Jump to topic:

Harry Potter &the Half Blood Prince

Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2009 11:03:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
In reference to the movie, what are your opinions about the way it was directed, the acting, and the overall storyline?

I've never read any of the books in the series, but I have read several summaries and I feel like this movie lacked action and kind of had a disjointed story.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 12:01:37 PM
I have read all the books.

I felt as though the movie was well directed and well acted, probably 3 stars, might even get 4, however.... I personally, did not like the movie. It lacked action and it lacked magic. In the film, at the end, the death eaters come into Hogwarts without a fight. But, in the book, there was a battle (Order of the Phoenix and Hogwarts Students/Professors vs. Death Eaters, the Death Eaters won). The battle would have looked great in the movie.

The 6th book/movie is just supposed to set up for the last book/movie. The 6th book/movie pretty much tells about Voldemort's (gasp! I said his name) past and lays out to the reader on how Harry and the Order of the Phoenix are supposed to defeat Voldemort and the Death Eaters. (They have to find and destory the horcruxes.) The last book is split into two seperate films, because it is so long, coming out in 2010 and 2011. The last book has a lot of action, especially the end, with the epic battle at Hogwarts, it should be good.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 12:54:36 PM
At 7/16/2009 12:01:37 PM, Nags wrote:
I have read all the books.

I felt as though the movie was well directed and well acted, probably 3 stars, might even get 4, however.... I personally, did not like the movie. It lacked action and it lacked magic. In the film, at the end, the death eaters come into Hogwarts without a fight. But, in the book, there was a battle (Order of the Phoenix and Hogwarts Students/Professors vs. Death Eaters, the Death Eaters won). The battle would have looked great in the movie.

The 6th book/movie is just supposed to set up for the last book/movie. The 6th book/movie pretty much tells about Voldemort's (gasp! I said his name) past and lays out to the reader on how Harry and the Order of the Phoenix are supposed to defeat Voldemort and the Death Eaters. (They have to find and destory the horcruxes.) The last book is split into two seperate films, because it is so long, coming out in 2010 and 2011. The last book has a lot of action, especially the end, with the epic battle at Hogwarts, it should be good.

I agree. This movie wasn't as magical. Also the final scene was so short. You would think that Dumbledore's death and the events that followed would've been more dramatic and action packed, but no. He died, the deatheaters broke a few windows, they cried, the end.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 12:56:53 PM
At 7/16/2009 12:25:11 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Seriously Osiris, do a debate!

Why do you care? When I find that I have enough time to devote to a meaningful and interesting debate I will.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2009 8:50:45 PM
my friends all got tickets in advance for 3 AM showing. THey asked me to go that night so i figured i'd come along. THey were sold out, so i was stuck at the theater at 3 AM with no one else around. So my friend let me use her car.
Still sucked.
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 4:51:36 AM
I still haven't read or seen any Harry Potter. I've tried on numerous occasions, but it can't keep my friggin attention. I dunno why not since it's apparently so great. I guess I'll keep trying...?
President of DDO
Achidnagar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 1:38:46 PM
Quite a good movie. Probably the best so far, except perhaps for Goblet of Fire. Some of the plot changes/additions were disappointing and detracted from it, but I think that removing the battle from the end will make Deathly Hallows 2 far more original. My biggest disappointment was that Dumbledore appeared to be disarmed by Draco as a result of his own weakness. That is not the case; he is disarmed because he is saving Harry. A totally unnecessary change.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 1:55:04 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but I've read the books. Half Blood Prince is the second weakest book of the series (the very weakest being Deathly Hallows). Anyway, there are a lot of things I didn't like about Half Blood Prince, but my primary dislike was the romance focus, given that Rolling couldn't write romance to save her life. Not to mention that Harry/Hermoine should have happened. :)
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 2:00:26 PM
At 7/20/2009 1:55:04 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I haven't seen the movie, but I've read the books. Half Blood Prince is the second weakest book of the series (the very weakest being Deathly Hallows). Anyway, there are a lot of things I didn't like about Half Blood Prince, but my primary dislike was the romance focus, given that Rolling couldn't write romance to save her life. Not to mention that Harry/Hermoine should have happened. :)

You thought the Deathly Hallows was the worst book? Wow. I couldn't put that book down. I thought the Half Blood Prince was a really good book too.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 2:36:59 PM
The battle wasn't shown as not to have repetition in the 7th film. I felt it was a good film. I liked the coming of age bit with Ron and Hermoine. However, good characters like Hagrid & The Dursleys were left out, sadly.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 3:30:47 PM
At 7/20/2009 1:55:04 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

I agree. During the movie, the whole romance between all of the students was kind of distracting from the story.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 3:32:13 PM
At 7/19/2009 4:51:36 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I still haven't read or seen any Harry Potter. I've tried on numerous occasions, but it can't keep my friggin attention. I dunno why not since it's apparently so great. I guess I'll keep trying...?

Not into fantasy and fiction?
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 3:18:49 PM
It is my favorite book of the series and, quite clearly, the best movie of the series so far. I just saw it for a second time today, in fact.

"Phoenix" was the best movie until this one was released. Yates knows how to omit the unnecessary and keep an aesthetic appeal for both the avid readers/fans and random movie-goers.