Jump to topic:

Why do you like horror films?

Anayansi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:10:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I like horror films: zombies, vampires, exorcism, aliens, evil viruses, you name it. None of my female friends like horror movies and they wonder why would someone put themselves through that.
My answer: no matter how bad your life is at this moment, when you watch the main character of the movie being chased by zombies who want to eat his brain, you think, "hey! my life is not that bad". Horror movies help you put things in perspective. What is worse? being locked in a spaceship with an ugly murderous alien, or not meeting the deadline for the project at the office? Obviously the alien is worse! And if the horror movie has a happy ending, you know that your present tribulations will have a happy ending too.

By the way, this is my first post, treat me kindly if you think I am too silly. :D
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:17:31 PM
At 2/23/2012 6:10:13 PM, Anayansi wrote:
I like horror films: zombies, vampires, exorcism, aliens, evil viruses, you name it. None of my female friends like horror movies and they wonder why would someone put themselves through that.
My answer: no matter how bad your life is at this moment, when you watch the main character of the movie being chased by zombies who want to eat his brain, you think, "hey! my life is not that bad". Horror movies help you put things in perspective. What is worse? being locked in a spaceship with an ugly murderous alien, or not meeting the deadline for the project at the office? Obviously the alien is worse! And if the horror movie has a happy ending, you know that your present tribulations will have a happy ending too.

By the way, this is my first post, treat me kindly if you think I am too silly. :D

Welcome to DDO Anayansi!
I am a huge fan of horror movies and have been since I was quite young. When I was younger, horror movies were sort of a taboo to me, you know? Like the horror movie section at the local video library was in a corner, it was a bit darker and was full of these scary covers... I remember being anxious just being in that section.
And the fear! I remember being so scared watching things like Nightmare on Elm St, Evil Dead, The Thing and The Shining (never thought The Exorcist was scary... probably because I was brought up as an Atheist.)
These days it takes a lot to scare me; the last movie I remember being truly scared in was The Ring, but Insidious and Grave Encounters were quite creepy as well and made the hair stand up on my neck on more than one occasion
I suppose I just love the tone set in such movies. A good horror movie reminds me of my childhood. Let the Right One In comes to mind as a brilliant recent horror movie (Let Me In was 90% as good, which is outstanding for a Hollywood remake).

Also, I have a bit of an obsession with Zombies. I don't know what that stems from... It's by far my favourite sub-genre of horror. I think it relates to my experience playing Resident Evil as a young teen. God that game scared the sh!t out of me.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Anayansi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:46:07 PM
At 2/23/2012 6:17:31 PM, tvellalott wrote:
A good horror movie reminds me of my childhood. Let the Right One In comes to mind as a brilliant recent horror movie (Let Me In was 90% as good, which is outstanding for a Hollywood remake).

Also, I have a bit of an obsession with Zombies. I don't know what that stems from... It's by far my favourite sub-genre of horror. I think it relates to my experience playing Resident Evil as a young teen. God that game scared the sh!t out of me.

Horror movies also remind me of my childhood, specially vampire movies. Zombie movies like The Serpent and The Rainbow, and of course 28 Days Later are among my top 10.

I guess I like being scared. :p
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:49:16 PM
At 2/23/2012 6:46:07 PM, Anayansi wrote:
Horror movies also remind me of my childhood, specially vampire movies. Zombie movies like The Serpent and The Rainbow, and of course 28 Days Later are among my top 10.

I guess I like being scared. :p

Wow, The Serpent and the Rainbow. You know I saw that movie when I was like 10? I haven't seen it for 15 years... *suddenly feels old*
28 Days Later is among the best Zombie movies ever in my opinion, though not as good as the Dawn of the Dead remake which rivals the original imho.

Did you see Fido? That surprised my with how good it was.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Anayansi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 11:24:04 PM
At 2/23/2012 6:49:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Did you see Fido? That surprised my with how good it was.

I never heard of Fido before, I was able to google it, sounds so much fun.