Jump to topic:

Battlestar Galactica symbolism

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:32:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is anyone a fan of BSG, the newer version? I'm rewatching it, and am a big fan of the series, but there are a lot of messages that seem to cross my mind when watching the show. If no one here is a fan, i won't continue the thread, but to me there were some interesting concepts subtly proposed. Polytheism to the humans, and monotheism to the Cylons, ancient versus the new. At what point is an entity not a thing and deserving of recognition from our humanity.

Probably not the best format for discussing something like this, but i have yet to run into a fellow BSG fan.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:55:51 PM
At 8/29/2011 4:37:36 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'm so old I remember the original.

I do too, and loved it a lot when i was a kid, but the new one poses a lot of interesting questions, and symbolism.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 4:58:37 PM
Big BSG fan (new series) here. yeah, there was a ton of religious symbolism. The producer was a mormon, and there are LOTS of mormon references all over BSG.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 5:02:37 PM
At 8/29/2011 4:58:37 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Big BSG fan (new series) here. yeah, there was a ton of religious symbolism. The producer was a mormon, and there are LOTS of mormon references all over BSG.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Oh jeeze, kind of ruined it for me.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 5:19:25 PM
There are also Buddhism/Hindu references - the cylons 'reincarnate' into new bodies. But yeah, if you're not a fan of Mormanism it can be a bit of a downer once you realise how much morman stuff is in there.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 5:28:49 PM
At 8/29/2011 5:19:25 PM, Kinesis wrote:
There are also Buddhism/Hindu references - the cylons 'reincarnate' into new bodies. But yeah, if you're not a fan of Mormanism it can be a bit of a downer once you realise how much morman stuff is in there.

I never would have guessed mormonism in a million years. Still, it does make me think in terms of ancient poly-theism, the characteristics of those who lived with that, versus monotheistic humanity, and the differing values, but who holds them.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 4:32:01 AM
At 9/1/2011 6:38:35 AM, andrea01 wrote:
Yes i am, This is my favorite show i watched it from its very first episode.

I think it's a remarkable show compared with most of the stuff that's on television these days. Regardless of Kinesis' information, which was a total buzz kill, any show that makes me ponder some of the allegorical insinuations as BSG does deserves great merit. From the individual stregnths and foibles of each character, to the greater implications of the entire story. The question of abortion was really intriguing given the conflicting values of the survival of the human race, or the individual rights of the mother. Or the value of life in general, and the technological potential of man creating artificial life, and at what point is it a "toaster" and at what point is it life, meanwhile both sides delegitmizing the the race of the other.

The whole show is packed with intriguing questions of morality, and scenarios of human nature up against theological values.

Aside from that, the special effects are good, the acting is great, the story is compelling and quick moving.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 1:30:09 PM
The coolest symbolism in BSG is their Christ analogy.

It's somewhat subtle, but notice what Baltar says when he starts preaching a religious profit.

What's his main message? "You are fine just the way you are."

What was Jesus' message? "You are cursed with original sin."

Baltar is a mirror reflection of Christianity's take on original sin. He is the anti-Christ while still forming a message that sounds pleasing to the ear.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 2:46:47 AM
At 9/2/2011 1:30:09 PM, Wnope wrote:
The coolest symbolism in BSG is their Christ analogy.

It's somewhat subtle, but notice what Baltar says when he starts preaching a religious profit.

What's his main message? "You are fine just the way you are."

What was Jesus' message? "You are cursed with original sin."

Baltar is a mirror reflection of Christianity's take on original sin. He is the anti-Christ while still forming a message that sounds pleasing to the ear.

How about Adama going into the Cylon zone with a stealth ship provoking the whole war. What sort of symbolism there? Garden of eden maybe?

The larger connection between the old gods and the one true God is really fascinating to me as well. Bringing it down the individual some of the characters like boomer/sharon, Starbuck, Colonel Tye, - all actually seem allegorical to something - thing is, there's so much it's hard to get one clear comparison.