Jump to topic:

Ideal next version of Star Trek

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 11:23:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
after Enterprise star trek seems to have come to an end for new additions to the Mythos. any other future installments seem to be relaunches of old characters in new time-line-universes.

But if they ever did another addition to star trek heres my ideal source for casting it.

characters from Eurecka and Warehouse 3. make Jack Carter the captin of the next enterprise, make Claudia a part of some kind

it worked out so well making Sam Becket quantum leap into the trek universe, so why not pull more actors from other favored syfi type shows.

Captin- Jack Carter (eureaka)
#1- John Lock (LOST)
#2 Cloe (Smalville)
Vulcan Security chief-- Stan (Aaron Stone)
Engineer-- Gary (Early Edition)
Science officer- Hiro (Heros)
Regular Henson- Claudia (WareHouse 13)
Doctor- Eli (Eli Stone)

steal all the actors that made any of those shows work and put them on the same enterprise and you have an awesome star treck worthy of succeeding Next Generation and the Original Series.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 9:41:35 AM
At 2/15/2012 11:23:25 AM, Marauder wrote:
after Enterprise star trek seems to have come to an end for new additions to the Mythos. any other future installments seem to be relaunches of old characters in new time-line-universes.

But if they ever did another addition to star trek heres my ideal source for casting it.

characters from Eurecka and Warehouse 3. make Jack Carter the captin of the next enterprise, make Claudia a part of some kind

it worked out so well making Sam Becket quantum leap into the trek universe, so why not pull more actors from other favored syfi type shows.

#1- John Lock (LOST)
#2 Cloe (Smalville)
Doctor- Eli (Eli Stone)

steal all the actors that made any of those shows work and put them on the same enterprise and you have an awesome star treck worthy of succeeding Next Generation and the Original Series.

You... are aware they made a Star trek movie that made millions and are making another unnamed star trek movie with the same cast, right?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:23:06 PM

#1- John Lock (LOST)
#2 Cloe (Smalville)
Doctor- Eli (Eli Stone)

I love Star Trek but that is a terrible idea. The best shows (and movies, for that matter) are ones where you become completely absorbed in the characters and their motivations. That is a lot less effective when you recognize the actors from previous works, especially if those works are similar in nature.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 12:01:18 AM
At 2/16/2012 9:41:35 AM, tkubok wrote:

#1- John Lock (LOST)
#2 Cloe (Smalville)
Doctor- Eli (Eli Stone)

You... are aware they made a Star trek movie that made millions and are making another unnamed star trek movie with the same cast, right?

yes, I know that. and while the movie was good and I look foward to the next its not the same as a continuation of the shows. the movie takes place in a alternate timeline reality thus treki-scintifically not counting as part of main star treck universe.

while the movies using older characters is alive and kicking the show has pretty much died with captin archer. it made it 3 seasons and they are not making anymore for while it seems.

the movies have kirk and spok, and while I love kirk and spok, I have seen them already done by the 'original mcoys' (ha, ha).
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 12:15:42 AM
At 2/16/2012 6:23:06 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I love Star Trek but that is a terrible idea. The best shows (and movies, for that matter) are ones where you become completely absorbed in the characters and their motivations. That is a lot less effective when you recognize the actors from previous works, especially if those works are similar in nature.

But it worked for using Quantum leap as the captin for Enterprise as archer pretty good. for the first season his character was played a lot like Sam Beckets too. and all of Quantim leaps fanbase is bound to overlap with trekies.

and I think the recognition only keeps you from getting absorbed initially. I was very much aware of Laforge being the guy on Reading Rainbow when I started watching star treck but as you watch the show more his character in star treck became what I recognized him for more than the first show I saw him on.

and same goes for Archer which is probably a much better example.

just think of it, sheriff of eureka being captain of the enterprise.

I don't know how much longer Eureka and Warehouse 13 are going to last but I don't want to see those characters go away. Hero's is already dead (and it should be that show got lamer and lamer, but Hiro was still a good character)

they technically did this some with the new treck movie when they made Sylar Spock.

A Scout is Obedient.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 12:16:20 PM
Star Trek Enterprise was absolutely horrible. Captain Archer's character was ridiculous and yes, recognizing him from Quantum Leap totally destroyed my ability to relate to him.

The success of characters from TNG, DS9, and Voyager was all reached by using fresh faces of really good actors that absorbed us into their characters. Probably the biggest face out there was Levar Burton from Reading Rainbow (unless you were a previous Patrick Stewart enthusiast). They should return to this formula and discover some brand-new talent like they did these three times and learn from the big mistake of Enterprise.

I would say the biggest problem with Trek right now however is the exhausted story line. 3 Original seasons, 7 TNG/DS9/Voy and 3 Enterprise (which I can't stomach enough to watch anyway) has left the ST universe pretty used up IMO. What else can they do with it? We already had wars with the Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans, Borg, Dominion, and even brought in a whole new quadrant worth of aliens. We had the lost ship, the space station, the flag ship, and the return to earlier storyline. Going back and reinventing the story line, like they are doing in the movies, is pretty much all they have left that will be fresh at all. If they make another Trek series, it will probably have to be based off this new story line to have any hope at all at something fresh.

I'm thinking one thing they haven't done is create a Federation of Planets which is not a major power in the quadrant. Using the loss of Vulcan as a base to work off of, they can make a universe where the Federation fell and the good guys (humans of course) are always fighting a lost battle against the more powerful alien species that moved into our space. It's sort of like the DS9 alternate timeline against the Alliance (Klingon/Cardassian). Perhaps they could even operate out of the Badlands like the Maquis and the series could end when they retake Earth, using help from various species along the way who have technology and manpower.
Rob
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 3:26:14 PM
At 2/18/2012 12:16:20 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Star Trek Enterprise was absolutely horrible. Captain Archer's character was ridiculous and yes, recognizing him from Quantum Leap totally destroyed my ability to relate to him.

The success of characters from TNG, DS9, and Voyager was all reached by using fresh faces of really good actors that absorbed us into their characters. Probably the biggest face out there was Levar Burton from Reading Rainbow (unless you were a previous Patrick Stewart enthusiast). They should return to this formula and discover some brand-new talent like they did these three times and learn from the big mistake of Enterprise.

I would say the biggest problem with Trek right now however is the exhausted story line. 3 Original seasons, 7 TNG/DS9/Voy and 3 Enterprise (which I can't stomach enough to watch anyway) has left the ST universe pretty used up IMO. What else can they do with it? We already had wars with the Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans, Borg, Dominion, and even brought in a whole new quadrant worth of aliens. We had the lost ship, the space station, the flag ship, and the return to earlier storyline. Going back and reinventing the story line, like they are doing in the movies, is pretty much all they have left that will be fresh at all. If they make another Trek series, it will probably have to be based off this new story line to have any hope at all at something fresh.

I'm thinking one thing they haven't done is create a Federation of Planets which is not a major power in the quadrant. Using the loss of Vulcan as a base to work off of, they can make a universe where the Federation fell and the good guys (humans of course) are always fighting a lost battle against the more powerful alien species that moved into our space. It's sort of like the DS9 alternate timeline against the Alliance (Klingon/Cardassian). Perhaps they could even operate out of the Badlands like the Maquis and the series could end when they retake Earth, using help from various species along the way who have technology and manpower.

Actually that sounds a lot like the Dominion war.

There are still good story lines in the books. Granted a lot are kind of trashy novellas but that's sort of the way Star Trek is. There was also an entire Romulan war in the early days that never gets attention, and how the Romulans and Klingons had some relationship of convenience. The problem is the time line, not the story lines. They would have a hard time moving forward in yet another Next Generation, but by returning to the beginning as they have there are tons of opportunity for really good stories while retaining a lot of that old flavor which is the best. They also never went too far into Section 31, the secret organization. Really there is a lot of material they can work with, they just don't need to muck it up with themes like transporting whales, or just silly stupid villains that no one really cares about.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 9:34:13 PM
At 2/18/2012 3:26:14 PM, innomen wrote:

There are still good story lines in the books. Granted a lot are kind of trashy novellas but that's sort of the way Star Trek is.
The 'Shatnerverse' books are the best, they wrap up the borg wars and tie off the 'Vejer' satalite from the first movie to them thus redeaming that movie just a little. It also goes deep into connecting the 'first federation' mentioned in 'the corbanite manuver' and the mirror universe and even explain how that universe resulted from Picards enterprises trip to Zeferan Cochrans time.
There was also an entire Romulan war in the early days that never gets attention, and how the Romulans and Klingons had some relationship of convenience. The problem is the time line, not the story lines. They would have a hard time moving forward in yet another Next Generation, but by returning to the beginning as they have there are tons of opportunity for really good stories while retaining a lot of that old flavor which is the best. They also never went too far into Section 31, the secret organization. Really there is a lot of material they can work with, they just don't need to muck it up with themes like transporting whales, or just silly stupid villains that no one really cares about.

yes, please no more whale stories. oddly enough though thats my moms favorite movie out of the trek movies, I think it must have the greatest 'chik flick' appeal to all the treck movies.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 9:47:45 PM
At 2/18/2012 12:16:20 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I dont think they have to completely stick with this new alternate timeline, the current main universes stories are not that exausted. the story could just press on with a future generation that takes place after TNG. theres always another quadrant they could add, or even another galaxy as stories using species from Andromeda have poped up infrequently throughout the series but never in depth.
and no matter what ship it is you mostly only get to see the lives of the officers. I would kind of like to see a season of trek that uses the 'lower decks' a lot more.

not to mention the Travlers stories wich have always left me curious for more as to what wesley became with them. there are so many god-like powered beings they run into in the universe that arnt even Q that it seems left to be told why so many normal level military power nations are not subject to them.

A Scout is Obedient.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 3:54:34 PM
At 2/19/2012 9:34:13 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 2/18/2012 3:26:14 PM, innomen wrote:

There are still good story lines in the books. Granted a lot are kind of trashy novellas but that's sort of the way Star Trek is.
The 'Shatnerverse' books are the best, they wrap up the borg wars and tie off the 'Vejer' satalite from the first movie to them thus redeaming that movie just a little. It also goes deep into connecting the 'first federation' mentioned in 'the corbanite manuver' and the mirror universe and even explain how that universe resulted from Picards enterprises trip to Zeferan Cochrans time.
There was also an entire Romulan war in the early days that never gets attention, and how the Romulans and Klingons had some relationship of convenience. The problem is the time line, not the story lines. They would have a hard time moving forward in yet another Next Generation, but by returning to the beginning as they have there are tons of opportunity for really good stories while retaining a lot of that old flavor which is the best. They also never went too far into Section 31, the secret organization. Really there is a lot of material they can work with, they just don't need to muck it up with themes like transporting whales, or just silly stupid villains that no one really cares about.

yes, please no more whale stories. oddly enough though thats my moms favorite movie out of the trek movies, I think it must have the greatest 'chik flick' appeal to all the treck movies.

I've not heard of the Shatner-verse, I'll definitely check it out. There are some decent books, and there are some really schlocky books. They do give the other side of the story as you describe, and much of that could be worked into a movie or tv show. I really miss some version of a new star trek tv show, and I'm desperate enough to watch pretty much anything they produce. I'm currently going through all of the episodes of Voyager again, and in some ways I think it's holding up better than the Next Generation.

I do sometimes wonder if this is a generational thing where the fan base is just dying off, and not being replaced.