Jump to topic:

Your Top Five Bands/Artists.

patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 8:08:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
As in, who do you think are the five best bands/artists ever? For me, it goes like this:

1: the Who.
2: Led Zeppelin.
3: Pink Floyd.
4: the Doors.
5: Bob Dylan.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 11:25:59 PM
A few safe bets (long-time faves) include:

Led Zeppelin, Portishead, Tool, Amy Winehouse and The Beatles.
President of DDO
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 12:16:52 AM
Hmmm...

1. The Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. Zep (I saw the opening show of Page and Plant's 2nd tour, where they actually played Zep, in Pensacola:)
4. The Boss
5. Tom Petty
6. Flock of Seagulls
Don't I take care of them all?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 1:25:49 AM
At 6/20/2009 1:19:31 AM, s0m31john wrote:
According to Last.fm (keeps track of everything I listen to).

Tegan and Sara
Daft Punk
Modest Mouse
Arcade Fire
Le Tigre

Do you like The Yeah Yeah Yeahs as well? Shiny Toy Guns? Citizen Cope? They seem relevant.
President of DDO
lil_Oreo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 3:57:22 AM
1. Metallica
2. Avenged Sevenfold (a7x)
3. Demon Hunter
4. 3oh!3 (yea thats right)
5. Red
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 9:23:14 AM
At 6/28/2009 8:58:32 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
1. The Cliks
2. CAKE
3. Motion City Soundtrack
4. The Who
5. Queen

So many more.

Cake is great!
When Reach fell, I came.
Bigfoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 8:55:15 AM
yeah cake is a pretty unique band inhabiting a world engulfed with monotony. but ive always wondered, why in the world the guy in "the distance" music video is running as opposed to driving a racecar as it is so easily implied?

alright my list.

1. Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (to this day cant decide which one i like better)
3. Muse ( the best band of this early millenium, with melodies to make floyd proud, and riffs/energy to make zeppelin proud)
4. Foo fighters
5. Eddie Vedder ( he only has one album i like, the soundtrack for into the wild, but that album alone should be enough to catapult him into anyones top five)

Those not quite good enough to make my list, but still worthy of an honorable mention include: The Who, Queen, The Beatles, Interpol, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Weezer amongst many others.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2009 2:52:53 PM
At 7/5/2009 8:55:15 AM, Bigfoot wrote:
yeah cake is a pretty unique band inhabiting a world engulfed with monotony. but ive always wondered, why in the world the guy in "the distance" music video is running as opposed to driving a racecar as it is so easily implied?

alright my list.

1. Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (to this day cant decide which one i like better)
3. Muse ( the best band of this early millenium, with melodies to make floyd proud, and riffs/energy to make zeppelin proud)
4. Foo fighters
5. Eddie Vedder ( he only has one album i like, the soundtrack for into the wild, but that album alone should be enough to catapult him into anyones top five)

Those not quite good enough to make my list, but still worthy of an honorable mention include: The Who, Queen, The Beatles, Interpol, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Weezer amongst many others.

I love Muse and Coldplay. You have great taste.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2009 3:58:20 PM
1. Canibus
2. Lamb of God
3. Jedi Mind Tricks
4. Immortal Technique
5. Metallica

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2009 9:32:08 PM
Metallica

Slayer

MC5

Metallica

Dizzee Rascal

I know dizzee really doesn't fit in here but him and wiley are just so damn good.
I do realize Metallica is on there twice, they are that good. I almost put Avenged Sevenfold or Judas Priest in there, but it felt empty with the greatest band of all time only being there once.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2009 11:18:52 AM
At 7/10/2009 2:52:53 PM, Osiris wrote:

I love Muse and Coldplay. You have great taste.

Don't feed his ego; he really has a big enough one already. Lol.
When Reach fell, I came.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 12:41:20 AM
1. Mozart (I tried playing some Mozart on my guitar today...it is ridiculously complex and difficult, but the music is so excellent)

2. Jason Becker (I will give the nod to him as best guitarist ever...I can only imagine what he would be doing now if he was still healthy...I love how he is so technical yet puts his heart into the music)

3. Diana Krall (She really copies Ella Fitzgerald a lot - and she does a lot of covers...but I think she is very talented and I like her style)

4. Frank Sinatra (Not only an amazing voice, but always seemed to have great bands behind him playing cool stuff)

5. Queensryche (especially their early albums like Operation Mindcrime and Rage For Order)

This was fun to do, but I didn't even get to include any blues musicians or big band...only 5 choices made it hard! :D
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 4:27:39 AM
At 7/19/2009 12:41:20 AM, heart_of_the_matter wrote:
1. Mozart (I tried playing some Mozart on my guitar today...it is ridiculously complex and difficult, but the music is so excellent)

2. Jason Becker (I will give the nod to him as best guitarist ever...I can only imagine what he would be doing now if he was still healthy...I love how he is so technical yet puts his heart into the music)

3. Diana Krall (She really copies Ella Fitzgerald a lot - and she does a lot of covers...but I think she is very talented and I like her style)

4. Frank Sinatra (Not only an amazing voice, but always seemed to have great bands behind him playing cool stuff)

5. Queensryche (especially their early albums like Operation Mindcrime and Rage For Order)

This was fun to do, but I didn't even get to include any blues musicians or big band...only 5 choices made it hard! :D

1. Nobody's denying that Mozart is fantastic; I love to listen to his stuff -- I just don't know if I could do it for long periods of time like I can with my other favorites. Do you like Lacrimosa?

2. Best guitarist ever? Really? I dunno about that. I'll have to think about it.

3. I love Diana Krall! Also I LOVE jazz and big band lol I write a lot of blues and whatnot, actually.

4. Frank Sinatra's the man. Werd. I love Dean Martin too : )

5. ... Who?
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 4:34:03 AM
EDIT-- I'll list my Top 10 instead of just 5:

Led Zeppelin, Portishead, Tool, Amy Winehouse and The Beatles.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Zero 7, The Shins, Nine Inch Nails and Madonna.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 4:35:06 AM
At 7/5/2009 8:55:15 AM, Bigfoot wrote:

alright my list.

4. Foo fighters

1. Led Zeppelin > Pink Floyd
2. Muse is AWESOME, though they're a little over-rated...
President of DDO
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 3:05:07 PM
At 7/19/2009 4:27:39 AM, theLwerd wrote:
1. Nobody's denying that Mozart is fantastic; I love to listen to his stuff -- I just don't know if I could do it for long periods of time like I can with my other favorites. Do you like Lacrimosa?

Yes I like Lacrimosa thanks! That one isn't as technical, but it is also very good!...I was trying to play "Turkish March" that day...

2. Best guitarist ever? Really? I dunno about that. I'll have to think about it.
Ok here is a link to one of his songs...he is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, but he has more feeling and his solos are really saying something...
Temple of the Absurd:

of course it is a personal matter in who is "best" I guess....

3. I love Diana Krall! Also I LOVE jazz and big band lol I write a lot of blues and whatnot, actually.

I love her music too...she is actually playing here in San Diego August 9 and I want to see her!

You have written some stuff! Cool! Any way to hear any of your stuff?

4. Frank Sinatra's the man. Werd. I love Dean Martin too : )
I like Dean Martin too - thanks for the reminder

5. ... Who?
Queensryche is an old rock band...they were very innovative though...Geoff Tate -the lead singer has an amazing voice and they have really solid song writing and production...everything is razor sharp.

Here is one of their songs from Operation Mindcrime: "Suite Sister Mary" - the album is actually a "concept album" the album tells a story and has characters etc...very innovative stuff for its time

Here is one from "Rage For Order" - different stuff you don't hear every day, but very interesting and musically sound.
"Screaming in Digital" -
(sounds a bit different live here, but pretty accurate)

their old stuff seems to be a lot better, but I haven't kept up with all their new stuff...they do have some new stuff that is pretty cool too though like "The Hands"

I listened to that stuff more than the blues/ jazz/ big band so I put that for my #5.