Jump to topic:

MTV turns 30 ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 8:15:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello ladies and gentlemen. This year we will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of MTV. It has stood the test of time and has changed how we look at the world of music. But what do you think about it now ? Is MTV too commercial ? Is it
too mainstream ? Some of you have said that MTV has sold out. They are now only about entertainment and reality tv. Not music. So what happened to the
videos ? They are online, and this probabaly has taken the novelty away from
watching music on television instead of the internet. What do you think ?
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 7:54:40 AM
MTV sold out about 15-20 years ago when they stopped showing music videos in order to start showing 24/7 streams of people dancing senselessly, like you could join a party just by turning it on.
Rob
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:07:11 AM
At 8/2/2011 7:54:40 AM, Lasagna wrote:
MTV sold out about 15-20 years ago when they stopped showing music videos in order to start showing 24/7 streams of people dancing senselessly, like you could join a party just by turning it on.

I don't remember shows about people dancing and whatnot. Originally MTV was supposed to play music videos 24/7, but then they expanded to create music-related tv shows and concepts such as "Unplugged." Somewhere in the mid 90s I believe is when they focus seemed to shift away from music only marketing. These days people might wonder what Jersey Shore, The Real World, True Life, 16 and Pregnant, Teen Mom, Made, Road Rules, and a zillion other shows have to do with music, but I'm pretty sure MTV no longer stands for music television and is now simply MTV. Apparently they currently only play 3 hours of music videos per day, down from 10 in 2010 and 24 from the 80s.

Gay fun fact of the day: In 2010, a study by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation found that on MTV, of the 207.5 hours of prime time programming, 42% included content reflecting the lives of gay, bisexual and transgendered people. This was the highest in the industry and the highest percentage ever. Thanks MTV :)
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:34:12 AM
In the early-mid 90s, I used to go over my friend's house and he'd always have MTV going in the background and it would always seem to be this show where it was some club or beach scene and people were dancing everywhere endlessly. It was the most horrible waste of programming I've ever seen.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:38:59 AM
MTV died around the year 2000. This was when the paradigm shift happened which lead us to other events such as 9/11 and The Age Of Obama. Music videos use to be a novelty when it was shown in moderation and not being homogenized on the internet. Youtube gives us the freedom and liberty of watching a video when and wherever we want. But at the same time, it takes away from the mystery and novelty of it all due to overexposure.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 10:29:42 AM
At 8/2/2011 9:43:17 AM, Lasagna wrote:
The paradigm shift was in 1990, not 2000. That's when you had to tune in at a special time just to hear music.

The paradigm shift was not in 1990. Because during the resurgence of pop music and hip hop, the time slots for video programs was increased dramatically.
Even the ill fated Yo MTV Raps came back on the air briefly. So the video era came back between '96 and '00. Then it was on the decline during the early 2000's due to internet downloading and NAPSTER. Things have changed.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 10:34:36 AM
In '97 I moved to WI and pretty much never watched MTV again so I wouldn't know about it's more recent history. But that sounds logical.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 10:38:32 AM
At 8/2/2011 10:34:36 AM, Lasagna wrote:
In '97 I moved to WI and pretty much never watched MTV again so I wouldn't know about it's more recent history. But that sounds logical.

Lasagna. Do you not remember when Spears, Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, O Town, and all of those teeny pop groups were all out ? The sensationalism behind those boy bands was ridiculous ! And I havent even talked about the last breath of hip hop yet. You had Biggie, Tupac, Jay Z, Nas, DMX, Punisher, Snoop, and more getting some serious airplay on MTV and at time even more than BET.
I remember it very well because we would watch this stuff all day long.
Those were the days.
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 9:22:00 AM
One of the only good things about MTV was Daria
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman