Jump to topic:

you're getting old- south park

kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:07:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
idk if you guys watch south park like i do, but if you have seen the latest two episodes how do you feel about stans cynical attitude?

im disturbed to say i am relating to his attitude to a higher level than i'd like. i just find it harder and harder to find things that bring me joy. or less joy in the things that did bring me joy.

tv and movies are always saying something stupid or something i don't think is stupid but is said in a stupid tone.

alcohol is entertaining for a few hours but then i get extra depressed for a few hours afterward. ive only tried pot once and it heightend my already high anxiety. i might be trying it again later maybe a few months from now when me and my friend go to vegas. this guy i work worth is adamant about me trying it more, he says i would make a good pothead once i got used to it.

food isn't as delicious as it used to be.

college has drained my love of science, specifically biology. not to mention the feeling of deadend either not going to have a job or have a boring one and be poor, has been killing my motivation. i just found out the two classes i were taking this sem are unpassable because i havent done enough lab write ups in one and missed 3 quizzes in a row in the other. (JC not uni)

my morning one hour commute to school with a nice caramel flavored coffee used to be one of my favorite parts of the day, even that isn't as enjoyable. the radio is too repetitive.

WoW, ciV, other games aren't as entertaining, i remember the rush and excitement i got from the big games in my life. the earliest and most memorable was a very special birthday where i got a gameboy color and pokemon blue. that game had a huge impact on me and was tons of fun. i think the next one was morrowind, and then Kotor, and then WoW. dont really play any of them anymore and havent found a replacement that offers that original excitement and suspense i got from those ones.

i guess thats enough ranting

TL:DR- do you still get the same excitement out of life and activites or are you getting a little cynical/bored? if the former, how do you do it?
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:09:30 AM
maybe this should have went in personal, i didnt plan on analyzing my cynicism that much when i first clicked add topic, just wanted to see if you guys watched SP and if you like the last two episodes.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:16:36 AM
Either everything is awesome, or nothing is.

Or there is the third option, which is that these are subjective assessments that have no bearing on the way actuality is. You are more in control of these perceptions than you may realize.

Judge rightly, and the world becomes a big playground.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:50:55 AM
i'm trying and i do have moments of uninhibited glee, but it seems that the ennui and existentinal nihilism are becoming a bigger part of my personality. how do you go about life cosmic? what do you do and do you like doing it?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:59:50 AM
At 10/6/2011 3:50:55 AM, kogline wrote:
i'm trying and i do have moments of uninhibited glee, but it seems that the ennui and existentinal nihilism are becoming a bigger part of my personality. how do you go about life cosmic? what do you do and do you like doing it?

I stopped giving a fvck, and stopped taking myself so seriously.

Everything got better.

If having a meaningless life is getting you down, it is because you care that you have a meaningless life, not because meaninglessness is inherently depressing.

These are ego problems.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 4:23:45 AM
when i went through my first nihilistic phase ( around the time i first started coming here, which seemed to coincide with a lot of ppl on this site also were getting into it. the purpose of this account was actually to respond to some craziness annhasle was spewing lol) i felt very liberated and was probably the happiest i had been in life, you know with exceptions like starting the epic adventure of pokemon blue :).
but for the last few months idk, im just feel unsatisfied. ive come to terms with meaninglessness i dont think thats what is bothering me.

perhaps i do need to get back to giving less of a fvck. my downslide does correlate with an increase in utilitarian desire to make everyone happy, which wasnt present the first time around. you have to be a little sociopathic to be happy in this world.

idk, we'll see how things turn out i guess.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 12:17:58 PM
Realize that the nihilistic philosophy is incomplete and doesn't take into account the subjective experience.

Make meaning, and keep an ironic distance from it, knowing full well that it is a fabrication. Everything is art. Treat everything as art.

This isn't going to make you happy though. If you want to be happy, you have to get to the root of your unhappiness, and it always is wanting something you don't/can't have, and letting it effect your mood.

Never want something to the point to where it effects your mood. If you already accept a life without meaning, and you already accept that all is vain, you are heading in the right direction. If you ever start taking things too seriously, think for a second and remember that it doesn't really matter anyway.

The mind is very powerful, and knowing something is often times all you need in order to exercise a greater control over it. You can conquer mental illness with the right knowledge. But it isn't enough to know, you actually have to believe it. If you truly believe in the right knowledge, it will work. If you have doubts, it might take some practice in order to build the faith up to be more effective.

You are your own head doctor, and you are far more capable of curing yourself than what many deniers would like to believe. They only deny because they haven't done it, and don't know any better. The people who dismiss something as a chemical imbalance that can only be fixed with drugs are not aware of the other initial conditions in the chaotic system that happen to be the cause of these chemical imbalances.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 8:44:22 PM
If you say you've come to terms with the meaninglessness of life, and you are still depressed, you haven't come to terms with it.

If you let go of your morals, everything becomes funny.

I stopped giving a f*ck around a year ago, went into a stage, then decided that it was in my best interest to try in life, so I could get what I want. Yeah, I'm a sucker for capitalistic desires. So what? I wanna enjoy my life. Living the life of a mystic isn't my idea of fun.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 3:24:17 PM
I spent a good chunk of my life living with the thoughts of 'I don't care' and 'It doesn't matter'. To me there really was no real reason why i should live since it was just the fulfillment of a biological need and the expectations imposed by my social sphere. There were some pretty low points during that time, and I was also growing in my tates and attitudes. Having fun didn't necessarily bring me happiness, and the things that once gave me joy, and fun no longer could. There then came a fork in the road, where i was to find purpose or sink. My path seemed to require a spiritual angle, and it started out in a very weak and troubled, i then spent the last eleven years trying to understand the nature of happiness and continue to understand who i am, my purpose, and how I achieve happiness.

Prior to looking at things differently i was diagnosed as 'depressed' and given meds which only put 40lbs of weight on me. I long since gave up the meds, and lost the weight. I wasn't depressed so much as i had bad values that created my unhappiness.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 7:49:02 AM
I feel sorry for you. Me. I'm happy. Like truly happy. And I really shouldn't be. I'm a single teenage Father. But I find myself at a stage where I'm trying new things and its amazing. Move out of your comfort zone.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive