psychological, or even adjoining the barrier to other genres, the science-fiction films, the comedies--with softball comedies of the thirties, slapstick comedies, and so on, and even the snuff film which, as repugnant as it is, was an influential genre on many horror films of the late 60s and 70s.

Simply put, the films of the yesteryear were more diverse and encompassing; their universality, in my view, equates to superiority.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:24:55 AM
At 7/21/2011 10:13:16 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
The word 'better' is subjective, and thus cannot account for objective truths and realities...Personally, however, I would say: no.

Many of the older films were filmed with different, but unique styles: film noir with its chiascuro shadings, and mysterious stories with the notorious femme fatale and the private detective, the horror film--whether supernatural (such as the cult films of the 1980s), psychological, or even adjoining the barrier to other genres, the science-fiction films, the comedies--with softball comedies of the thirties, slapstick comedies, and so on, and even the snuff film which, as repugnant as it is, was an influential genre on many horror films of the late 60s and 70s.

Simply put, the films of the yesteryear were more diverse and encompassing; their universality, in my view, equates to superiority.

I do not think it soley exists in the mind to say that todays films are better than the ones of yesterday. Let us look at the quality and how they are judged. Lord Of The Rings was a very cinematic, theatric, dynamic, visually stimulating, well organized,
and simply stunning. The dialogue was sophisticated and witty with a dash of charm. I think that it is the best movie ever made in my opinion because it was vastly
transcendant. I cannot remember one that was so brilliantly done and
compelling such as this one. And I have seen quite a few films in my lifetime.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:26:14 AM
By the way, it won a few Academy Awards too. Not the typical format for an
action adventure film, wouldnt you say ? I think it was unique.