Jump to topic:

Favorite Non-European Music

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 10:37:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I understand if the thread seems pointless but I created it to promote songs, opera arias, instrumentals, concert pieces, from musical traditions outside of Europe.

[And to be clear, European music should be held as equal to western music. I'm using conventional geographic terms to define the boundary between European/western and non-european/-western. Note that though concerts, symphonies, operas, sonidos, are aspects of European culture, they are also found in eastern cultures (opera being a prime example, as seen in Beijing and Peking opera traditions) and some may even be found in modern eastern music due to diffusion of cultures.]

With that being said, I'll give my favorite non-European music-pieces (at the moment): a traditional and rather commonplace Chinese song with the speaker discussing her childhood passion for the sea. I like the lyrical aspects of the poem, which are found in another poem about the beginning (?) of spring.

Both songs were performed in the 1980s, at some annular celebration. NOTE THAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS AND ONLY KNOW THE GENERAL SUBJECT OF EACH SONG.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 10:38:41 PM
*Respectively.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 1:43:14 AM
At 1/8/2012 1:18:12 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Non-Europoean...well there goes 80% of my songs.

If that includes American songs somehow, I'm done.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 8:17:17 AM
At 1/8/2012 1:18:12 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Non-Europoean...well there goes 80% of my songs.

What of the 20%???

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 8:46:12 AM
I have to point out this: There are two main borders of Europe. One is the Ural mountains, the Caspian Sea, the Caucuses the Black Sea and the Bosporous. The other is the Borders of Russia and Turkey and the Black Sea. Which do you consider the border of Europe? (Sorry, Geographically correct moment)

And for my music, I'll put this American song:
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:00:34 AM
At 1/8/2012 8:46:12 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I have to point out this: There are two main borders of Europe. One is the Ural mountains, the Caspian Sea, the Caucuses the Black Sea and the Bosporous. The other is the Borders of Russia and Turkey and the Black Sea. Which do you consider the border of Europe? (Sorry, Geographically correct moment)

Outside of both borders....

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:01:24 AM
At 1/8/2012 9:00:34 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

So, would Russian music be considered European music?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:04:14 AM
At 1/8/2012 9:01:24 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Hmm...the culture associated within the Ural mountains.

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:07:05 AM
At 1/8/2012 9:04:14 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

[facepalm] This does not answer my question! I would think that you would consider Russian music that originated west of the Urals would be European while the Russian music originated east of the Urals non-European. Is that it?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:07:09 AM

(as in both borders separate Europe from other continents)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:08:08 AM
At 1/8/2012 9:07:05 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

[facepalm] This does not answer my question! I would think that you would consider Russian music that originated west of the Urals would be European while the Russian music originated east of the Urals non-European. Is that it?

Um, yes.
That was what I meant....unless if it is false, UnStupendousMan.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:11:38 AM
Hopefully this distinction has been made. I also retract the fact that I wrote that European music was equal to western music.......

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:16:31 AM
At 1/8/2012 9:08:08 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Um, yes.

It's okay. When I saw "Culture associated with the Ural mountains" I had a Whisky Tango Foxtrot moment. Your answer was a non-sequitor to the question, which was "Would you consider Russian music European music?"
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:18:24 AM
At 1/8/2012 9:16:31 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 1/8/2012 9:08:08 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Um, yes.

It's okay. When I saw "Culture associated with the Ural mountains" I had a Whisky Tango Foxtrot moment. Your answer was a non-sequitor to the question, which was "Would you consider Russian music European music?"

Okay, yes thank you.

Now, anything else?

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:20:00 AM
Not much. I like a few Arabic songs, not much else (besides Western / European ones). I think Eastern European music differs quite a lot to Western European, and I listen a lot to Balkan music. And there are too many of those.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:27:29 AM
I listen to as much Japanese pop, or j-pop, and other Asian fair as I do American stuff. The melodies and fluidity of the lyrics are hypnotic. Many of them make second versions with English lyrics, though the originals tend to be better. That is natural, considering the rhyme schemes are written for specific languages.

My interest started with anime themes (see: videos), branched off to themes from Asian dramas, and then I was hooked.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 4:30:06 PM
I like listening to music that come from places internationally
Here are a few songs from a japanese hip-hop group Nobodyknows+.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 3:05:46 AM
I think it would have been more accurate to put non-western music. I tend to be into a lot of Middle Eastern, Pakistani, and Indian music.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, I'm bored.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 6:54:37 PM

*Facepalm* Queen and David Bowie, the Artists who made this song, are British, and the song was made in Britain.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 12:01:27 PM
I'm (mainly) a hip hop listener and besides American (and English) hip hop I listen to a lot of Japanese and Korean hip hop. I also listen to some African (as in from Africa) hip hop.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 8:59:03 PM
At 9/16/2012 12:01:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'm (mainly) a hip hop listener and besides American (and English) hip hop I listen to a lot of Japanese and Korean hip hop. I also listen to some African (as in from Africa) hip hop.

Drunken Tiger FTW
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 9:38:11 PM
At 9/14/2012 6:54:37 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

*Facepalm* Queen and David Bowie, the Artists who made this song, are British, and the song was made in Britain.

Derp. Derpity Derp Derp Derp Derp. Derp Derp Derpity Derp Derp Derp.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc