asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2009 8:06:47 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 5/21/2009 8:01:36 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Adam Lambert > American Idol.

Wow. Fhuck you, middle-America - I know it was you.

I AGREE! Adam Lambert was my favorite!!!!
I'm asian.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2009 2:14:12 PM
At 5/21/2009 4:52:45 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Lambert had an annoying voice, and he didn't play instruments.

Kris Allen is a thousand times more talented.

An annoying voice? Which one? I seem to remember an impeccable sense of versatility in his singing style, but that's just me. The truth is, his voice was INFINITELY stronger and had a much better range, while Kris played into the whole wholesome, pretty Arkansas boy image. His voice is good, but it's no better than a typical boy band member's.

Kris is extremely boring. Simon called him things like "forgettable" and "bland" which wring true. Adam has the style, the charisma, the passion, the IT factor that comes naturally to most performers; Kris' presence is forced. He's shy and that whole good guy sex appeal will inevitably wear off. Plus, since when is it required that you have to play an instrument(s) to win AI? That is something new - it wasn't like that during the first few seasons. There's nothing to say that Adam isn't more creative than Kris, or that he won't/can't learn to play an instrument in the future. Plus, he can just as well be the front-man Idol of a band -- he shouldn't have to be able to strum a few easy guitar tabs in order to win!

Adam will far out-shine Kris, PoeJoe, mark my words.
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2009 6:44:27 PM
Adam had a much wider range, yes, but his voice is so thin and highly formatted (very little low tone in his notes). Kris Allen, on the other hand, had a full pallet in his tone.

And -- if I may conjecture so -- I think you only like Adam Lambert because he is the supposedly "hotter" one. You probably just swoon every time you see some pseudo-emo guy walking down the street, which is, b/t/w, totally lame. :P
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 11:31:04 AM
Wrong assumption, PoeJoe. I hate the "emo faq" look and I think Kris is WAY sexier than Adam! Note: Your insight regarding me finding "huskiness" sexy in another thread. I think Adam's look is cliche (though he does have a natural sense of charisma, which is hot), while Kris is authentic and boyishly sexy. Mmm.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 12:59:18 PM
Compare:

Kris Allen's best song ^

One of my favorite Adam Lambert songs (live) ^

(oh, I gave Kris as much edge as I could and even was kind enough to put his studio version of the song so his voice wouldn't sound as dull ; ) heheh)

Comparing the two is a joke. Adam Lambert for the win : ) I'm actually ok he didn't win now (after my initial anger haha). He can go do his own thing now (which will be amazing!) and Kris can keep up the wholesome American Idol image with his lame American Idol contract lol. Lambert = amazing.

And I think Adam Lambert is the waaaay sexier of the two : ) Kris is forgettable and does that weird jaw about to come off his body thing. :p
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 2:26:13 PM
What a P-H-O-N-Y!!!

That Adam song made me want to puke -- so cheesy and fraudulent it was.

But whatever. You two can go fluck yourselves (something which I bet you two will do anyway).
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 4:34:43 PM
Whaddya mean still? It should never have been watched in the first place. You want music, go with folks who write the kind of music you want instead of just copying it, you'll get much more entertainment for the time spent :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 4:48:13 PM
At 5/23/2009 4:34:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Whaddya mean still? It should never have been watched in the first place. You want music, go with folks who write the kind of music you want instead of just copying it, you'll get much more entertainment for the time spent :).

Agreed 100%, though I do like some covers. But at least covers have some semblance of different material and sound; American Idol doesn't.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 4:49:49 PM
Covers outside of contexts like this tend to come from people who also have the talent to write their own, and thereby have a greater understanding of what they are covering :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 11:29:29 PM
Clearly you two don't watch the show.

Kris Allen, although not my favorite, did a cover of Kanye West's song "Heartless" which is essentially a rap song using an acoustic guitar. David Cook did something similar last season by offering up a different, much slower rendition of Michael Jackon's "Billie Jean" (albeit not his own version) which received much acclaim. Similarly, Adam's cover of "Mad World" this season awarded him a standing ovation from Simon Cowell, who is infamously harsh on contestants (even calling another competitor a "second or third rate Tina Turner" during the same episode, for instance). In other words, there are many times certain players offer up something substantial and worthwhile. Of course, the show is NOT about writing your own songs, but about displaying talent and appealing to the masses of America. It's merely a competition. Just because you may not like the music performed or agree with the concept doesn't mean that your opinion discredits the show's validity or appeal to those who do enjoy it.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2009 11:45:11 PM
Well, I dunno what would constitute any good for those genres, so I'm gonna go with what I know. And this sucks.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2009 9:16:26 AM
At 5/23/2009 11:45:11 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Well, I dunno what would constitute any good for those genres, so I'm gonna go with what I know. And this sucks.

[video]

See! That was funny!

And there are moments of greatness, too!
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2009 10:17:30 AM
Out of the sheer popularity of the show (it just finished season 8), and almost 100 million votes in just its final round of this year- yes people still watch American Idol. The covers are irrelevant. The competition is about who has the best singing voice, not the best song writer, song compiler, song whatever-er lol.

And yeah, they remake the covers quite well, actually! Here is Adam Lambert's own rendition of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire:

And, as L mentioned earlier, Kris Allen's version of Heartless by Kanye West:

And, well, I enjoy the show very much still : )
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2009 10:32:10 AM
lol if you don't watch the show, how are you making such accusations about the covers? Just wondering : ) Like, gosh, I still can't get over that Ring of Fire re-make. Out of this world.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2009 5:18:51 PM
At 5/24/2009 10:32:10 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
lol if you don't watch the show, how are you making such accusations about the covers? Just wondering : ) Like, gosh, I still can't get over that Ring of Fire re-make. Out of this world.

I've watched the show, and I've always found it the same. Three seasons in and I couldn't stand it anymore, especially because this was at the time when I didn't have cable and could only watch FOX because it had all the good shows, then AI would come on and disrupt my Two and a Half Men. Never seen myself so angry.
i_defy_the_norm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 12:02:45 PM
I'm happy that Adam lost. honestly a contract with american idol would do him no good because he is so much better than that. He needs to be away from American Idol for good and get his bearings with some other record label
I can't defy gravity (I'm actually quite clumsy), but I can defy the norm. Try to stand out.