Jump to topic:

What is the best version of the Joker?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 7:03:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For clarification, I mean Batman's Joker.(Though how you wouldn't know that, I have no idea)

I personally think it was the video game Batman: Arkham Asylum/City's version, just cause he was insane, but still had enough sanity that you could understand how he was a genius.

He killed, but you didn't get the whole overdone psychopath idea of, say, The Dark Knight.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 7:28:14 PM
Obviously Mark Hammill's Joker. I enjoyed Dark Knight Joker's love of anarchy as a character attribute, but he lacked the maniacal insanity that Joker is supposed to have.

In other words, the ha-ha crazy, not the sad crazy.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 7:38:09 PM
At 1/7/2012 7:28:14 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Obviously Mark Hammill's Joker. I enjoyed Dark Knight Joker's love of anarchy as a character attribute, but he lacked the maniacal insanity that Joker is supposed to have.

If possible, one can divide it into the different incarnations of the Joker. For me, I prefer the BTAS series' Joker wasn't really threatening; his schemes, whether to obtain a large copyright on fish, steal and raze Gotham after besieging with "laughing gas", give himself the award for the most funniest man in Gotham, gain revenge against a host of members--the mayor, commissioner, and so on, were quite delightful and while not as meaningful or poetic like some of the other episodes of the series--was just pure fun.

A mix of insanity and a last laugh always proves fatal for the reader...:)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 7:40:16 PM
At 1/7/2012 7:38:09 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

If possible, one can divide it into the different incarnations of the Joker. For me, I prefer the BTAS series' Joker wasn't really threatening; his schemes, whether to obtain a large copyright on fish, steal and raze Gotham after besieging with "laughing gas", give himself the award for the most funniest man in Gotham, gain revenge against a host of members--the mayor, commissioner, and so on, were quite delightful and while not as meaningful or poetic like some of the other episodes of the series--was just pure fun.

TAS Joker WAS Mark Hamill.

What I meant was that I like him MORE than TDK's Joker.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 7:43:39 PM
At 1/7/2012 7:40:16 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 1/7/2012 7:38:09 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

TAS Joker WAS Mark Hamill.

What I meant was that I like him MORE than TDK's Joker.

I know...but I tend to differentiate between the Joker of BTAS, TNBA, and BB(Return of the Joker), and to some degree of the Justice League series....

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 7:44:52 PM
Or in general Hammill's Joker.

Other versions such as Jack Nicholson's and Heath Ledger's (God rest his soul) versions don't compare to such a flawless combination of a little laugh and a little tear....

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 12:03:20 AM
Brian Azzarello's graphic novel simply titled "Joker" depicts my favorite incarnation. Loosely based on TDK's portrayal, the novel displays the Joker as a sadistic murderer, rapist, crime lord, and not funny in the slightest. The "jokes" have always been based in insanity and psychopathy, not humor. Watered down versions of the character are insults to his derangement and Batman, really. The Joker wouldn't be his greatest nemesis if he was really just concerned with gassing a few citizens.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 12:55:27 AM
At 1/8/2012 12:03:20 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Brian Azzarello's graphic novel simply titled "Joker" depicts my favorite incarnation. Loosely based on TDK's portrayal, the novel displays the Joker as a sadistic murderer, rapist, crime lord, and not funny in the slightest. The "jokes" have always been based in insanity and psychopathy, not humor. Watered down versions of the character are insults to his derangement and Batman, really. The Joker wouldn't be his greatest nemesis if he was really just concerned with gassing a few citizens.

That's personally why I like the Arkham Batman's version. He is actually pretty funny(sorta), but he is also a ruthless crime lord, and it shows. He has the humor, but he isn't just a psychopath that can plan well.

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 3:11:50 PM
i have to go with the Dark Knight Joker. I think the movie portrayed Joker's criminal intelligence and insanity beautifully.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 1:28:20 AM
I'm a bit of a Batman freak (not excessive, but it's one of my favourite things...)

Frank Miller's Joker in The Dark Knight Returns was pretty awesome. My favourite 'Joker' comics are "The Man Who Laughs" and "The Killing Joke" (Alan Moore for the win).

I loved Christopher Nolan/Heath Ledger's Joker. It exceeded my expectations and they were damn high! I remember the first time I saw a picture of him. My dad (who got me into Batman) talked for hours and months about the possibilities. Not evil enough? Blowing up hospitals? Coercing civilians into murder? Yerrr, cool story
bro. He looked awesome to.
After a recent reviewing of Tim Burton's Batman, I've decided I like Jack Nicholson as the Joker, though not as much as Heath Ledger. He did an excellent job and was funny and evil and plenty Jokery. Bit fat though. :P

I loved The Animated Series Joker too. Mark Hamill did a great job voicing him.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:22:08 PM
I would say the joker that is coming out which would be Batman Rising. It sounds pretty good and cannot wait to see the charecters.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 7:18:17 AM
I loved the Joker in 'The Dark Knight Returns' By Frank Miller and in the movie the Dark Knight. Though he was lacking some of his humor in the movie but still a terror. :)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 5:01:11 PM
At 2/2/2012 2:22:08 PM, kyro90 wrote:
I would say the joker that is coming out which would be Batman Rising. It sounds pretty good and cannot wait to see the charecters.

The Joker isn't in Dark Knight Rises... Heath Ledger died.

Muh threads
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 5:49:40 PM
At 2/5/2012 5:01:11 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Perhaps, somehow, get a better actor?!!?!? O.O Not sure if thats possible.

kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 6:00:50 PM

Oh lol then I guess in Arkham City because I was amazed at the detail and the two sides of Joker.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 6:06:41 PM
At 2/5/2012 5:49:40 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Perhaps, somehow, get a better actor?!!?!? O.O Not sure if thats possible.

Christopher Nolan has explicitly said he won't be putting the Joker in the new movie.

Muh threads
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 9:54:02 AM
Jack Nicholson is to the joker what Arnold Schwarzenneger is to barbarians, what Clint Eastwood is to western gunslingers, and what William Shatner is to starship captains - all others coming afterwards will be in their shadows. These actors achieved perfection in their portrayals. Later actors can approach their infinite grace, as Patrick Stewart and Heath Ledger did, but they cannot match it. It is like trying to reach infinity.
Rob