Jump to topic:

The Dark Knight Rises

Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 12:54:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So the conclusion to the story comes out this Summer, but is anyone really excited to see it? I want to, but most of my friends think that it isn't going to to do nearly as well as "The Dark Knight" or "The Avengers" (which made $620+ million worldwide opening weekend? Of course everyone is going to miss the Joker, but what about this new guy, Baine, is he a worthy adversary? I'm just ranting. I want to see it, but my expectations aren't that high. Here's the newest trailer that came out last week:
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 8:04:39 PM
At 5/9/2012 12:54:05 PM, Osiris wrote:
So the conclusion to the story comes out this Summer, but is anyone really excited to see it? I want to, but most of my friends think that it isn't going to to do nearly as well as "The Dark Knight" or "The Avengers" (which made $620+ million worldwide opening weekend?

I personally think it'll do better than The Dark Knight did on its opening weekend, possibly even better than The Avengers, but I don't think that it'll make as much money as either of those films overall. unless it's REALLY good.

Of course everyone is going to miss the Joker, but what about this new guy, Baine, is he a worthy adversary?

It's spelled Bane, BTW. Many would consider him a worthy adversary. He's one of Batman's most intelligent adversaries and in the comics he snapped Batman's back.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 9:26:38 PM
Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow? Hell yeah!

Joker and Two-Face? Hell to the yeah!!!

Bane and Catwoman? Hell...wait, really? I mean...I guess I'll be there. Bane and Catwoman, you say? Sigh.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 9:28:39 PM
At 5/9/2012 9:26:38 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Bane and Catwoman? Hell...wait, really? I mean...I guess I'll be there. Bane and Catwoman, you say? Sigh.

Dude Bane is a badddassss!

He took the Batman from the comics completely out of commission. He defeated Batman. Paralyzed him! The guy is insaneeee!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:43:54 PM
At 5/9/2012 9:28:39 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

He took the Batman from the comics completely out of commission. He defeated Batman. Paralyzed him! The guy is insaneeee!

Did you actually read that story line? Bane is not compelling.

Consider Kraven shooting Spider-Man or Joker paralyzing Batgirl. These "victories" mattered because of the depth and complexity of these villains. Bane, by comparison, is a stock strong-man and quite flat.
- lamerde

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 10:50:01 PM
I can't wait. Booking tickets to watch it in iMax on the release day...

Does anyone want to hear my plot synopsis prediction? I think I have it basically worked out.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 2:00:14 AM

I hope Anne Hathaway plays a good catwoman. I have my doubts. This film has gone through so many lead actresses.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 2:01:02 AM
At 5/9/2012 10:50:01 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Does anyone want to hear my plot synopsis prediction? I think I have it basically worked out.

Shoot!
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 2:01:09 AM
If they do Bane right, he has the potential to be every bit as good as Heath Ledger's Joker. Remember, Bane is the guy who broke the Bat.

Catwoman is still a good choice but not as interesting. I would have much rather seen Talia Al Ghul. It fits the story better and I thought she is a more interesting love interest for Batman.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 8:54:57 AM
At 5/9/2012 10:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Consider Kraven shooting Spider-Man or Joker paralyzing Batgirl. These "victories" mattered because of the depth and complexity of these villains. Bane, by comparison, is a stock strong-man and quite flat.

I disagreed.

While he will never beat the Joker, but thats the case for all of Batman's villains.

He is quite an interesting character, IF he is played right. The issue is, often people play him as just some big mules guy. He's not just a really powerful and strong person, he is incredibly smart. He was considered by Ras as his successor for crying out loud!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 12:26:09 PM
At 5/10/2012 8:54:57 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 5/9/2012 10:43:54 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I disagreed.

While he will never beat the Joker, but thats the case for all of Batman's villains.

He is quite an interesting character, IF he is played right. The issue is, often people play him as just some big mules guy. He's not just a really powerful and strong person, he is incredibly smart. He was considered by Ras as his successor for crying out loud!

Not only that but he was the only one to figure out Bruce Wayne = Batman...

He ambushed him in his own Batcave for goodness sake. No muscle man is clever enough for that.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 10:00:46 PM
OK, time for TV's plot prediction for TDKR; I'm basing this on Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, the three trailers and the Bane Prologue.. I don't know if any of this is correct...

If you don't potentially want the movie spoilt for you, please don't read.

-Introduction: Bane's opening; introduces character's motivation and style.
-Batman's introduction; we catch up on what Bruce Wayne has been doing, there the 'legend of Batman' stands to the people of Gotham.
-Catwoman's introduction; we see her fighting crime as a Batman-style vigilante, perhaps with a lower moral compass in regards to stealing things (like stopping a crime, only to commit a crime herself)
-Bane attacks Gotham to provoke Batman to return, blows up a football stadium.
-Batman returns; Bane is waiting for him. They fight underground somewhere and Bane beats the absolute fvck out of Bats (but he WON'T break his spine... probably)
-Bane is disappointed by the Bats. We know the comic book Bane is motivated to be the best, hence his obsession with beating Batman.
-The Lazarus Pit enters the fold. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it appears to be some kind of inescapable prison. Bane puts Batman into the pit ("Deserves a worse punishment than death")
-Batman goes through a transformation stage (i.e. rediscovers his passion) in the pit and escapes. I think Liam Neeson will play some part in this. Perhaps his pre-Batman Begins story will be told, with flashbacks and blah blah.) I don't know if Batman has interaction with other 'prisoners' in the pit. Someone needs to tell him... Talia? Dunno. I know the Lazarus Pit will 'heal' him, but not in the comic-book style physical way...
-Meanwhile, Bane is fvcking with Gotham City. He breaks all of the prisoners out of Blackwater (I think that's the name of the non-Arkham prison) and takes over the city. Perhaps he captures Catwoman and tortures her or something. Somehow he acquires a bunch of Tumblers...
-Batman climbs out of the Lazarus Pit and returns to Gotham. With the help of Lucius Fox he 'suits up', gets his flying Batmobile and takes the fight to Bane.
-Final confrontation on the steps of City Hall. The people of Gotham, the police force, Catwoman and Batman fight against Bane, his henchmen and the escaped prisoners.
-Conclusion: Batman reinspires Gotham and is no longer needed. He dies/disappears/becomes a master, training the next generation/whatever.

This is basically how I think the story will go. Salina Kyle/Catwoman is the big unknown for me in this movie. Bane has pretty simple, one-track motivations. Catwoman is exceedingly more complicated. The new cop guy (the guy from Inception) is also an unknown. I don't think the Lazarus Pit will be supernatural (would be a major change to Nolan's "realistic" DC world) and I don't think Bane will break Batman's spine (because it's too serious an injury without the supernatural Lazarus Pit to heal him).
The big question for me is... Will Batman be exposed? I'm fairly certain Bane knows his identity... I don't know if it will be pre or post Lazarus Pit that Bane reveals the truth about Harvey Dent, but he definitely does.

What do you guys think? Again, this is almost entirely speculation.

Muh threads
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 10:05:00 PM
I think one other thing will be is that Bane will reveal Batman to Gotham, or at least unmask him at some point. Perhaps the reason Batman retires.

Or, he could just learn his identity. Not sure how, possibly after Bane beats up Batman, he unmasks him.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 10:09:56 PM
I also think Batman will learn something about nit taking Bane on head-on, and to attack him using his momentum or something. That seems to be a relatively common theme when Bane is involved, since Batman normally gets owned when he fights him head-on.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 10:15:06 PM
Also, I'm not sure if I really like Bane's look........I mean, is he even Spanish in this one?

I dunno, maybe it will grow on me, but it just doesn't look Bane...

and, I hope they have a nod to Osito(his Teddy bear). :)

Would be a nice touch.

kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 4:11:14 PM

Catwoman FTW!!! <3 Totally gonna watch JUST for her.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 3:40:08 PM
I'm excited to see it, but to be honest I'm also kind of relieved Batman movies are ending since there has been so many of them. I'm kind of pissed Spiderman got remade too. >.<
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 7:45:13 PM
Bumping in preparation from my review tomorrow. In 12 hours I will be sitting in the iMax cinema watching this movie. Almost wetting myself with excitement!

Muh threads
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 8:30:01 PM
At 5/9/2012 10:50:01 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Me too :P

: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 8:37:56 PM
At 7/18/2012 7:45:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Bumping in preparation from my review tomorrow. In 12 hours I will be sitting in the iMax cinema watching this movie. Almost wetting myself with excitement!

12 hours? I won't see it until midnight Eastern time. Fcck you man no spoilers alright?
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 8:42:58 PM
At 7/18/2012 8:37:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/18/2012 7:45:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:

12 hours? I won't see it until midnight Eastern time. Fcck you man no spoilers alright?

If there are spoilers, there will be an appropriate spoiler warning.

Muh threads
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 11:36:22 PM
Personally, I really like the new look Nolan is going with. It's a lot easier to watch for a couple hours than the constant depression and fear of the previous two movies; more "Angry birds" than "Apocalypse Now."

Probably the best review out there, for those of you about to go see it (no spoilers in this one):

http://www.theonion.com...

A few quotes:
Nolan, speaking of his new Batman imagining:
"I feel like I really went back to Batman's roots and discovered the character's true essence," Nolan said. "And that essence turned out to be in the Batman comics from 1940 through 1970, the 1960s Adam West series, the 1970s Super Friends episodes, the actually quite enjoyable films of Joel Schumacher, and Batman's cameo appearances on Scooby-Doo. These were my creative touchstones as I completed my trilogy."

"The Dark Knight Rises would take a lighter, more humorous tone than its predecessors, and would be filled with "slapstick, primary colors, and just plain old fun.""

Anyone else looking forward to this? :P
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 11:56:18 PM
At 7/18/2012 11:36:22 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
Personally, I really like the new look Nolan is going with. It's a lot easier to watch for a couple hours than the constant depression and fear of the previous two movies; more "Angry birds" than "Apocalypse Now."

Probably the best review out there, for those of you about to go see it (no spoilers in this one):

A few quotes:
"I feel like I really went back to Batman's roots and discovered the character's true essence," Nolan said. "And that essence turned out to be in the Batman comics from 1940 through 1970, the 1960s Adam West series, the 1970s Super Friends episodes, the actually quite enjoyable films of Joel Schumacher, and Batman's cameo appearances on Scooby-Doo. These were my creative touchstones as I completed my trilogy."

"The Dark Knight Rises would take a lighter, more humorous tone than its predecessors, and would be filled with "slapstick, primary colors, and just plain old fun.""

Question. Will I get to see Batman curbstomp The Wiggles?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:02:04 AM
I won't be able to see the movie for at least a week after it comes out and it's going to be hard as hell to avoid this thread until then. I'm already mad at my future self.
- lamerde

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:39:10 AM
At 7/18/2012 11:36:22 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

A few quotes:

I don't know if that sounds that great. I mean, going more lighthearted and such would be good, but not for a finale (though you know another will be made).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:43:52 AM
And this from that review.

"Best of all, there will be absolutely none of the confusing moral ambiguity that dragged down The Dark Knight," Nolan said. "People don't want all that pompous 'Who's the real monster, Batman or the criminals he pursues?' junk. They want to see the Joker get a big sockeroo on the chin and get tangled up in a net. That's classic funny-book entertainment."

I actually did want that kind of moral dilemma in a movie like this. You want to do funny and goofy? Bring me the three stooges. If you're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on some hugely anticipated film? I want something deep, or I'm not forking over the already ridiculous ticket and food prices (FYI, drive-ins rock!).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:50:55 AM
At 7/19/2012 12:43:52 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
And this from that review.

"Best of all, there will be absolutely none of the confusing moral ambiguity that dragged down The Dark Knight," Nolan said. "People don't want all that pompous 'Who's the real monster, Batman or the criminals he pursues?' junk. They want to see the Joker get a big sockeroo on the chin and get tangled up in a net. That's classic funny-book entertainment."

I actually did want that kind of moral dilemma in a movie like this. You want to do funny and goofy? Bring me the three stooges. If you're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on some hugely anticipated film? I want something deep, or I'm not forking over the already ridiculous ticket and food prices (FYI, drive-ins rock!).

In case your comment was serious, the article was from the Onion.
:
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 1:06:32 AM
LMFAO@The Onion review.

Muh threads
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 7:02:43 AM
At 7/18/2012 11:56:18 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Question. Will I get to see Batman curbstomp The Wiggles?

Spoilers. I can neither confirm nor deny that Barney the Dinosaur and the Wiggles are Batman's primary opponents in this film.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!