Best horror movie ever made ?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 10:14:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/8/2011 9:58:18 AM, inferno wrote:
The exorcist. Can you name one better than that ? I doubt it.

There are several horror movies that are superior to The Exorcist: 'Don't Look Now', Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, and so on...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 10:42:03 AM
At 8/8/2011 10:14:31 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

There are several horror movies that are superior to The Exorcist: 'Don't Look Now', Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, and so on...

Man Is Good. Dont forget that the Exorcist has about 5 parts. All of them are great. Noone comes close.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 10:43:07 AM
At 8/8/2011 10:42:03 AM, inferno wrote:

Man Is Good. Dont forget that the Exorcist has about 5 parts. All of them are great. Noone comes close.

You named 'The Exorcist', not the series or the sequels...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 10:48:40 AM
At 8/8/2011 10:43:07 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Man Is Good. It doesnt matter. When I say the name Exorcist, it includes all of them. Sequels count here.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 10:51:48 AM
At 8/8/2011 10:48:40 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/8/2011 10:43:07 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Man Is Good. It doesnt matter. When I say the name Exorcist, it includes all of them. Sequels count here.

Either way, they don't necessarily surpass the horror films that I have listed.

Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:15:56 AM
Yeah,the Excorcist is good although a bid outdated with the special effects.

Silence of the Lambs is another good one although its not really scary.

Insidious is by far the scariest movie i've ever seen. Way scarier than The Excorcist although some similar themes are present.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:34:33 AM
At 8/8/2011 11:15:56 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Yeah,the Excorcist is good although a bid outdated with the special effects.

Silence of the Lambs is another good one although its not really scary.

Insidious is by far the scariest movie i've ever seen. Way scarier than The Excorcist although some similar themes are present.

I heard that movie as scary. I am going to check it out sometime and when people are around. I never watch scary movies by myself or in the dark of night.
Most of them are during the daylight hours, especially on Halloween.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 2:06:16 PM
The Birds, or maybe Psycho. I like how it's not all blood and guts flying everywhere, but it's still a horror movie. I don't see much of that in more recent movies.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 2:12:54 PM
At 8/8/2011 2:06:16 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
The Birds, or maybe Psycho. I like how it's not all blood and guts flying everywhere, but it's still a horror movie. I don't see much of that in more recent movies.

Now this young lady is smart. Psycho was a classic and so was that movie,
The Birds. That era of movies was creative and more cinematic.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 2:19:48 PM
THE SHINING to me was one of the real greats.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 2:36:14 PM
I haven't seen most classic horror movies, but of the ones have seen, Paranormal Activity is easily the scariest movie I have ever watched. I never get scared in movies, but I was terrified watching this thing. It didnt help that I was watching it alone at 11 o'clock at night.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 2:57:50 PM
At 8/8/2011 2:36:14 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I haven't seen most classic horror movies, but of the ones have seen, Paranormal Activity is easily the scariest movie I have ever watched. I never get scared in movies, but I was terrified watching this thing. It didnt help that I was watching it alone at 11 o'clock at night.

Hi Blackvoid, I know i'm promoting here lol, but its worth it:

paranormal activity was pretty good. It has that anticipation/ on the edge of the seats the whole time and a feeling of wanting more at the end. The director and writer from that movie also made Insidious. Same concept of demons overtaking someone, but this time it is full in your face. 10x more scary than paranormal activities.

I couldn't help but laugh through most of The Birds. I wonder what could have happened if Hitchcock had the technology of today. It might not have worked because he has a certain refined, simply moody style.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 3:23:53 PM
At 8/8/2011 2:57:50 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I couldn't help but laugh through most of The Birds.

It was Jaws that had me laughing. I know it was meant to be scary, but that was hilarious.
I wonder what could have happened if Hitchcock had the technology of today. It might not have worked because he has a certain refined, simply moody style.

I think the limited technology of the time really worked in his favor. Or maybe it's just hard for me to imagine it any other way.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 3:30:37 PM
Paranormal was scary so I heard. I have yet to see that one myself.
But there is nothing to moves me more, or sends chills up my spine, than some young Woman who is possessed by the devil. That is just creepy.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 3:38:34 PM
Andromeda, I agree. His being ahead of the times is what made it work.

Inferno, ever watched the excorcism of emily rose?

Anything having to do with spirits is the most scary for me. Murderers, animals, etc. just don't cut it. The fear of the unknown is powerful.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 3:42:35 PM
At 8/8/2011 3:38:34 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Andromeda, I agree. His being ahead of the times is what made it work.

Inferno, ever watched the excorcism of emily rose?

Anything having to do with spirits is the most scary for me. Murderers, animals, etc. just don't cut it. The fear of the unknown is powerful.

Yes, I saw the "Exorcism of Emily Rose". I thought that it was deep and introspective. It may have been more mature than the typical Exorcist film, but it was thought provoking and unfolding. It reminded me of Exorcist III, the one with George Scott. It had its slow moments, but it really got into your soul when the special effects took place as well as the climax of the story.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2011 11:19:42 PM
At 8/8/2011 3:30:37 PM, inferno wrote:
Paranormal was scary so I heard. I have yet to see that one myself.
But there is nothing to moves me more, or sends chills up my spine, than some young Woman who is possessed by the devil. That is just creepy.

http://www.putlocker.com...

This is a direct link to PA. Get a laptop, make sure you will be alone for a couple hours. Watch late at night with headphones. It is a terrifying experience.

I used to like the Devil posession movies, but it kind of got old after awhile.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 8:36:05 AM
What about Terence Fisher's 'The Devil Rides Out' or any of the old Hammer horror movies of the late 50s to early seventies?

izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2011 6:34:30 PM
Terror House, Ghost House, Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original), Friday the 13th part 6, are all near the top for me.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 1:27:11 PM

A Tale of Two Sisters.

Also, the Sixth Sense. That's real horror. You are dead, and you don't know it! What the heck are you going to do now?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 3:29:28 PM
The Shining.
I also really really liked Shutter Island and it scared the crap out of me but it's more of a psychological thriller. Then again, so is The Shining. Those mind-f*cking psychological thrillers are far and beyond superior to all the mindless blood and gore and cheap "boo, I scared you!" kind of "horror" you see in films today.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 8:10:02 PM
At 8/27/2011 3:29:28 PM, jat93 wrote:
The Shining.
I also really really liked Shutter Island and it scared the crap out of me but it's more of a psychological thriller. Then again, so is The Shining. Those mind-f*cking psychological thrillers are far and beyond superior to all the mindless blood and gore and cheap "boo, I scared you!" kind of "horror" you see in films today.

I agree. For me, you know when you've seen a good horror movie when it scares you more after the fact than when you're watching.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus