Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 2:10:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is anyone here planning to buy this game?

For me, this is definitely a must have and I'm really not even much of a gamer. I buy maybe 1 Xbox game a year. 5 years ago I bought Oblivion and certainly enjoyed the game, but this new Skyrim looks like it's going to blow it out of the water.

First of all the graphics are actually going to be impressive this time around (Oblivion had weak graphics, even for it's time) and more detailed and realistic environments with a world filled with all kinds of animals including mammoths, sabre tooth cats, foxes, fish, birds, wolves, and multiple races of dragons that play a major role in the game. Dragons are completely unscripted and roam the world freely and interact with cities and the wilderness. You can even summon dragons to aid you.

In addition, there have been many new features added such as the ability to duel wield weapons and spells. You can have use both hands as spells together to create one powerful spell and you can even duel wield staffs.

A new ability in this game is called "dragon shouts" in which you use the language of dragons to perform attacks and spells like breathing fire breath, teleportation, slow motion fighting, and more.

There's also a working economy in the game. You can fvck up the economies of the various towns if you wish, but it might not be to your benefit because if you destroy a wood mill, the production of arrows will be affected.

This game is so detailed and filled with awesome stuff, you can even go into a tavern, pay a musician and have him sing, til all the bar patrons get merry, get super drunk and pass out, thus allowing you to pick pocket them.

Not to mention, this game will be 16 sqmi, plus there's 120 full scale dungeons adding even more game area to roam around in. Overall it's just massive.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 2:29:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Btw, it comes out November, 11 (11/11/11).
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 3:26:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hmmmm... I might have to. I've played both Morrowind and Oblivion. Personally, graphics are not that important to me, as I'm much more into playability and story. Oblivion had a great story and the ending battle throughout the city was awesome.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 3:27:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
omg yes I am so excited for this! I still haven't finished Oblivion. I just keep restarting my characters and going around exploring.

Bethesda does a wonderful job at creating a feel for the world, and they seem to know what the customers want to make the games that much better.

I like how they are integrating the dragon themes (because of Game of Thrones popularity right now) and wouldn't it be awesome if we got to fly them in the game?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 3:34:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/9/2011 3:27:46 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
omg yes I am so excited for this! I still haven't finished Oblivion. I just keep restarting my characters and going around exploring.

Bethesda does a wonderful job at creating a feel for the world, and they seem to know what the customers want to make the games that much better.

I like how they are integrating the dragon themes (because of Game of Thrones popularity right now) and wouldn't it be awesome if we got to fly them in the game?

You haven't completed Oblivion? Well, great game, great ending.

I remember the first time I went through one of the gates (can't remember what they were called). It was late at night, I didn't know what it was, but the way they had that town under attack with people that needed to be resued was awesome. My heart was pounding.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 3:43:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/9/2011 3:34:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/9/2011 3:27:46 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
omg yes I am so excited for this! I still haven't finished Oblivion. I just keep restarting my characters and going around exploring.

Bethesda does a wonderful job at creating a feel for the world, and they seem to know what the customers want to make the games that much better.

I like how they are integrating the dragon themes (because of Game of Thrones popularity right now) and wouldn't it be awesome if we got to fly them in the game?

You haven't completed Oblivion? Well, great game, great ending.

I remember the first time I went through one of the gates (can't remember what they were called). It was late at night, I didn't know what it was, but the way they had that town under attack with people that needed to be resued was awesome. My heart was pounding.

i know, i know its terrible but... it's so easy to get sidetracked in that game. i've literally spent hours just messing around without getting anything accomplished. But thats part of the appeal (compared to the more typical rpg's that i like)

One time i got over level 20 without even completing the first quest of the main story line. (basically just the part where you go talk to the guy and he gives you a horse.) Then I prob started over because i wanted to tweak my stats. But i hope to finish it one day when i have more time!

dude, the gates parts are so haunting.

Just talking about it makes me want to go play. Breton, ftw.

The new one will be awesome.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 3:57:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/9/2011 3:43:40 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 8/9/2011 3:34:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/9/2011 3:27:46 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
omg yes I am so excited for this! I still haven't finished Oblivion. I just keep restarting my characters and going around exploring.

Bethesda does a wonderful job at creating a feel for the world, and they seem to know what the customers want to make the games that much better.

I like how they are integrating the dragon themes (because of Game of Thrones popularity right now) and wouldn't it be awesome if we got to fly them in the game?

You haven't completed Oblivion? Well, great game, great ending.

I remember the first time I went through one of the gates (can't remember what they were called). It was late at night, I didn't know what it was, but the way they had that town under attack with people that needed to be resued was awesome. My heart was pounding.

i know, i know its terrible but... it's so easy to get sidetracked in that game. i've literally spent hours just messing around without getting anything accomplished. But thats part of the appeal (compared to the more typical rpg's that i like)

One time i got over level 20 without even completing the first quest of the main story line. (basically just the part where you go talk to the guy and he gives you a horse.) Then I prob started over because i wanted to tweak my stats. But i hope to finish it one day when i have more time!

dude, the gates parts are so haunting.

Just talking about it makes me want to go play. Breton, ftw.

The new one will be awesome.

The only thing I really wish would be improved would be the guilds' quests. I felt that they were very mono-directional and once you were done, you were done, nothing special to be had. I would be awesome if they included some kind of guild wars with 20 on 20 battles or something (of course, you would be limited to only progressing that far with one guild). And that had generic side quests and those guild battles, so that you could do them over and over, and they wouldn't simply end (like every week game time, you could participate in a new guild battle).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 4:29:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
^^^^
20 on 20 battles would be pretty awesome, hopefully that's possiible. I have heard some say that even in Oblivion you can befriend 5 guys and have them follow you around everywhere and help fight. I'd imagine this will still be in the game. And if you want an instantly big battle, just attack a few townspeople or a guard and you'll get a whole bunch of attackers.

Supposedly in Skyrim, you can get married which brings the possiblity that your wife can become a companion that follows you around and assists you.

Speaking of which, children have been added to the game, a rarity in videogames for obvious reasons (children in violent video games allows for attacking and killing children to take place which would make a game almost certainly rated AO (Adults Only) which would detract from sales.) It's likely that the children will not be killable, but I'm sure you could beat the crap out of them anyways, lol.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 4:41:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/9/2011 4:29:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
^^^^
20 on 20 battles would be pretty awesome, hopefully that's possiible. I have heard some say that even in Oblivion you can befriend 5 guys and have them follow you around everywhere and help fight. I'd imagine this will still be in the game. And if you want an instantly big battle, just attack a few townspeople or a guard and you'll get a whole bunch of attackers.

Supposedly in Skyrim, you can get married which brings the possiblity that your wife can become a companion that follows you around and nags at you.

Corrected, lol.


Speaking of which, children have been added to the game, a rarity in videogames for obvious reasons (children in violent video games allows for attacking and killing children to take place which would make a game almost certainly rated AO (Adults Only) which would detract from sales.) It's likely that the children will not be killable, but I'm sure you could beat the crap out of them anyways, lol.

They'll be like the chickens in the Zelda games...OMG, THAT WOULD BE EPIC!!!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 5:11:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/9/2011 4:41:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
They'll be like the chickens in the Zelda games...OMG, THAT WOULD BE EPIC!!!

You'll be attacked by a giant swarm of children randomly flying from every direction until you run out of hearts?
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 5:15:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The game I'm undecided on is Deux Ex Revolution. The trailers for it are absolutely awesome, but I haven't played the original and I don't know if it'll be any good.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 5:23:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/9/2011 5:11:49 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 8/9/2011 4:41:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
They'll be like the chickens in the Zelda games...OMG, THAT WOULD BE EPIC!!!

You'll be attacked by a giant swarm of children randomly flying from every direction until you run out of hearts?

Or Child Services Agents.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"