Jump to topic:

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 3:29:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Has anyone played this yet? I've been playing nonstop for the past couple days and I'll tell ya, this is one of the most fun games I've ever played in the past few years. It smashes Oblivion.

Not really much else to be said.

For those who have it, how far are you and have you done mostly side quests or treaded the main quest?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:19:25 PM
I haven't gotten it yet but i'd like to. what has changed from oblivion?

the thing about this series is it's like crack. i got addicted to it and then burnt myself out before getting very far in the actual story. i'm worried it will be too similar to oblivion and i'll get burnt out even quicker this time.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:40:48 PM
At 11/14/2011 4:19:25 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I haven't gotten it yet but i'd like to. what has changed from oblivion?

the thing about this series is it's like crack. i got addicted to it and then burnt myself out before getting very far in the actual story. i'm worried it will be too similar to oblivion and i'll get burnt out even quicker this time.

This ones nothing like Oblivion I can assure you that. They didn't just create an updated rehashed version of Oblivion, it's like a completely new game for a next gen platform.

Just check the reviews. Definitely not similar to Oblivion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:48:04 PM
It's a massive improvement on Oblivion (and Oblivion wasn't bad by any means). I've played about 8 hours into the game so far and it's awesome. The dragons are a much, much more fun random encounter device than the gates of Oblivion, the graphics are great, the magic system is way more flexible and sensible, the combat system is better and the music is gorgeous.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:54:04 PM
It's very good. I'm not sure if Oblivion did this, but I love how the spells make your hands glow and stuff. Little things.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 10:46:33 AM
At 11/15/2011 10:21:03 AM, Kinesis wrote:
One annoyance though: the menu system is really bad.

http://img3.imageshack.us...

Are you playing it on the PC? Everything about the menu system seems designed for a console controller, which might also explain why they have a "Use Xbox 360 Controller" option. I think they said it's a port too.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 10:56:07 AM
Are you playing it on the PC? Everything about the menu system seems designed for a console controller, which might also explain why they have a "Use Xbox 360 Controller" option. I think they said it's a port too.

Yeah, I think that's the reason. I'm sure someone will invent a mod to fix it in due time.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 11:57:55 AM
I'll probably buy this game after I beat Dark Souls. Actually, I'll probably buy Uncharted 3 and then Skyrim - or maybe Arkham Asylum. It looks great though, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to Dark Souls.

I thought Red Dead was a little overrated so after that I haven't been too excited for quest-based games. I don't care about story much.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:18:38 PM

Everything in this JPEG is trash. Not a single thing noted here was an actual annoyance or issue during gameplay. It was pointing out things I didn't even notice, nor give to damns about, nor be considered a problem.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:25:15 PM
At 11/15/2011 10:46:33 AM, Rusty wrote:

I'm playing on PC and all you have to do is go to Gamestop and by the Gamestop brand wired 360 controller and plug it in the PC. That's what I did and it works great. My friends playing with keyboard and mouse and he's having no problems though.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 7:42:59 PM
At 11/15/2011 1:25:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/15/2011 10:46:33 AM, Rusty wrote:

I'm playing on PC and all you have to do is go to Gamestop and by the Gamestop brand wired 360 controller and plug it in the PC. That's what I did and it works great. My friends playing with keyboard and mouse and he's having no problems though.

Yeah, it's not a problem. There are bound to be mods at any rate to fix up whatever issues people have (also very handy for gamebreaking bugs if any are around). I was just noting how prominent the controller based scheme seems to be.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 12:59:32 AM
I got it the day after it came out and I have to say it is he best video game I have ever played. However, I'm new to the Elder Scrolls series so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but wow I know I have been missing out! I heard it's better than the other ES games though so I think the other games would seem like a disappointment to me since I would be expecting Skyrim standards. So yea, I'm scared to play them, lol.
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:59:52 AM
lvl 25 or 26 mage. i mainly use destruction, alchemy, archery/sneak, enchanting. ive started getting into conjuration after seeing how cool the frost atronachs are.

i never played oblivion but i looved morrowind. i really like spellmaking/enchanting especially after finding azuras star in morrowing- so one of the most exciting things that happened to me in this game was this- i just got done with all the college of winter hold quests and opened up the map, picked a random point and decided to start walking there to explore. out of nowhere this huge statue of a daedric princess appears and like a second later im like OH SNAP i know who that is. sure enough the first thing i come across on my first non quest exploration is the shrine of azura. im still excited and it happened last night.

i use the archery/sneak to make gold and apply weakness to magic posions to my opponents by the way.

so, what char do you play? and damn i miss spell making :.(
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 7:47:25 PM
Level 17 Warrior with near-equivalent archery skills, just starting to level up magics. Haven't put anything into magicka though, so I run out really quickly.

I've done tons and yet I've barely touched the world. I feel like I could start at any given place, pick a direction and walk, and see tons. Then go back to that same place, adjust my direction by one degree, and still see tons that's completely different to the tons I saw before.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 4:41:33 PM
I'm a lvl 28 High Elf with Nightingale Armor and Morokai Mask. I specialize in dual-wielding combat, conjuration, sneaking, and archery.

I've done missions for the Thieves Guild, Nightingales, Stormcloaks, College of Winterhold, and the Companions.

I've got an enchanted mace from an Oblivion God. I've got a Nightingale Sword from the Knocturnal God. I have an unbreakable lockpick, a wardog, anr multiple enchanted weapons. I've killed about 20 dragons, 20 giants, and several trolls, frost trolls, and other creatures.

The Dark Brotherhood has sent 3 Assassins to kill me, but they all failed, though I do plan to join the Dark Brotherhood when the opportunity presents itself.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 4:50:59 PM
Funny story: I rescued some f@g who had to follow me so I could bring him home, and on the way we passed a stream. This dumbass stood near the creak and began arguing with a fvcking fish in the water. He proceeded to shout at the fish "Im not scared of you!" "You will never defeat me!" "You will taste blood!" and walked into the water, spent 2 minutes chasing the fish and he sucked so bad, my companion just shot the fish with an arrow in one hit.

Other funny moments: I killed a Mammoth on a mountain and watched his body flop down the mountain.

I got into a battle with a dragon, a giant, and two Mammoths, and my little dog Sparky thought he could take them all on and was repeatedly knocked out, only to get back up and fight every time he got knocked out.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 4:56:45 PM
first encounter with a giant, i thought he might be friendly cause he didnt attack until i got right on him. we were on a valley floor near a pretty big mountain, he hit me with his club and my body landed on top of that mountain.

also when i entered a cave i realized i didnt have my soul trap bow, so i went to my archmage loft in winterhold and made one, went back to the cave and first drop i got a soul trap bow :(
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:33:07 AM
At 11/21/2011 4:41:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I'm a lvl 28 High Elf with Nightingale Armor and Morokai Mask. I specialize in dual-wielding combat, conjuration, sneaking, and archery.

I've done missions for the Thieves Guild, Nightingales, Stormcloaks, College of Winterhold, and the Companions.

I've got an enchanted mace from an Oblivion God. I've got a Nightingale Sword from the Knocturnal God. I have an unbreakable lockpick, a wardog, anr multiple enchanted weapons. I've killed about 20 dragons, 20 giants, and several trolls, frost trolls, and other creatures.

The Dark Brotherhood has sent 3 Assassins to kill me, but they all failed, though I do plan to join the Dark Brotherhood when the opportunity presents itself.

This is the single geekiest thing I have ever read, and that's coming from a guy with Spider-Man as his avatar.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:33:23 AM
I've maybe played 4 hours so far, just got it the other day. My first character always starts out as a standard Sword warrior, nothing complicated so I can get a feel for the game. But man, this game is hard. I ran into a mage in a random fort. At full health, I could maybe to 10% damage to him before I was dead. I ran in there 3 times and was annihilated on each attempt. This is just a random mage, nothing special.

Later, on the first mission for the companions, I had to kill a leader of some kind of creature in this cave. Its about the size of my character, but its impossible to kill. When I approach it, this giant golem-type thing runs at me in addition to the other monster, which is a OHKO if he even touches me. I also died a couple times when facing 2 things that look like giant caterpillars. This is on apprentice level, my char is lv 4, and I'm covered with light armor and a shield. I mean, wtf? This is only the FIRST mission for the companions, and its already impossible.
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:41:43 AM
yea as a mage i get one shot by boss spells even at lvl 28, i have to strafe while casting and hide behind rocks and stuff, no idea how a warrior would beat those bosses. or those groups with like 4 mages plus a summoned atronach. for those ones a put down a fire rune, summon an atronach, and then sneak in and shoot one with an arrow thats poisoned with weakness to magic.
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:46:32 AM
also last night i killed a herd of mammoths and 2 of their giant friends :)
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:49:42 AM
Yeah just got OHKO'd by the golem again. I'm gonna start over and go Archer-Mage, which was my best character in Oblivion. I wanted to avoid magic until I understood the game more, but at this rate I'll never complete a mission. Long range time.
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:56:26 AM
yea i think thats a good idea, i dont really like the melee combat in elder scrolls anyway tbh.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 8:44:18 PM
At 11/21/2011 4:56:45 PM, kogline wrote:
first encounter with a giant, i thought he might be friendly cause he didnt attack until i got right on him. we were on a valley floor near a pretty big mountain, he hit me with his club and my body landed on top of that mountain.

I love when giants are around when dragons attack since they help take them down. Last time though as soon as the dragon was killed and I was waiting to absorb the soul the giant started chasing after me. Needless to say I bolted out of there so fast!
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 9:01:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/2/2011 7:56:37 AM, mtw wrote:
Man is it just me or is all this f***ng walking getting to other people too?

Fast travel, sprint places, not that bad so far for me, and I sneak a lot.

Got it for Christmas.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.