The Avengers

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 6:08:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is my short review and it WILL CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS

I had seen Captain America, Iron Man 1 and 2, The Hulk and Thor and was waiting for The Avengers with a great amount of anticipation and reservation. I watched the trailers and had high hopes.

Well, it didn't disappoint.

So before I begin, I'm giving it 8.5/10 which I consider a high score.

The problems are not serious but some things annoyed me.
-The movie is about half an hour too long in my opinion. I think the build up was slightly boring. There were bits and pieces of action, but the first half of the movie drags on a bit. Up until the attack on the aircraft carrier, I was just sitting there waiting for the Avengers to all decide to fight. You know they're going to fight... and win. Why make us wait nearly two hours for the climax?
-The trailers give a lot of good lines and moments away.

That's about it really. Apart from a few too many of the otherwise awesome lines being given away and the movie being a bit long, it was fantastic.
Each character is relevant and none stands out above the rest. The guy they got for Bruce Banner is excellent and the Hulk smashes. Robert Downey shines as Tony Stark, as we knew he would. Captain America and Thor both fit their roles so well and Hawkeye and Black Widow not only don't seem ridiculous in this group, but are important members.

Loki and the mysterious force he has aligned himself with are pretty cool. Loki is a good villain, but he's no Joker.

MAJOR SPOILER: I'm interested to see The Avengers 2 and hope the Fantastic Four get involved, maybe Spiderman and the X-Men too. I imagine a two part movie called "Galactus" with the entire Marvel Universe involved... END SPOILER

The two main battles are really well directed and the CGI is pretty seamless. I saw the movie in 3D but I'd actually advise against it. I thought it was unnecessary and actually made very fast moments hard to follow. Take a movie like Hugo, which used the 3D beautifully and you'll see what I mean.

So...
I highly recommend The Avengers if you're going to the cinema, but don't see it in 3D.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 6:21:45 AM
At 4/26/2012 6:08:24 AM, tvellalott wrote:
This is my short review and it WILL CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS

I had seen Captain America, Iron Man 1 and 2, The Hulk and Thor and was waiting for The Avengers with a great amount of anticipation and reservation. I watched the trailers and had high hopes.

Well, it didn't disappoint.

So before I begin, I'm giving it 8.5/10 which I consider a high score.

The problems are not serious but some things annoyed me.
-The movie is about half an hour too long in my opinion. I think the build up was slightly boring. There were bits and pieces of action, but the first half of the movie drags on a bit. Up until the attack on the aircraft carrier, I was just sitting there waiting for the Avengers to all decide to fight. You know they're going to fight... and win. Why make us wait nearly two hours for the climax?

I somewhat agree. The brief infighting was a bit of a distraction.

-The trailers give a lot of good lines and moments away.

That's about it really. Apart from a few too many of the otherwise awesome lines being given away and the movie being a bit long, it was fantastic.
Each character is relevant and none stands out above the rest. The guy they got for Bruce Banner is excellent and the Hulk smashes. Robert Downey shines as Tony Stark, as we knew he would. Captain America and Thor both fit their roles so well and Hawkeye and Black Widow not only don't seem ridiculous in this group, but are important members.

I did think that Robert Downy Jr. did kind of steal the spotlight. I understand that the entire point of Bruce Banner is that he tries to play it low key (get it! Loki!) but I wish some of the other characters, especially Thor, stepped up to the plate a bit more in terms of stage presence.

Loki and the mysterious force he has aligned himself with are pretty cool. Loki is a good villain, but he's no Joker.

MAJOR SPOILER: I'm interested to see The Avengers 2 and hope the Fantastic Four get involved, maybe Spiderman and the X-Men too. I imagine a two part movie called "Galactus" with the entire Marvel Universe involved... END SPOILER

Wouldn't happen for two reasons.

1. Different studios are involved. It's the reason why you won't see Kingpin in a Spiderman movie, because the studio that did Daredevil got the rights to him.

2. The actor that players the Human Torch also plays Captain America.

The two main battles are really well directed and the CGI is pretty seamless. I saw the movie in 3D but I'd actually advise against it. I thought it was unnecessary and actually made very fast moments hard to follow. Take a movie like Hugo, which used the 3D beautifully and you'll see what I mean.

So...
I highly recommend The Avengers if you're going to the cinema, but don't see it in 3D.

I agree. I'd probably give it a bit higher recommendation that TV (9/10 :p), but it is a fantastic movie.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 8:14:59 AM
Also, I got to see it due to winning tickets to an advanced preview here. How did you get to see it so soon, TV? I didn't realize the time difference was so great...
Lambo.B
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 1:38:38 PM
Well it's a Marvel Movie and they aren't gonna be perfect. I.e x-men- First Class, Fantastic 4 both of them, Ghost rider, etc. Based on your grading and from what I seen of the previews... I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I look more forward to Dark Knight Rises or the next Resident Evil movie.
May the force be with you always, so that you may live long and prosper. ^3^
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 8:31:08 PM
At 4/26/2012 8:14:59 AM, drafterman wrote:
Also, I got to see it due to winning tickets to an advanced preview here. How did you get to see it so soon, TV? I didn't realize the time difference was so great...

I'm 17 hours ahead of you.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 4:58:43 AM
At 5/3/2012 8:31:08 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/26/2012 8:14:59 AM, drafterman wrote:

I'm 17 hours ahead of you.

This was the 16,000 post in the entertainment section.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 7:54:26 PM

Not going to happen for the reason Drafter said. Different studios own the rights to those characters. Why Galactus, though, is that who you think the guy in the credits scene was?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 5:32:54 AM
At 5/4/2012 7:54:26 PM, Korashk wrote:

Not going to happen for the reason Drafter said. Different studios own the rights to those characters. Why Galactus, though, is that who you think the guy in the credits scene was?

No.

SPOILERS

Thanos
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 6:44:51 PM
I just watched it today. As someone who isn't really a fan of the Avengers or any of the heroes therein, I was blown away. The movie is incredible. The story is solid, the action is beyond compare, and the acting is absolutely top notch. Also, and this one really surprised me, this movie has the most accurate portrayal of Bruce Banner I've ever seen. He stole the show as far as I'm concerned. Loved every minute of it.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 6:51:15 PM
Best superhero movie ever
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 7:22:03 PM
At 5/5/2012 6:51:15 PM, imabench wrote:

The Dark Knight would like to talk to you
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:00:20 AM
Just saw it. My review of it would be identical to TVs.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:01:50 AM
At 5/3/2012 1:38:38 PM, Lambo.B wrote:
Well it's a Marvel Movie and they aren't gonna be perfect. I.e x-men- First Class, Fantastic 4 both of them, Ghost rider, etc. Based on your grading and from what I seen of the previews... I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I look more forward to Dark Knight Rises or the next Resident Evil movie.

I'm suspecting a DC Comics fan here......

A Brony, no less.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:05:14 AM
Also, was it just me, or we're the alien bad guys at the end Uruk-Hai with lazers?

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:21:20 AM
At 5/6/2012 2:05:14 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Also, was it just me, or we're the alien bad guys at the end Uruk-Hai with lazers?

They were Chitauri, which is basically the Ultimates version of Skrulls. I don't really see how they compare to Uruk-Hai other than in the vaguest sense.

I'm just glad that the credits reveal was Thanos. There are two things they can do with that:

- First, and most likely, they're going to adapt the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, which was excellent. This is most likely because in Thor we saw the Infinity Gauntlet, and its not improbable that the blue gem in Loki's scepter was in fact the Mind Infinity Gem.
- Second, they could be building up to create a new Marvel series of movies about Cosmic Marvel, which would be amazing. There have been rumors of a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, so who knows.

Both of these options are great.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:31:02 AM
At 5/6/2012 2:01:50 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 5/3/2012 1:38:38 PM, Lambo.B wrote:

I'm suspecting a DC Comics fan here......

A Brony, no less.

Also, none of those were Marvel movies. X-Men and Fantastic 4 are owned by Fox and Ghost Rider is owned by somebody else, Columbia I think. Although I don't know why he's giving a backhand to First Class; it was an excellent film.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 2:51:30 AM
At 5/6/2012 2:21:20 AM, Korashk wrote:

They were Chitauri, which is basically the Ultimates version of Skrulls. I don't really see how they compare to Uruk-Hai other than in the vaguest sense.

Well, from what I saw of them, the reminded me of the Berseker Uruk-Hai, in basic look and armor. :P

I know what they are, but one of my friends left to get popcorn, came back, saw the Skrull, and said,"Wait....do my eyes deceive me, or have the Uruk-Hai joined that fight?!"

I'm just glad that the credits reveal was Thanos. There are two things they can do with that:

- First, and most likely, they're going to adapt the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, which was excellent. This is most likely because in Thor we saw the Infinity Gauntlet, and its not improbable that the blue gem in Loki's scepter was in fact the Mind Infinity Gem.
- Second, they could be building up to create a new Marvel series of movies about Cosmic Marvel, which would be amazing. There have been rumors of a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, so who knows.

I've beeng reading up on him ever since I saw the movie today.

Hopefully, they won't screw it up.

Also, what's this I hear about a Thor 2?

I'm not saying it was bad, but of all the current Avenger Series Marvel movies, Thor was my least favorite.

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:12:01 AM
At 5/6/2012 2:21:20 AM, Korashk wrote:

I immediately thought of Infinity Gauntlet when I saw him. That's his most prominent story line and the only one of quality, as far as I'm concerned. In the original, I recall Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Silver Surfer all playing prominent parts. I'm sure their cameos won't happen, but it's fun to think about haha.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:16:13 AM
At 5/6/2012 2:51:30 AM, OberHerr wrote:

I'm not saying it was bad, but of all the current Avenger Series Marvel movies, Thor was my least favorite.

Rumors say that Thor 2 is going to be almost 100% set in the Nine Realms of Asgard and prominently feature the Warriors Three and Sif. It'll also forgo Loki as the main villain. Smart money is on the Enchantress.

Why curious about Thor 2?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:16:14 AM
So, do you think it's likely Spiderman will be in the next Avengers movie, or the next movie featuring the Avengers?

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:18:02 AM
At 5/6/2012 3:16:14 AM, OberHerr wrote:
So, do you think it's likely Spiderman will be in the next Avengers movie, or the next movie featuring the Avengers?

100% not going to happen. Marvel doesn't own Spiderman's film rights.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:19:07 AM
At 5/6/2012 3:16:13 AM, Korashk wrote:
At 5/6/2012 2:51:30 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Rumors say that Thor 2 is going to be almost 100% set in the Nine Realms of Asgard and prominently feature the Warriors Three and Sif. It'll also forgo Loki as the main villain. Smart money is on the Enchantress.

Why curious about Thor 2?

I just heard about it, and I'm not entirely sure why they decided to go that route. Not saying it will be bad, I'll probably love it, just not entirely sure why the picked him to do a sequel for. I just didn't enjoy him as a superhero as I did say Ironman, or Cap'n America.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:19:44 AM
At 5/6/2012 3:18:02 AM, Korashk wrote:
At 5/6/2012 3:16:14 AM, OberHerr wrote:

100% not going to happen. Marvel doesn't own Spiderman's film rights.

Aw. Was actually looking forward to something like that.

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 3:27:53 AM
At 5/6/2012 3:12:01 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I immediately thought of Infinity Gauntlet when I saw him. That's his most prominent story line and the only one of quality, as far as I'm concerned. In the original, I recall Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Silver Surfer all playing prominent parts. I'm sure their cameos won't happen, but it's fun to think about haha.

Thanos is portrayed wonderfully in Cosmic Marvel. You might want to read it especially considering it's pretty self contained and isn't too imposing. I'm going to re-read it myself because it's been a while.

http://tgchan.org...
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 4:37:02 AM
The movie was great in pretty much every respect, but what stood out to me was the humour. There were some utterly fantastic one-liners in that had me and my friends (and the whole cinema) pissing ourselves. There was also an odd short before the movie about a women's interpretation of Toy Story as a tale of sexual self-discovery (with Woody and Buzz respectively representing an unreliable but friendly, and a large but impersonal phallus).
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 5:12:20 AM
At 5/5/2012 7:22:03 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Dark Knight wasn't a superhero movie. It was a supervillain movie.
Xerge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 1:17:24 PM
At 5/6/2012 5:12:20 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/5/2012 7:22:03 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Dark Knight wasn't a superhero movie. It was a supervillain movie.

I agree with drafterman. The joker stole the show. Two-face's protrayal was good to me too.