Total Posts:45|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Harry Potter and Star Wars

Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 9:49:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There's been a Star Wars marathon on Spike all day so I was inspired to make this. :)

Hmm. I like both and they're probably two of my favorite fantasy series. I like the Harry Potter books and the HP universe the most. The original Star Wars movie trilogy is definitely better than the HP movies though.

I was thinking of a few different topics to discuss between the two series.

===

1. Who would win in a battle between Harry Potter characters and Star Wars characters?

Rules:
- Harry Potter participants: Order of the Phoenix, Aurors, Dumbledore's Army, Death Eaters
- Star Wars participants: Jedi, Sith, Stormtroopers
----> just assume White/Dark wizards and Jedi/Sith will work together
- dead characters are permitted (ie. Voldemort, Dumbledore, Snape, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Sidious, Mace Windu, etc.)
- location: barren land ~50 square miles -- on planet Earth
- no horcruxes permitted
- only original universe (seven books/eight movies for HP and the six movies for Star Wars)

I'd have to go with the HP wizards to take this easily.
- most Star Wars characters aren't well-trained with the force (only Sidious, Vader, Count Dooku, and Yoda have shown exceptional competence in the Force)
- the rest of the Jedi/Sith would have to rely on killing the wizards with lightsabers (lol...)
- telekinesis and other Jedi mind tricks won't work on most wizards as they're trained in legilimency and occlumency (Dumbledore, Voldemort, Snape, Harry Potter, the Malfoys, Bellatrix Lestrange, and others have demonstrated this)
- moves like Force Choke wouldn't work on wizards as they can disapparate
- Sith lightning isn't much of a match compared to even intermediate spells, and wouldn't stand a chance against more advanced spells (like when DD and Voldemort fought in the Ministry of Magic)
- Stormtroopers are unable to stop any spells whatsoever, and wouldn't be much of a factor
- Silver shield spells and other enchantments can be used by wizards to stop any attacks against them
- other than lightsabers, the Sith and Jedi don't have much defense against spells

How I think the battle would go:
- wizards immediately cast defensive charms and enchantments like the silver shield spell to halt almost any and all attacks
- wizards use expelliarmus spell to disarm lightsabers and blaster rifles
- wizards use impedimenta spell to freeze the movement of the Star Wars characters
- a powerful wizard like Dumbledore or Voldemort could then use fiendfyre to set on fire all remaining Star Wars characters
...

Darth Sidious or Anakin Skywalker are the only ones who I think could even beat an average wizard. Sith lightning can be blocked by a lightsaber. A wand with magic and a wizard who can disapparate would be impossible for even Sidious to beat.

So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

===

2. Top 10 Most Powerful Characters from each:

-Harry Potter-
1. Albus Dumbledore -- defeated Grindelwald in a duel when Grindelwald had the Elder Wand; had the edge over Voldemort in the Ministry duel; DD was the only wizard Voldemort feared
2. Lord Voldemort -- most powerful dark wizard, only very marginally less powerful than DD
*** -- large difference between DD, Voldemort, and the rest
3. Gellert Grindelwald -- said to be the most powerful dark wizard until Voldemort came along
4. Severus Snape
5. Alastor Moody
6. Kingsley Shacklebolt
7. Bellatrix Lestrange
8. Minerva McGonagall
9. Sirius Black
10. Filius Flitwick
9001. Harry Potter -- kid sucks; got owned by Snape in the Half-Blood Prince, and kidnapped by snatchers with ease. Only beat Voldemort because of the allegiance of the Elder Wand at the time. Above-average wizard at best.
Honorable Mentions: I think Merlin and Godric Gryffindor have the potential to be No. 3 or No. 4, but not enough is known about them and the older wizards have less skills to work with and aren't well-trained in the dark arts.

I don't think 1, 2, and 3 are very debatable. 4-10 are all very open.

-Star Wars-
1. Anakin Skywalker
2. Darth Sidious
3. Darth Vader
4. Yoda
5. Count Dooku
6. Darth Maul
7. Mace Windu
8. Obi-Wan Kenobi
9. Luke Skywalker
10. Qui-Gon Jinn

Not too sure about this list. Every spot is pretty debatable.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:03:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 9:49:46 PM, Royaltee wrote:
-Star Wars-
1. Anakin Skywalker
2. Darth Sidious
3. Darth Vader
4. Yoda
5. Count Dooku
6. Darth Maul:
7. Mace Windu
8. Obi-Wan Kenobi:
9. Luke Skywalker
10. Qui-Gon Jinn

Not too sure about this list. Every spot is pretty debatable.

Well you seem to have already declared wizards the winners but I definitely think that Obi-Wan needs to be higher than Darth Maul considering he killed him...
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:33:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 10:03:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well you seem to have already declared wizards the winners but I definitely think that Obi-Wan needs to be higher than Darth Maul considering he killed him...

Killing someone doesn't necessarily make someone more powerful. Harry killed Voldemort, Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix, Vader killed Sidious...

In the case of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul-- Maul was fighting both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn at the same time. Maul killed Qui-Gon and then knocked Obi-Wan down that reactor pipe thing; Maul thought that he killed Obi-Wan. With Maul's back turned, Obi-Wan got out of the pipe, used the Force to get his lightsaber back, and killed Maul before he even knew that Obi-Wan was still alive. It was pretty obvious that Maul was a much more talented lightsaber dueler than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan probably had an edge in intelligence and force knowledge, but not enough so to make him more powerful than Maul.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
nerdykiller
Posts: 856
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:40:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.

lol
nerdykiller
Posts: 856
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:43:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
STARWARS FOR THE WIN!!!
blasters, lightsavers, and force, against wands its debatable.
NOW when you add star ships and vehicles against brooms....
It's not looking good for team magic.
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:52:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.

lolno Sauron with the Ring was defeated by a mere non-magic mortal with a sword. Gandalf and Saruman are relatively unsophisticated wizards compared to Dumbledore and Voldemort. I don't really know anything about Star Trek or Inheritance Cycle to speak about that.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:15:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 10:33:46 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:03:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well you seem to have already declared wizards the winners but I definitely think that Obi-Wan needs to be higher than Darth Maul considering he killed him...

Killing someone doesn't necessarily make someone more powerful. Harry killed Voldemort, Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix, Vader killed Sidious...

In the case of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul-- Maul was fighting both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn at the same time. Maul killed Qui-Gon and then knocked Obi-Wan down that reactor pipe thing; Maul thought that he killed Obi-Wan. With Maul's back turned, Obi-Wan got out of the pipe, used the Force to get his lightsaber back, and killed Maul before he even knew that Obi-Wan was still alive. It was pretty obvious that Maul was a much more talented lightsaber dueler than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan probably had an edge in intelligence and force knowledge, but not enough so to make him more powerful than Maul.

Not quite how it went. Maul threw him down the hole. Then he was wacking the edge with his lightsaber to send sparks down to hit obi-wan so he'd let go. Obi-wan jumped up behind maul and force pulled qui-gon's lightsaber to him. He turned it on and cut maul through his middle.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:19:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:15:24 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:33:46 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:03:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well you seem to have already declared wizards the winners but I definitely think that Obi-Wan needs to be higher than Darth Maul considering he killed him...

Killing someone doesn't necessarily make someone more powerful. Harry killed Voldemort, Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix, Vader killed Sidious...

In the case of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul-- Maul was fighting both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn at the same time. Maul killed Qui-Gon and then knocked Obi-Wan down that reactor pipe thing; Maul thought that he killed Obi-Wan. With Maul's back turned, Obi-Wan got out of the pipe, used the Force to get his lightsaber back, and killed Maul before he even knew that Obi-Wan was still alive. It was pretty obvious that Maul was a much more talented lightsaber dueler than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan probably had an edge in intelligence and force knowledge, but not enough so to make him more powerful than Maul.

Not quite how it went. Maul threw him down the hole. Then he was wacking the edge with his lightsaber to send sparks down to hit obi-wan so he'd let go. Obi-wan jumped up behind maul and force pulled qui-gon's lightsaber to him. He turned it on and cut maul through his middle.

True, my bad. I still think Maul was better.
nerdykiller
Posts: 856
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:22:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:19:59 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:15:24 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:33:46 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:03:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well you seem to have already declared wizards the winners but I definitely think that Obi-Wan needs to be higher than Darth Maul considering he killed him...

Killing someone doesn't necessarily make someone more powerful. Harry killed Voldemort, Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix, Vader killed Sidious...

In the case of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul-- Maul was fighting both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn at the same time. Maul killed Qui-Gon and then knocked Obi-Wan down that reactor pipe thing; Maul thought that he killed Obi-Wan. With Maul's back turned, Obi-Wan got out of the pipe, used the Force to get his lightsaber back, and killed Maul before he even knew that Obi-Wan was still alive. It was pretty obvious that Maul was a much more talented lightsaber dueler than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan probably had an edge in intelligence and force knowledge, but not enough so to make him more powerful than Maul.

Not quite how it went. Maul threw him down the hole. Then he was wacking the edge with his lightsaber to send sparks down to hit obi-wan so he'd let go. Obi-wan jumped up behind maul and force pulled qui-gon's lightsaber to him. He turned it on and cut maul through his middle.

True, my bad. I still think Maul was better.

can we just tie them for number 5 or something...
they are both good!
although obi wan did i guess kinda kill Anakin...
nerdykiller
Posts: 856
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:24:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 10:52:40 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.

lolno Sauron with the Ring was defeated by a mere non-magic mortal with a sword. Gandalf and Saruman are relatively unsophisticated wizards compared to Dumbledore and Voldemort. I don't really know anything about Star Trek or Inheritance Cycle to speak about that.

Gandalf's unsophisticated. Ok, explain, then, how he survived when the o-so-sophisticated Dumbledore died. Also explain how Gandalf defeated the Baelrog when he was half dead. He chased off the Nazgul by himself, and saved Minas Tirith from destruction. Don't forget the eagles either. (this is all from the movies, I'm sure there are far better examples of his power in the books. We can't forget him in The Hobbit, either) As for Sauron's defeat, Isildur wasn't an ordinary human. His line was blessed with long lives, and they weren't the kings of Gondor for nothing.
Here's something else to remember, power isn't solely brute strength. While Dumbledore may wield more complex spells, Eragon or Gandalf could far out-do him with their much simpler, and quicker, spells. The more intricate it is, the more likely you are to fvck it up.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:25:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:19:59 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:15:24 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:33:46 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:03:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well you seem to have already declared wizards the winners but I definitely think that Obi-Wan needs to be higher than Darth Maul considering he killed him...

Killing someone doesn't necessarily make someone more powerful. Harry killed Voldemort, Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix, Vader killed Sidious...

In the case of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul-- Maul was fighting both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn at the same time. Maul killed Qui-Gon and then knocked Obi-Wan down that reactor pipe thing; Maul thought that he killed Obi-Wan. With Maul's back turned, Obi-Wan got out of the pipe, used the Force to get his lightsaber back, and killed Maul before he even knew that Obi-Wan was still alive. It was pretty obvious that Maul was a much more talented lightsaber dueler than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan probably had an edge in intelligence and force knowledge, but not enough so to make him more powerful than Maul.

Not quite how it went. Maul threw him down the hole. Then he was wacking the edge with his lightsaber to send sparks down to hit obi-wan so he'd let go. Obi-wan jumped up behind maul and force pulled qui-gon's lightsaber to him. He turned it on and cut maul through his middle.

True, my bad. I still think Maul was better.

I wasn't saying he wasn't.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:26:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

I said in the rules that the space was 50 square miles of barren land on Earth. Regardless, what do they plan on blasting? Wizards can disapparate -- not really possible to kill with ships.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:26:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

Death Star. That's probably why the fight was in a limited, open space.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:28:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:26:10 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

I said in the rules that the space was 50 square miles of barren land on Earth. Regardless, what do they plan on blasting? Wizards can disapparate -- not really possible to kill with ships.

What's disapparate? I read a few books, realized they sucked, and stopped reading them.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:35:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:24:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:52:40 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.

lolno Sauron with the Ring was defeated by a mere non-magic mortal with a sword. Gandalf and Saruman are relatively unsophisticated wizards compared to Dumbledore and Voldemort. I don't really know anything about Star Trek or Inheritance Cycle to speak about that.

Gandalf's unsophisticated. Ok, explain, then, how he survived when the o-so-sophisticated Dumbledore died.
Eh, do you follow the Harry Potter story? Dumbledore had Snape kill him on purpose so that he could help Harry.

Also explain how Gandalf defeated the Baelrog when he was half dead. He chased off the Nazgul by himself, and saved Minas Tirith from destruction. Don't forget the eagles either. (this is all from the movies, I'm sure there are far better examples of his power in the books. We can't forget him in The Hobbit, either)
I never said that Gandalf is an incompetent fool. He's definitely one of the most powerful characters in LoTR.

As for Sauron's defeat, Isildur wasn't an ordinary human. His line was blessed with long lives, and they weren't the kings of Gondor for nothing.
A wizard in HP would never be killed by a human king with no special powers. And wasn't Isildur killed by orcs? Ha.

Here's something else to remember, power isn't solely brute strength. While Dumbledore may wield more complex spells, Eragon or Gandalf could far out-do him with their much simpler, and quicker, spells. The more intricate it is, the more likely you are to fvck it up.
Not really. It takes Voldemort no time whatsoever to conjure Avada Kedavra (the killing curse) -- and that's the most powerful and difficult spell in the wizarding world. DD and Voldemort can both make themselves appear invisible and use spells without their wand -- Gandalf and Saruman both need their staffs. And Gandalf couldn't even use magic against orcs in some of the battles -- he just beat them over the head with his staff lol.
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:36:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:28:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:26:10 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

I said in the rules that the space was 50 square miles of barren land on Earth. Regardless, what do they plan on blasting? Wizards can disapparate -- not really possible to kill with ships.

What's disapparate? I read a few books, realized they sucked, and stopped reading them.

A form of teleportation.
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:39:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:26:34 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

Death Star.
Not really sure how the Death Star would help to kill the wizards. For defense it would help marginally, but killing wizards with the Death Star would be near-impossible.

That's probably why the fight was in a limited, open space.
Mostly. If they could use flying ships, we might as well argue HP wizards vs. the US Air Force. (Still wizards > air force though.)
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:49:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:35:20 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:24:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:52:40 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.

lolno Sauron with the Ring was defeated by a mere non-magic mortal with a sword. Gandalf and Saruman are relatively unsophisticated wizards compared to Dumbledore and Voldemort. I don't really know anything about Star Trek or Inheritance Cycle to speak about that.

Gandalf's unsophisticated. Ok, explain, then, how he survived when the o-so-sophisticated Dumbledore died.
Eh, do you follow the Harry Potter story? Dumbledore had Snape kill him on purpose so that he could help Harry.

You're gonna have to clarify how killing yourself helps.

Also explain how Gandalf defeated the Baelrog when he was half dead. He chased off the Nazgul by himself, and saved Minas Tirith from destruction. Don't forget the eagles either. (this is all from the movies, I'm sure there are far better examples of his power in the books. We can't forget him in The Hobbit, either)
I never said that Gandalf is an incompetent fool. He's definitely one of the most powerful characters in LoTR.

As for Sauron's defeat, Isildur wasn't an ordinary human. His line was blessed with long lives, and they weren't the kings of Gondor for nothing.
A wizard in HP would never be killed by a human king with no special powers. And wasn't Isildur killed by orcs? Ha.

Don't bet on it. When you're standing over your foe and they are on the verge of death, you could fairly easily be surprised when their son runs up and swing a broken sword at your outstretched hand. Or in Harry Potter, your chest. Especially if you had just taken out hundreds of enemies without ever actually touching one. And no, that was his son.

Here's something else to remember, power isn't solely brute strength. While Dumbledore may wield more complex spells, Eragon or Gandalf could far out-do him with their much simpler, and quicker, spells. The more intricate it is, the more likely you are to fvck it up.
Not really. It takes Voldemort no time whatsoever to conjure Avada Kedavra (the killing curse) -- and that's the most powerful and difficult spell in the wizarding world. DD and Voldemort can both make themselves appear invisible and use spells without their wand -- Gandalf and Saruman both need their staffs. And Gandalf couldn't even use magic against orcs in some of the battles -- he just beat them over the head with his staff lol.

Maybe in you wizarding world. In TIC (I'm going to use that to refer to the Inheritance Cycle), there are seven words that can kill. Eragon knows them all and can kill hundreds of soldiers at once with them. Voldemort wouldn't even have time to begin his spell. Invisibility, there's a hard one. All they have to do is refract the light. Gandalf has no need for that. Plus, a bag of flour will render that inisibility useless. In TIC, wands don't even exist, so ha. So what if Gandalf needs a staff. That doesn't make him any less capable of handing Voldemort his @ss on a silver platter. And Gandalf's using his staff to kill orcs just shows that Gandalf recognizes that using magic isn't always necessary.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:51:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:36:20 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:28:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:26:10 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

I said in the rules that the space was 50 square miles of barren land on Earth. Regardless, what do they plan on blasting? Wizards can disapparate -- not really possible to kill with ships.

What's disapparate? I read a few books, realized they sucked, and stopped reading them.

A form of teleportation.

You can only go so far then. And I don't think that'll save you from a Nazgul.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:52:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It hust occured to me that I have one character that would kill all of yours with little risk to themself.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 12:07:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:49:33 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:35:20 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:24:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:52:40 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.

lolno Sauron with the Ring was defeated by a mere non-magic mortal with a sword. Gandalf and Saruman are relatively unsophisticated wizards compared to Dumbledore and Voldemort. I don't really know anything about Star Trek or Inheritance Cycle to speak about that.

Gandalf's unsophisticated. Ok, explain, then, how he survived when the o-so-sophisticated Dumbledore died.
Eh, do you follow the Harry Potter story? Dumbledore had Snape kill him on purpose so that he could help Harry.
You're gonna have to clarify how killing yourself helps.
Voldemort had a plan for Draco to kill DD. DD made Snape kill DD so that Draco wouldn't have to because (1) DD wanted Draco to stay spiritually pure and (2) the allegiance of the Elder Wand would have transferred to Draco instead of Snape (even though the Elder Wand did go to Draco instead of Snape anyway).

Not really relevant though. DD wouldn't have been killed if he didn't want to.

Here's something else to remember, power isn't solely brute strength. While Dumbledore may wield more complex spells, Eragon or Gandalf could far out-do him with their much simpler, and quicker, spells. The more intricate it is, the more likely you are to fvck it up.
Not really. It takes Voldemort no time whatsoever to conjure Avada Kedavra (the killing curse) -- and that's the most powerful and difficult spell in the wizarding world. DD and Voldemort can both make themselves appear invisible and use spells without their wand -- Gandalf and Saruman both need their staffs. And Gandalf couldn't even use magic against orcs in some of the battles -- he just beat them over the head with his staff lol.

Maybe in you wizarding world. In TIC (I'm going to use that to refer to the Inheritance Cycle), there are seven words that can kill. Eragon knows them all and can kill hundreds of soldiers at once with them. Voldemort wouldn't even have time to begin his spell.
I'm not familiar with the Inheritance Cycle and Eragon so I can't comment. And Voldemort doesn't even have to use words for his spells to work so time isn't a factor anyway.

Invisibility, there's a hard one. All they have to do is refract the light. Gandalf has no need for that.
Who has the power of light-refraction?

Plus, a bag of flour will render that inisibility useless.
What? Are you just gonna throw flour everywhere and hope it hits the person?

In TIC, wands don't even exist, so ha.
Coolio. I never said DD and Voldemort are the most powerful wizards in the history of all wizard books. Again, I'm not familiar with TIC.

So what if Gandalf needs a staff.
Expelliarmus spell would take Gandalf's staff out of his hand and render him powerless.

That doesn't make him any less capable of handing Voldemort his @ss on a silver platter.
Silver shield blocks all spells and Avada Kedavra kills Gandalf.

And Gandalf's using his staff to kill orcs just shows that Gandalf recognizes that using magic isn't always necessary.
It doesn't make sense though. He can only kill or injure X amount of Orcs with a staff, magic is much more practical and efficient.
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 12:08:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:51:05 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:36:20 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:28:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:26:10 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

I said in the rules that the space was 50 square miles of barren land on Earth. Regardless, what do they plan on blasting? Wizards can disapparate -- not really possible to kill with ships.

What's disapparate? I read a few books, realized they sucked, and stopped reading them.

A form of teleportation.

You can only go so far then. And I don't think that'll save you from a Nazgul.

lol a hobbit and some little woman killed the witch-king. Nazguls wouldn't be much of a challenge for HP wizards.
Royaltee
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 12:09:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/1/2012 11:52:52 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
It hust occured to me that I have one character that would kill all of yours with little risk to themself.

Probably. I was comparing Harry Potter to Star Wars, I'm not saying that HP wizards are the demi-gods of all things magic.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 12:23:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 12:07:21 AM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:49:33 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:35:20 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:24:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:52:40 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:38:37 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
None of this matters because every main character from LOTR, Star Trek, and/or the Inheritance Cycle could kick the @ss of any character from HP and/or Star Wars.

lolno Sauron with the Ring was defeated by a mere non-magic mortal with a sword. Gandalf and Saruman are relatively unsophisticated wizards compared to Dumbledore and Voldemort. I don't really know anything about Star Trek or Inheritance Cycle to speak about that.

Gandalf's unsophisticated. Ok, explain, then, how he survived when the o-so-sophisticated Dumbledore died.
Eh, do you follow the Harry Potter story? Dumbledore had Snape kill him on purpose so that he could help Harry.
You're gonna have to clarify how killing yourself helps.
Voldemort had a plan for Draco to kill DD. DD made Snape kill DD so that Draco wouldn't have to because (1) DD wanted Draco to stay spiritually pure and (2) the allegiance of the Elder Wand would have transferred to Draco instead of Snape (even though the Elder Wand did go to Draco instead of Snape anyway).

Not really relevant though. DD wouldn't have been killed if he didn't want to.

Was Snape good or bad? I stopped reading and get confused about that every time I hear something new. What's the elder wand?

Here's something else to remember, power isn't solely brute strength. While Dumbledore may wield more complex spells, Eragon or Gandalf could far out-do him with their much simpler, and quicker, spells. The more intricate it is, the more likely you are to fvck it up.
Not really. It takes Voldemort no time whatsoever to conjure Avada Kedavra (the killing curse) -- and that's the most powerful and difficult spell in the wizarding world. DD and Voldemort can both make themselves appear invisible and use spells without their wand -- Gandalf and Saruman both need their staffs. And Gandalf couldn't even use magic against orcs in some of the battles -- he just beat them over the head with his staff lol.

Maybe in you wizarding world. In TIC (I'm going to use that to refer to the Inheritance Cycle), there are seven words that can kill. Eragon knows them all and can kill hundreds of soldiers at once with them. Voldemort wouldn't even have time to begin his spell.
I'm not familiar with the Inheritance Cycle and Eragon so I can't comment. And Voldemort doesn't even have to use words for his spells to work so time isn't a factor anyway.

Neither does Eragon. It's just safer.A point I may have forgotten, Eragon has control over literally everything by the end of the book.

Invisibility, there's a hard one. All they have to do is refract the light. Gandalf has no need for that.
Who has the power of light-refraction?

Every competent wizard in TIC.

Plus, a bag of flour will render that inisibility useless.
What? Are you just gonna throw flour everywhere and hope it hits the person?

Maybe. Dirt woul do the same thing. So would fog.

In TIC, wands don't even exist, so ha.
Coolio. I never said DD and Voldemort are the most powerful wizards in the history of all wizard books. Again, I'm not familiar with TIC.

Here's probably the main problem we're going to run into with this argument. Magic is used in different ways in the two series and different laws govern it.

So what if Gandalf needs a staff.
Expelliarmus spell would take Gandalf's staff out of his hand and render him powerless.

He has magic too. He can counter before the spell is done.

That doesn't make him any less capable of handing Voldemort his @ss on a silver platter.
Silver shield blocks all spells and Avada Kedavra kills Gandalf.

So Gandalf stabs him with his sword while the spell is cast.

And Gandalf's using his staff to kill orcs just shows that Gandalf recognizes that using magic isn't always necessary.
It doesn't make sense though. He can only kill or injure X amount of Orcs with a staff, magic is much more practical and efficient.

Only X amount of dwarves can attack at once.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 12:25:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 12:08:38 AM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:51:05 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:36:20 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:28:04 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:26:10 PM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:23:38 PM, nerdykiller wrote:
So yeah, not even close -- Harry Potter characters are far more powerful than Star Wars characters. Dumbledore or Voldemort alone could likely destroy all Star Wars characters in a close space within seconds.

-They wont be in close space.
starwars can just blast them from far away.

I said in the rules that the space was 50 square miles of barren land on Earth. Regardless, what do they plan on blasting? Wizards can disapparate -- not really possible to kill with ships.

What's disapparate? I read a few books, realized they sucked, and stopped reading them.

A form of teleportation.

You can only go so far then. And I don't think that'll save you from a Nazgul.

lol a hobbit and some little woman killed the witch-king. Nazguls wouldn't be much of a challenge for HP wizards.

He thought she was a male. No man can kill the witch-king. HP women don't go running into the middle of the battle that could decide the fate of the world wearing a full suit of armor.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 12:27:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/2/2012 12:09:32 AM, Royaltee wrote:
At 1/1/2012 11:52:52 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
It hust occured to me that I have one character that would kill all of yours with little risk to themself.

Probably. I was comparing Harry Potter to Star Wars, I'm not saying that HP wizards are the demi-gods of all things magic.

I was thinking of the Witch-King. I wonder how long we'll continue this discussion before we grow bored of it.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 2:35:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Force wielders, especially the Sith, are essentially specialized military operatives, trained to kill foes with powers and reflexes well beyond humans. I'm fairly certain a gaggle of sith (I imagine that's the proper term) would quickly and efficiently dispatch a proportionate (in number and experience) group of wizards. If we are discussing the very best characters from both worlds, this truth is magnified tenfold.

Vader, Revan, Sidious, and other high-level sith can sense and kill enemies across immense distances almost instantaneously. Their speed, power, and mental fortitude are classes above what is shown in the films, for obvious reasons. Add masters like Yoda and Luke (the later years) in the mix and the battle would be over before a wand was raised.

I'd be willing to debate on this topic if a proper challenge was presented.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...