Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Gattaca movie?

cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 10:41:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just recently so a movie in class called Gattaca. Probably one of the most mind-blowing movies I've seen so far. It's along the lines of Inception, Matrix, and the Adjustment Bureau. "Gattaca" is a play on the bases for DNA..ex. guanine, adenine, thymine, cytosine...anybody seen it? Thoughts?
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 11:17:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've seen it and I think it really addresses the issue of genetic engineering in an interesting way. I could see a lot of those same issues potentially popping up if we were to start genetically engineering the "perfect" children.
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:29:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 11:17:06 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I've seen it and I think it really addresses the issue of genetic engineering in an interesting way. I could see a lot of those same issues potentially popping up if we were to start genetically engineering the "perfect" children.

True, I also kind of felt touched by the notion of imperfection. It kind of made me realize the "perfection of imperfection" and how much better it is that we are full of flaws.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:29:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 11:48:58 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I saw that movie in high school. Meh.

Didn't like it?
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:14:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 9:29:45 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 1/25/2012 11:17:06 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I've seen it and I think it really addresses the issue of genetic engineering in an interesting way. I could see a lot of those same issues potentially popping up if we were to start genetically engineering the "perfect" children.

True, I also kind of felt touched by the notion of imperfection. It kind of made me realize the "perfection of imperfection" and how much better it is that we are full of flaws.

Yes. I think we were intended to have flaws. If God wanted us to be perfect then we would have been designed as such. Anyway, away from religion for a bit...

Genetic engineering could easily be a slippery slope. It could potentially cure serious genetic defects, but what would stop people from using it in other ways?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 7:05:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 10:41:20 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I just recently so a movie in class called Gattaca. Probably one of the most mind-blowing movies I've seen so far. It's along the lines of Inception, Matrix, and the Adjustment Bureau. "Gattaca" is a play on the bases for DNA..ex. guanine, adenine, thymine, cytosine...anybody seen it? Thoughts?:

Yes, and I've often cited it as an example of genetic discrimination.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)