Jump to topic:

Mainstream Anime

JohnForester
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 2:57:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does anyone else ever get tired of 'mainstream anime'? I hate using the term mainstream, because it makes me sound like a wanna-be or something, but I'm afraid I must. Here's something that went down earlier today that irked me:

Me: Wow, Clannad is on this list as one of the top anime!
Friend: Never heard of it. I bet One Piece is better.
Me: Well, Clannad is a lot shorter, and totally different from One Piece. Still my favorite though.
Friend: *looks up Clannad* This only has like, 26 episodes. Do they fight in it?
Me: Uh, no. It's a school-life, drama, comedy, romance sort of thing.
Friend: Nah, sounds stupid. It can't be good if it's that short. It probably got cancelled or something.
Me: ...*slowly stab*

That last bit was in my imagination, but still. People are rediculous with believing Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Death Note, etc., etc., are the only good anime out there. Sure, I am a Naruto fan myself, but I know for a fact that it's not the best there is. It's quite annoying that the most people define 'anime' as "Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, Dragonball Z"...

Not to mention the fact that they're stubborn and never watch any anime but the mainstream ones! I just wish they'd end them all soon, because it's pretty rediculous, and is disgraceful to all of the beautiful animes out there that are overshadowed by these endless, pointless anime that'll go on for thousands of episodes.
Squiggle~
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 3:16:06 PM
Well, I would guess one reason that they are so popular is because they are good.

Now, I myself do not watch anime much, ceot for Avatar, but what I will say is that just because YOU do not think it is the best, and because YOUR favorite animus are short, and unpopular, does not mean that the popular ones are automatically bad, and should be ended.

There is a reason things a popular, and a lot of times it has to do with quality.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 4:06:12 PM
Speaking as a japanese and a translator, no, ive never liked mainstream japanese anime, if we are calling anime that goes on for more than 50 episodes, as mainstream. Infact, i cannot stand anime which are based off of Manga and for the most part, consider the Manga to be far superior and the master race to its anime sh*t counterpart with few exceptions. I have watched one episode of bleach, one episode of One peice, etc and thats it.

But then again, i did enjoy many of the Gundam series, as well as GITS, which are both popular, so im not sure if these are considered mainstream or not.
JohnForester
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 4:13:40 PM
At 3/25/2012 3:16:06 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, I would guess one reason that they are so popular is because they are good.

Now, I myself do not watch anime much, ceot for Avatar, but what I will say is that just because YOU do not think it is the best, and because YOUR favorite animus are short, and unpopular, does not mean that the popular ones are automatically bad, and should be ended.

There is a reason things a popular, and a lot of times it has to do with quality.

I never said that they were bad, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

The whole thing is just ridiculous, because mainstream anime is what 90% of people think of when someone says 'anime'. It makes people think, "Oh, well, all other anime must suck if not everybody has seen it."
Squiggle~
JohnForester
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 4:17:25 PM
At 3/25/2012 4:06:12 PM, tkubok wrote:
Speaking as a japanese and a translator, no, ive never liked mainstream japanese anime, if we are calling anime that goes on for more than 50 episodes, as mainstream. Infact, i cannot stand anime which are based off of Manga and for the most part, consider the Manga to be far superior and the master race to its anime sh*t counterpart with few exceptions. I have watched one episode of bleach, one episode of One peice, etc and thats it.

But then again, i did enjoy many of the Gundam series, as well as GITS, which are both popular, so im not sure if these are considered mainstream or not.

I consider 'mainstream' to be any anime that is over-rated and, yes, they are usually ongoing. Now, they might be good, but they block every other great anime out there, so nobody gives anything else a shot.

I only read Naruto manga, but, you know, I grew up reading Naruto manga. I don't really enjoy reading other mangas, and I have no problem with animes based off of mangas pretty much because of that fact. Just like how I don't mind movie based off of a video game or book, as long as it's good.

As for Gundam, it's debatable whether that could be mainstream. It was popular, but I honestly have never heard anyone talking about it. More of a fad anime than anything else.
Squiggle~
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 8:28:33 PM
At 3/25/2012 2:57:34 PM, JohnForester wrote:
Does anyone else ever get tired of 'mainstream anime'? I hate using the term mainstream, because it makes me sound like a wanna-be or something, but I'm afraid I must. Here's something that went down earlier today that irked me:

Me: Wow, Clannad is on this list as one of the top anime!
Friend: Never heard of it. I bet One Piece is better.
Me: Well, Clannad is a lot shorter, and totally different from One Piece. Still my favorite though.
Friend: *looks up Clannad* This only has like, 26 episodes. Do they fight in it?
Me: Uh, no. It's a school-life, drama, comedy, romance sort of thing.
Friend: Nah, sounds stupid. It can't be good if it's that short. It probably got cancelled or something.
Me: ...*slowly stab*

That last bit was in my imagination, but still. People are rediculous with believing Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Death Note, etc., etc., are the only good anime out there. Sure, I am a Naruto fan myself, but I know for a fact that it's not the best there is. It's quite annoying that the most people define 'anime' as "Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, Dragonball Z"...

Not to mention the fact that they're stubborn and never watch any anime but the mainstream ones! I just wish they'd end them all soon, because it's pretty rediculous, and is disgraceful to all of the beautiful animes out there that are overshadowed by these endless, pointless anime that'll go on for thousands of episodes.

Actually yeah, youve got a point. I dont watch any of the famous Anime or should say I havnt since I was like 10. I watch all these incredibly rarely known Anime that is still incredibly romantic and amazing.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:43:19 AM
At 3/25/2012 4:06:12 PM, tkubok wrote:
Infact, i cannot stand anime which are based off of Manga and for the most part, consider the Manga to be far superior and the master race to its anime sh*t counterpart with few exceptions. I have watched one episode of bleach, one episode of One peice, etc and thats it.

I 1k% agree.