Jump to topic:

Hunger games ****possible spoiler alert****

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 11:02:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just saw this movie, and it was AWESOME.

I give it a solid 10/10.

This movie was put together fantastically, which is surprising, because generally it is hard to put a book into a movie.

Points I give the movie are as follow:

Closeness to the book: 10/10

They put in everything down to the last detail in the book. I feared that they would have to cut some stuff out, but thankfully pretty much everything was covered.

Similarites to the book: 10/10

Pretty much everything that was displayed in the movie fell in line with how I pictured things happening in the book. They made it very realistic and enticing.
Character rendition was perfect. They did a fantastic job at portraying the need to know information that katniss often describes in the narrative. They did this with out subsequent mind talk, and explained things well.

Emotional aspect: 10/10

They did a fantastic job here as well. The same excitement I experienced when reading the book was revived upon watching this film. I could feel Katniss's nervousness and intimidation as she was entered into the arena. I could feel the passion, despair, and anger when Rue was killed. The whole movie had me on my toes, even though I already knew what would happen.

Portrayal was amazing. Fantastic movie, and I am sure that people will experience a hunger (pun intended) for the sequel.
I definitely put this movie on my top ten, even next to all the quentin tarantino movies I have come to love so dearly.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 11:19:38 PM
At 3/23/2012 11:05:12 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
niiiiice. maybe i will check it out. how was the gore? was it realistic?

That's the only thing they went easy on. They showed a little bit of blood here and there, Glimmers fvcked up face after thorn beats the sh1t out of her, and the girl from district one's face after being stung by the tracker jackers.

Other than that only the small cuts and minor gore.

They gotta keep it kid friendly lol
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 12:04:56 AM
At 3/23/2012 11:53:21 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Is is good even if you havent read the books?

Definitely. Saw it with my dad, and he loved it. Which says a lot, because he is always over critique-full (if that's a word).
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:30:53 PM
I loved it too (saw it yesterday), and still do. However, I listened to the 40 min Spill audio review, and that helped me realize the flaws. Even though it was really really good, I think the way it was made makes it so that if you didn't read book 1, there are a lot of gaps that you can't fill in. Sure, they added stuff, like the scenes between Snow and Crane (seriously--does Snow do nothing but pick roses all day?) which were great, and the Gamemakers' room, which was also great, but I feel like there are things that one can't get from the movie which makes it hard to follow. It's like they were trying to remain faithful to the books, but had to skip over a bunch of stuff.

That's only one criticism of several. All in all, I loved it--but I think to make the leap from good to great, one REALLY needs to read the book.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:06:21 AM
At 3/24/2012 7:30:53 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I loved it too (saw it yesterday), and still do. However, I listened to the 40 min Spill audio review, and that helped me realize the flaws. Even though it was really really good, I think the way it was made makes it so that if you didn't read book 1, there are a lot of gaps that you can't fill in. Sure, they added stuff, like the scenes between Snow and Crane (seriously--does Snow do nothing but pick roses all day?) which were great, and the Gamemakers' room, which was also great, but I feel like there are things that one can't get from the movie which makes it hard to follow. It's like they were trying to remain faithful to the books, but had to skip over a bunch of stuff.

What stuff did they skip over??

That's only one criticism of several. All in all, I loved it--but I think to make the leap from good to great, one REALLY needs to read the book.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 3:22:34 AM
I saw it as well and while I haven't read the books, the movie was fantastic. The actors were outstanding particularly The main character and as always Woody Harrelson was perfect. Suzanne Collins, the author of the book, also worked on the script which would explain why it was so good while some book to movie transitions fall flat
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 7:45:54 AM
I saw it during the spring brake. Now that they've show the first they need to show the rest.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 11:03:22 AM
Snow's scenes added in the movie that were not in the book were awesome, especially when he says, "a little hope is good, a lot of hope is disaterous."

I understand why they changed the origin of the mockingjay pin, the meaning was not totally lost.

I wished they would have invested 3 minutes of film time to show that Cinna was a closet rebel against the games (it was his idea for the hand holding not Peeta), also 1 minute to explain Haymitch's drinking due to the countless deaths from the tributes of his district.

I also don't think they portrayed Katniss as being pessimistic (bitchy?) enough; but I guess what made her bad for popularity in the fictional Hunger Games also would also have been bad for the Box Office :P.

from the book:
"Whose idea was the hand holding?" asks Haymitch.
"Cinna's," says Portia.
"Just the perfect touch of rebellion," says Haymitch.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 4:11:38 PM
At 3/23/2012 11:02:44 PM, TUF wrote:

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie.

So, if according to you, the movie has most of everything in the book, I have certain questions that the movie doesn't seem to address.

Did I miss something?

Here are the questions:

1. Why are the people in the city wearing such weird clothes and have such weird hairstyles and facial make-up?

2. How are the people in the districts being kept under control, so much so that they appear to be mindless slaves?

3. Why are there the Hunger Games?

4. The people in the city seem to be able to create animals/trees at will. So, why do they need the people in the districts as slaves? What benefits are they getting from them?

5. How are the people in the districts forced to watch the Hunger Games?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 4:55:57 PM
About to see this movie in about a half-hour
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 5:31:38 PM
At 3/27/2012 4:11:38 PM, Indophile wrote:

So, if according to you, the movie has most of everything in the book, I have certain questions that the movie doesn't seem to address.

Did I miss something?

Here are the questions:

1. Why are the people in the city wearing such weird clothes and have such weird hairstyles and facial make-up?

This is a conceptual society, not our society. The author has created an entirely seperate society from ours, in a future like region, where that kind of dress and behavior is the norm.

2. How are the people in the districts being kept under control, so much so that they appear to be mindless slaves?

Peacekeepers are severe and strict with rules. The only work they have is whatever is being controlled in their area of the disctricy. In 12 it's mining. They get paid very little, and sometimes the only way to get more money and food is to put your name in the drawing multiple times. For example in the beggining of the movie, gale says his name is in their 43 times. The books mentions that katniss's is in there 23 times. Offering up their lives to probability sometimes is the only way to survive. They aren't mindless slaves, and aren't portayed as such. They are portayed as controlled, poverty stricken, and desperate.

As a form of keeping control over the districts. Snow explains this a little bit in one of the garden scenes. It's to prevent rebellion, and show the districts they are in control. He brings up a scenario in the movie "Why don't we just line up 24 people and publicy execute them? It's because of hope."

Snow feels people won't rebel if they have hope for their children surviving the games.

4. The people in the city seem to be able to create animals/trees at will. So, why do they need the people in the districts as slaves? What benefits are they getting from them?

They can't really make those things everywhere. They seem to only be operated from the hunger games. The movie went a little far with the part where seneca crane says "Give me a tree there". They can create fire balls with presumably machines, and those dogs, off of machines as well. The book never actually explains how this is done, I would think optical illusions.

Peace keepers allow the holographic video machines in all the peoples homes, and publicly in the streets. Gale was able to get away with not watching them though, as you see in the start of the games. So they probably don't enforce it too much.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 5:43:22 PM
At 3/27/2012 5:31:38 PM, TUF wrote:

Did I miss something?

Here are the questions:

This is a conceptual society, not our society. The author has created an entirely seperate society from ours, in a future like region, where that kind of dress and behavior is the norm.

Oh. It's the future. People wear weird clothes. I see.

Peacekeepers are severe and strict with rules. The only work they have is whatever is being controlled in their area of the disctricy. In 12 it's mining. They get paid very little, and sometimes the only way to get more money and food is to put your name in the drawing multiple times. For example in the beggining of the movie, gale says his name is in their 43 times. The books mentions that katniss's is in there 23 times. Offering up their lives to probability sometimes is the only way to survive. They aren't mindless slaves, and aren't portayed as such. They are portayed as controlled, poverty stricken, and desperate.

Well, the movie did not show anything of this sort happening. And the one occasion when some district's people rebelled, when that little girl is buried or something, they seem to have overpowered the peace-keepers.

So, they are just using force? Hard to believe that people will let their kids just die like that, without any mind control.

As a form of keeping control over the districts. Snow explains this a little bit in one of the garden scenes. It's to prevent rebellion, and show the districts they are in control. He brings up a scenario in the movie "Why don't we just line up 24 people and publicy execute them? It's because of hope."

Snow feels people won't rebel if they have hope for their children surviving the games.

Does this make sense? :) If the people in the districts were mind-controlled, then yes. Are you sure there's no such thing going on?

They can't really make those things everywhere. They seem to only be operated from the hunger games. The movie went a little far with the part where seneca crane says "Give me a tree there". They can create fire balls with presumably machines, and those dogs, off of machines as well. The book never actually explains how this is done, I would think optical illusions.

Ok. The city people have such advanced technology, and yet they need the people in the districts. What for?

Peace keepers allow the holographic video machines in all the peoples homes, and publicly in the streets. Gale was able to get away with not watching them though, as you see in the start of the games. So they probably don't enforce it too much.

I remember somebody in the movie saying that you just stop watching the games, and there will be no more games. But it seems that people are watching it. They even showed a scene where a large group is standing in the streets in front of a billboard watching that little girl die and get buried. They are there by their own choice?
And it will be true.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 5:49:45 PM
This may sound horrible, but I was happy they actually showed kids being killed. I was expecting a cheezy "Oh that kid died, the end."
kfc
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 8:17:01 PM
I think that the Hunger Games-both the book and the movie-is just another one of those stupid stories that people make up that is just a useless waste of time to read or watch. I suggest spending this time reading a non-fiction book such as the Principia by Issac Newton or if you want a more recent book, the Encyclopedia of Military Strategy, or probably the most beneficiary, any book on World History. For those who must read fiction, one can read one of Shakespeare's many plays or read the Illad and the Oddessy by Homer (this is semi-fiction and the passages in the book are subject to debate over their realness, but still, it is a great read). Learn to use your time wisely reading things that will advance you in your life and not read or watch moives that will have no effect on your future.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 8:35:57 PM
At 3/27/2012 8:17:01 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
I think that the Hunger Games-both the book and the movie-is just another one of those stupid stories that people make up that is just a useless waste of time to read or watch. I suggest spending this time reading a non-fiction book such as the Principia by Issac Newton or if you want a more recent book, the Encyclopedia of Military Strategy, or probably the most beneficiary, any book on World History. For those who must read fiction, one can read one of Shakespeare's many plays or read the Illad and the Oddessy by Homer (this is semi-fiction and the passages in the book are subject to debate over their realness, but still, it is a great read). Learn to use your time wisely reading things that will advance you in your life and not read or watch moives that will have no effect on your future.

So even if people enjoy reading these sorts of stories, they shouldn't because it's simply escapism? Damn... there goes the entire entertainment industry.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 8:41:12 PM
was i the only one who thought the camerawork was sh*tty? They could not hold the camera still in the beginning of the movie i almost got a migrane because of it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 8:43:17 PM
At 3/27/2012 8:35:57 PM, tvellalott wrote:

So even if people enjoy reading these sorts of stories, they shouldn't because it's simply escapism? Damn... there goes the entire entertainment industry.

How will this story advance your life? In fact, it will de-advance your life for lack of a better word. And yes, the entire (or most) of the entertainment industry is writing stupid stories like this that de-advance your life.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 8:51:54 PM

So--fiction offers us no insight into the human experience? And, if the answer to that is yes, then we shouldn't waste our time trying to understand humans through art?

I could go on a rant about the value of fiction, but I'll restrain myself.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 8:57:52 PM

Do you have any proof that in our lifetimes, a "oh sh!t" societal moment won't happen and everybody won't descend into anarchy and they won't fight to their deaths?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 9:07:37 PM
At 3/27/2012 8:41:12 PM, imabench wrote:
was i the only one who thought the camerawork was sh*tty? They could not hold the camera still in the beginning of the movie i almost got a migrane because of it

The film as a whole fails on so many levels, least in telling a story.

But since it's so obviously aimed at specifically those teenage girls who don't know about these things, I give it a pass.

It's pointless analyzing a movie that has no ambitions.
And it will be true.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 9:35:14 PM
At 3/27/2012 9:07:37 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 3/27/2012 8:41:12 PM, imabench wrote:

The film as a whole fails on so many levels, least in telling a story.

But since it's so obviously aimed at specifically those teenage girls who don't know about these things, I give it a pass.

It's pointless analyzing a movie that has no ambitions.

Shaky cameras simulate nervousness.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2012 9:47:05 PM
At 3/27/2012 5:43:22 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 3/27/2012 5:31:38 PM, TUF wrote:

Did I miss something?

Here are the questions:

Oh. It's the future. People wear weird clothes. I see.

I think the idea for it was to make stark contrast between the districts and the Capitol. Too show how set apart they are.

Well, the movie did not show anything of this sort happening. And the one occasion when some district's people rebelled, when that little girl is buried or something, they seem to have overpowered the peace-keepers.

So, they are just using force? Hard to believe that people will let their kids just die like that, without any mind control.

They were forced into it almost a century ago. And, if they resist, even more will die. It come to the point were its a way of life for them almost. In fact, in some districts, it's sorta like an honor to fight for your district in the Hunger Games.

Does this make sense? :) If the people in the districts were mind-controlled, then yes. Are you sure there's no such thing going on?

Yes, we are quite sure. They are strongly overwhelmed power wise, so there is no point in rebelling almost, but the slight amount of hope makes them sorta stay in a limbo of rebellion. Its almost like winning the Games is a form of rebellion for them.

Ok. The city people have such advanced technology, and yet they need the people in the districts. What for?

So that they don't have to work the machines, or do whatever. I think, because the districts have such a high population, in order to occupy the whole population, they force them to work, instead of say, plan.

I remember somebody in the movie saying that you just stop watching the games, and there will be no more games. But it seems that people are watching it. They even showed a scene where a large group is standing in the streets in front of a billboard watching that little girl die and get buried. They are there by their own choice?

Yes, and no. I know that the kids watch replays of the games during lunch, and school, and that everyone is at some point, forced to see the deaths.

It's sorta like a, you hate to watch, but to not would be worse thing.

I'm not sure how much the rule is enforced overall though, depends on the district.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2012 7:08:10 AM
At 3/27/2012 8:51:54 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

So--fiction offers us no insight into the human experience? And, if the answer to that is yes, then we shouldn't waste our time trying to understand humans through art?

I could go on a rant about the value of fiction, but I'll restrain myself.

Literature does, like Homer's epics or Shakespeare. But this is not literature, it is useless fiction junk.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2012 7:08:41 AM
At 3/27/2012 8:57:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Do you have any proof that in our lifetimes, a "oh sh!t" societal moment won't happen and everybody won't descend into anarchy and they won't fight to their deaths?

What? What soes this have to do with my original post?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2012 10:50:04 AM
At 3/28/2012 7:08:41 AM, Ron-Paul wrote:

Apparently reading Shakespeare does not improve your reading comprehension.

How peculiar...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2012 12:07:50 PM
At 3/28/2012 10:50:04 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/28/2012 7:08:41 AM, Ron-Paul wrote:

It dosen't? Shakespeare is literature, the Hunger Games story is junk.
How peculiar...

Yeah, it's peculiar how stupid and uncultural you are.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2012 12:15:58 PM

It dosen't? Shakespeare is literature, the Hunger Games story is junk.
How peculiar...

Yeah, it's peculiar how stupid and uncultural you are.

I don't know anything about the hunger games Ron Paul.. But value is subjective.. and criticizing others personal taste is as pointless as anything else you can come up with...
Debate.org Moderator