Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Video Game Ratings

InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:04:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is just something I was pondering. Each video game has a rating, but should they actually be enforced? I know some people get bothered by young children playing games like Grand heft Auto, but is it really that big of a deal? If children are taught the differences between fantasy violence and real life violence then I don't really see what the big deal is.

So yea, I think they're mostly just guidelines more than anything and it should be up to the individual parent to judge whether their child is mature enough to play specific video games. Thoughts?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:19:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes they should be there as warning, but not restrictions. I've never had trouble buying an 18+ game in any kind of way, yet the signs are there.

The parents should guide their children before the government steps in with what it thinks is best.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:23:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/4/2011 4:19:29 PM, Mirza wrote:
Yes they should be there as warning, but not restrictions. I've never had trouble buying an 18+ game in any kind of way, yet the signs are there.

The parents should guide their children before the government steps in with what it thinks is best.

I definitely agree. sure, my parents didn't let me play any 18+ games when I was growing up, but that was their decision to make as my parents.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:27:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I really feel that ratings and restrictions are unnecessary and harmful to artistic expression. To make it so that, say, a 13 year old can't buy a game because a board said it was inappropriate for his age is highly unfair, and, when you come right down to it, very arrogant of them to assume they know what is/isn't okay. I wouldn't mind the phrase-based descriptions (Blood and Gore, Strong Violence, etc.) but there should be no restrictions on who can buy games (the same applies to ALL entertainment with me--movies, books, etc).

I'm 15, and my parents don't mind me playing "M" games, because I have the maturity to not go around murdering people in real life. So, in short: if you don't want your kid to be influenced deeply by violent games, either a) restrict his purchases YOURSELF, or b) teach him the difference between reality and fiction.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MarquisX
Posts: 925
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:43:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've let seven years olds play grand theft auto IV. Suprise Suprise, she's not a murderer or violent in any way. Its up to the parents or older siblings in my case, to teach what's real and what isn't. But I do believe the ratings should stay. Some parts of video games are not for children. I wouldn't let that 7 year old play Gears.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:48:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have no problem with the packaging describing what sort of content (violence, blood, etc.) is in the game. It's when my sister (who is 14) isn't allowed to buy a game that is rated M that bothers me. I always buy them for her, because I don't think restricting content based on age is a good idea. Maturity isn't based on age, I've known thirty-somethings that act like children and children that act like adults. Decisions on what is acceptable should be made by people that actually know the person that will be playing the game.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:52:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/4/2011 4:48:13 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I have no problem with the packaging describing what sort of content (violence, blood, etc.) is in the game. It's when my sister (who is 14) isn't allowed to buy a game that is rated M that bothers me. I always buy them for her, because I don't think restricting content based on age is a good idea. Maturity isn't based on age, I've known thirty-somethings that act like children and children that act like adults. Decisions on what is acceptable should be made by people that actually know the person that will be playing the game.

Well I don't think anybody here is advocating removing the ratings as they do help to give an idea of what kind of content will be in the game. It helps so people can make educated decisions about whether they want their child playing it.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:54:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/4/2011 4:52:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/4/2011 4:48:13 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I have no problem with the packaging describing what sort of content (violence, blood, etc.) is in the game. It's when my sister (who is 14) isn't allowed to buy a game that is rated M that bothers me. I always buy them for her, because I don't think restricting content based on age is a good idea. Maturity isn't based on age, I've known thirty-somethings that act like children and children that act like adults. Decisions on what is acceptable should be made by people that actually know the person that will be playing the game.

Well I don't think anybody here is advocating removing the ratings as they do help to give an idea of what kind of content will be in the game. It helps so people can make educated decisions about whether they want their child playing it.

Exactly, the ratings and descriptions are helpful to have. It's restrictions that bother me, I should have been more clear.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:55:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/4/2011 4:54:15 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Exactly, the ratings and descriptions are helpful to have. It's restrictions that bother me, I should have been more clear.

I'm pretty sure that here in Canada you have to be 17 or older to purchase a "M" rated game. I could be wrong though.
Rockylightning
Posts: 2,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:51:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/4/2011 4:55:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/4/2011 4:54:15 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Exactly, the ratings and descriptions are helpful to have. It's restrictions that bother me, I should have been more clear.

I'm pretty sure that here in Canada you have to be 17 or older to purchase a "M" rated game. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, you have to be 17 and older to purchase an M game, but not to play it. I also think you have to be 13 and over to purchase a T game.