Total Posts:69|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Best TV show from 2000-2009

alfietheapeman
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 12:35:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is based off what I have heard from entertainment experts as well as my own opinion.

The Wire- gritty and realistic glimpses into the triumphs and travesties of modern-day urban America

Lost- imaginative storylines and intriguing plots that attracted viewers with its escapist synopsis

24- no other show on the air offered an icon of American heroism in the face of terrorism than what 24 did with Jack Bauer

Arrested Development- to create a show that can satirize so many issues and make itself timeless is one thing, but to do it in three seasons and in the midst of episode cuts deserves the highest praise

American Idol- the influence that this show has had on the music industry, reality competitions, and viewer interaction need almost no introduction
Say it from the heart.
theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 8:03:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Dexter and Top Gear have been my favorites for the past couple of years and South Park was great through the entire decade.
When Reach fell, I came.
alfietheapeman
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 10:58:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 8:03:33 AM, theitalianstallion wrote:
Dexter and Top Gear have been my favorites for the past couple of years and South Park was great through the entire decade.

Those are good shows, but I was specifying shows that premiered during 2000-2009. Oh well, I'm flexible.
If I were to include shows that primarily influenced this last decade, then I would have also put South Park, The West Wing, and The Sopranos.
Say it from the heart.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:16:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Family Guy (early stuff was good)
South Park
Futurama (started good, stayed good)

House was pretty big for awhile
Glee kinda hit strong but I think it's a back burner now
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:20:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't watch a lot of TV, but i do watch a lot on Netflix, and i just got into 24.

Completely addicted to it, and imagine watching all the episodes, all the seasons continuously. I actually watch it on my iphone while driving sometimes with my bluetooth, it's not so bad.
alfietheapeman
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:59:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 3:13:48 PM, jat93 wrote:
Scrubs, without a doubt.

Scrubs is one of my all-time TV shows, mainly because I found it at a time when I was growing out of cartoons but didn't get mainly adult sitcoms. Scrubs was goofy and heartfelt enough to ease the transition.
Say it from the heart.
alfietheapeman
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 6:04:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 3:20:01 PM, innomen wrote:
I don't watch a lot of TV, but i do watch a lot on Netflix, and i just got into 24.

Completely addicted to it, and imagine watching all the episodes, all the seasons continuously. I actually watch it on my iphone while driving sometimes with my bluetooth, it's not so bad.

24 is such an excellent show. Even as the seasons started to wane, it still shocked me enough times to keep me on the edge of my seat. I cannot think of another show that is more thrilling or action-packed.
Say it from the heart.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 12:45:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 5:59:35 PM, alfietheapeman wrote:
I found it at a time when I was growing out of cartoons

Why would you want to do that?

My personal list (in order) is:

Torchwood
Doctor Who
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Arrested Development
Sons of Anarchy
The League


If the topic included more recent shows Game of Thrones would be on top; Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and Spartacus: Blood and Sand would be in the middle; and Human Target would be at the bottom.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 1:40:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/22/2011 5:59:35 PM, alfietheapeman wrote:
At 7/22/2011 3:13:48 PM, jat93 wrote:
Scrubs, without a doubt.

Scrubs is one of my all-time TV shows, mainly because I found it at a time when I was growing out of cartoons but didn't get mainly adult sitcoms. Scrubs was goofy and heartfelt enough to ease the transition.

Scrubs is the perfect blend of laugh out loud, truly hilarious comedy, and heartfelt, intense drama, all from the same relatable characters that you learn to love and grow with as they go through life's ups and downs during their time together at Sacred Heart hospital. It's the only show that can make me cry (or say something as corny as my description, haha). It's also one of the most philosophic shows of modern TV. I strongly recommend everyone who's never seen it to watch an episode or two.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 2:54:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 12:49:37 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
I hate TV.

How can you hate a medium?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
alfietheapeman
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:01:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 7/23/2011 12:45:47 AM, Korashk wrote:
At 7/22/2011 5:59:35 PM, alfietheapeman wrote:
I found it at a time when I was growing out of cartoons

Why would you want to do that?

My personal list (in order) is:

Torchwood
Doctor Who
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Arrested Development
Sons of Anarchy
The League


If the topic included more recent shows Game of Thrones would be on top; Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena and Spartacus: Blood and Sand would be in the middle; and Human Target would be at the bottom.

I just wanted to try something more grown up. Nowadays, I like to watch some nostalgic cartoons from childhood. But I find that most of today's cartoons suck for me.
Say it from the heart.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 4:04:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Arrested Development, niff said really. But if one needs more, I suppose:

Dexter
Breaking Bad
Mad Men

.....the only other shows I think really compare. Certainly no comedy series is in the same league. Maybe Seinfeld but it started before '00.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:11:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/23/2011 12:52:07 AM, Double_R wrote:
Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles

I hated this show. I'm sad to say I watched the whole thing: I was really curious if he'd bang the android and how that would work. But seriously, that was the only draw - the weird relationship John had with the girl-bot.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:13:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My best shows list for last year:

Game of Thrones
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Modern Family
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:19:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:13:09 AM, bluesteel wrote:
My best shows list for last year:

Game of Thrones
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Modern Family

Not the Mentalist? I thought that was like your favorite show.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:19:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/23/2011 1:40:06 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 7/22/2011 5:59:35 PM, alfietheapeman wrote:
At 7/22/2011 3:13:48 PM, jat93 wrote:
Scrubs, without a doubt.

Scrubs is one of my all-time TV shows, mainly because I found it at a time when I was growing out of cartoons but didn't get mainly adult sitcoms. Scrubs was goofy and heartfelt enough to ease the transition.

Scrubs is the perfect blend of laugh out loud, truly hilarious comedy, and heartfelt, intense drama, all from the same relatable characters that you learn to love and grow with as they go through life's ups and downs during their time together at Sacred Heart hospital. It's the only show that can make me cry (or say something as corny as my description, haha). It's also one of the most philosophic shows of modern TV. I strongly recommend everyone who's never seen it to watch an episode or two.

Scrubs has an amazing premise, lovable characters, and good jokes... for two seasons. Then JD gets annoying and all the characters lose their multi-dimensionality. Todd is a perpetual dumbass and not humanized, Turk is perpetually competitive, JD/Turk are purposely homo-erotic, Dr. Kelso is a selfish dillhole, and Elliot is a hot mess. Dr. Cox is the only character that stays somewhat fresh. It's sad that what took Friends 8 seasons took Scrubs only three: making the characters into one-dimensional caricatures, reusing jokes, and recycling plot lines. Friends had three episodes max with recycled footage. Scrubs had like 10. There was a whole episode where the same things happen again and JD thinks, "wait, hasn't this happened before." Also, like Family Guy, the cutaways get dumber and dumber. This show was an enormous disappointment.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:20:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:19:03 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 6/25/2012 12:13:09 AM, bluesteel wrote:
My best shows list for last year:

Game of Thrones
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Modern Family
The Mentalist
Not the Mentalist? I thought that was like your favorite show.

Thanks for reminding me. This last season was phenomenal.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:21:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
But seriously, if you're not watching Game of Thrones right now, there's something wrong with you. Best...show...ever. And it's a cinematic masterpiece.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:22:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:13:09 AM, bluesteel wrote:
My best shows list for last year:

Game of Thrones
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Modern Family

You should try Justified. I put it in Breaking Bad territory.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:31:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mad Men
Dexter
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I really do hate television though. I can only stand comedy shows most of the time. Dramatic shows usually annoy the hell out of me and seem so corny.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:32:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:31:10 AM, Oryus wrote:
Mad Men
Dexter
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I really do hate television though. I can only stand comedy shows most of the time. Dramatic shows usually annoy the hell out of me and seem so corny.

No Breaking Bad?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:33:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My personal top 3, in no particular order:

- LOST
- The Office
- Survivor

In fact, if I could only watch three shows, those would probably be the ones.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:37:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:32:54 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 6/25/2012 12:31:10 AM, Oryus wrote:
Mad Men
Dexter
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I really do hate television though. I can only stand comedy shows most of the time. Dramatic shows usually annoy the hell out of me and seem so corny.

No Breaking Bad?

I haven't really seen much of it but from what I've seen it's a very well-done show. I just don't really get into drama unless I actually, you know... am interested in the characters. Mad Men has all these characters that symbolize different aspects of the civil rights movement. Dexter stars a serial killer you can sympathize with and has all sorts of moral issues going on...... I just can't get into a science teacher that makes meth.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:42:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:31:10 AM, Oryus wrote:
Mad Men
Dexter
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I really do hate television though. I can only stand comedy shows most of the time. Dramatic shows usually annoy the hell out of me and seem so corny.

watch...Game...of...Thrones

then...eat...your...words
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:43:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:33:44 AM, Maikuru wrote:
My personal top 3, in no particular order:

- LOST
- The Office
- Survivor

In fact, if I could only watch three shows, those would probably be the ones.

lol, you know how I feel about Lost. Final season makes me so angry...

I <3 the Office but the last season had some high points and a lot of low points.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:46:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 12:37:36 AM, Oryus wrote:


I haven't really seen much of it but from what I've seen it's a very well-done show. I just don't really get into drama unless I actually, you know... am interested in the characters. Mad Men has all these characters that symbolize different aspects of the civil rights movement. Dexter stars a serial killer you can sympathize with and has all sorts of moral issues going on...... I just can't get into a science teacher that makes meth.

You have to watch it to understand. I know people who thought it sounded like the premise of Weeds, but it's 1000 times better. Walter's character is complex; his motives for cooking meth are complicated - for his family, but for selfish reasons as well. The problems he encounters along the way are far more interesting than Weeds. And he is far more calculating than Nancy Botwin. Plus, Jesse Pinkman is a strangely lovable character, over time. Breaking Bad has comparable character development to Dexter, if not slightly better. It's tangential characters become more complex than in Dexter.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 12:51:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
oh, Wilfred is back. Episode 1 of season 2 now on Hulu. So psyched.

Stupid premise. Amazing show.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)