Jump to topic:

Civ 5 Expansion Pack!

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 9:45:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who else is really excited for Gods & Kings, who has been rather hailed by critics? (Those who have no clue about Civ, look away... NOW) It introduces twenty-seven new units, thirteen new buildings, nine new wonders, nine new civs (Austria, Byzantium, Carthage, Celtia, Ethiopia, the Huns, the Maya, the Netherlands, and Sweden), three new scenarios (Fall of Rome, Middle Ages, and 'Empires of the Smoky Skies,' which should be called STEAMPUNK CIV), and several tweaks to the existing facets of the game including changing units from 10 hit point scales to 100 hit point scales.

Oh, wait... I totally forgot something...

RELIGION AND ESPIONAGE ARE COMING BACK, BABY!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Honestly, I'm sorta worried about the Religion part. Hopefully it won't be clunky, like cooperations were in Civ 4 BTS, but, from what I've seen, it's fairly elagent. In addition, the 100 HP scales will make fighting wars much slower and harder, and could be an issue.

However, I'm really, really excited about this. From what I've seen, it looks fairly balanced and smooth, and as critics are paid--I mean want to do, they are raving about it. And it seems SO FREAKING AWESOME! I can't wait!
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 6:33:58 PM
Cool.

I'd want to play as Carthage, that sounds neat. Too bad they don't have a geographically accurate map of the world (or do they?). I'd love to stage one of the Carthage wars.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:23:33 PM
At 5/20/2012 6:33:58 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Cool.

I'd want to play as Carthage, that sounds neat. Too bad they don't have a geographically accurate map of the world (or do they?). I'd love to stage one of the Carthage

They do, in fact, have acurate world maps, including one of the Mediterranean, although the caveat is that the mediterranean is in a purchaseable DLC.

I'm particularly excited about Celtia and the Netherlands, myself. I just cannot wait to get my hands on a Sea Begger, which I think is anti-climatactally awesome name. Ethiopia seems to be built for the sole reason of being a pain in the side and luring Rastafaris into buying the game. The Huns also got a "Why?" reaction from me.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:50:11 PM
At 5/20/2012 8:41:34 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The Huns because they're also a pain in the side.

Have you ever played Medieval Total War? They were down right scary.

No. I think that the Huns are more or less a group of barbarians--contrary to the point of Civ. If that's debateable, sure it is. I just think that the Huns (which are going to be a real threat, not just a pain in the side) don't deserve Civ status.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:52:34 PM
The Huns almost destroyed China.............

But, luckily, some random girl with a cricket, horse, and fail dragon saved the day!

XD
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:54:25 PM
Do they have Vikings btw?

Cause, it would be cool matching Vikings verses the Huns.

Seeing those 6'6"+ Vikings tearing through those shorties..... :)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:59:17 PM
I played Civ Revolutions for the xbox and enjoyed it. If Civ 5 any good? I may buy it.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 9:01:50 PM
At 5/20/2012 8:59:17 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I played Civ Revolutions for the xbox and enjoyed it. If Civ 5 any good? I may buy it.

I own oth an civ 5 is SOOOOOO much better than civ revolutions
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 9:28:08 PM
At 5/20/2012 9:01:50 PM, imabench wrote:

Really. Well I'm gonna have to buy it then.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 10:44:25 PM
At 5/20/2012 9:28:08 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Get Civ 4 if you want a good place to start. Its cheaper, and MODS GALORE.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 10:44:48 PM
At 5/20/2012 9:28:08 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Personal preference though, really.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 11:52:55 AM
At 5/20/2012 8:54:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Do they have Vikings btw?

Cause, it would be cool matching Vikings verses the Huns.

Seeing those 6'6"+ Vikings tearing through those shorties..... :)

They have Denmark, which is the equivelant of the Vikings.

Also, @Johnny: Civ V is good, although it eats up memory like Koopin going through KFC. And, last I checked, it was pretty expensive.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 11:58:00 AM
Current Civ V roster:

America
Arabia
Aztecs
China
Egypt
England
France
Germany
Greece
Iroquois
India
Japan
Ottomans
Persia
Rome
Russia
Siam
Songhai
Babylon*
Denmark*
Mongols*
Inca*
Korea*
Spain*
Polynesia*

* Available only through DLC.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 12:32:07 PM

Yeah, Civ 5 is much, much better than Civ Rev.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 8:17:14 PM
Sorry for bumping an obviously dead thread back to life... but I'm feeling Space Core-ish, only with Civ V expansion pack. So:

OMGOMGOMGOMFG!!! I freaking CANNOT WAIT for Gods & Kings to come out! It's like putting the awesome things from Civ IV, making them MORE awesome and pouring them onto Civ V wich is already pretty awesome! Faith (Religion) seems freakin' AMAZING, no matter what you cynical atheists say! More bonuses at the benning of the game is always a good thing, plus it adds flavor and it's something that was left out from Civ IV and it's a travesty no more...! In addition, espionage seems, although a little tiny bit less cool, it's still a great addition to the game that should have be(en) incorperated into the game. And... STEAM. PUNK. CIV. OH. MY. FLIPPING. GAWD. Empires of the Smoky Skies just seems like this horrendously wonderful thing and I'm sorta a steampunk fan and it's Civ and new scenarios are obviously good anyway, but this is FANTASTIC! And the civs... a lot of people, from what I've seen, are saying "INSTANT BUY" with the development of Sweden, led by Gustovus (?) Adolfus, being in the game. Anyway, more variety in the Civ pool is great because you always don't know that, OH! Alexander is right next to me! etc. And I'm excited about the Fall of Rome scenario because I liked the Civ III Fall of Rome scenario, and being a barbarian in Civ is COOL...

And I think I've excitement-vented enough. Bon Nuit.

(PS: BETTER AI, APPARENTLY! REJOICE TO THE LORD, CIV FANATICS IF THIS DEVELOPMENT IS TRUE!)
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 10:33:56 PM
First of all, sorry for the nerco.

Second, my impressions of the expansion so far: Earlier today, I had a good time playing G&K. Random map type, prince, standard size. I played Boudicca/Celts, which means that I get a faith bonus for unimproved forest tiles. That's rather big, considering that other civs don't start gleaning faith from the start. It also doesn't hurt if the map does not screw you, and put you in a position without adjacent forest tiles, in the unplayed roll before my fist good game. I quickly founded a religion (I picked Shinto, rennamed it The Force) and started rolling in cash from the founder belief that I chose (Which gives me +2 gold for every city which has the Force with them). It would make sense, given that religion and faith go together in the expansion, for me to go for a culture victory; I started going for diplomatic because of the unusual amount of city-states that I found myself next to. The new city state mechanics make the focus on quests (which are fun) more important and gold less. The gold that I was raking in was mainly for keeping them under my belt. The nearest major civ was Wu Zetian's China (a non-expansion civ) to the north. My main competition, score-wise is and was Theodora's Byzantium, who also recieves bonuses for religion. But sadly, she didn't play the religion game. Other civs of note are Askia's Songhai, which founded one of the two religions that the AI founded; Oda's Japan, who didn't expand beyond two cites (so far) and Moctezuma's Aztecs, who were all embroiled in declaring war on one another. I really did not use Celtia's unique unit, Pictish warrior, to my advantage other than barbarian busting. But, by the time I couldn't produce them anymore, I was rolling over myself in faith, so their faith bonuses from defeating units was negligabe, and I was purchasing missionaries like crazy, spreading my religion. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY was even not freindly to me until I met Gahndi's India and Cathrine's Russia, and they were neutral. Nobody likes DOW'ing me, I guess. Maybe it's the wine I keep sending them. ; ) I am also fairly ahead in Tech. By the time I entered the Rennaissance, I think only one person (Theodora) was eqjal to me in tech. Also around that time, Mrs. Theo started using espionage for gaining a city-state we were both contesting over and Wu stared attacking Mombasa, a city-state long allied with me, so I feel like I have to do something with Wu in order for Mombasa to be avenged. But the beginnings of the Chinese-Kenyan war are just beginning at this point in the game. As a side note: although it is certainly no ICS level yet, I have stared to produce a wide empire instead of a tall one, not characteristic of me. It's a product of the increased happiness.

TL;DR, the expansion is good and fun. I look forward to this continued game and others.

Third: Sorry for the block of texr.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 10:36:40 PM
At 6/20/2012 10:34:54 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
I haven't actually played any civ games, but they seem really interesting.

):

They are. Even MORE time-consuming than mafia.
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 10:43:52 PM
At 6/20/2012 10:36:40 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

):

but they cost moneyies right?
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 10:47:26 PM
At 6/20/2012 10:43:52 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 6/20/2012 10:36:40 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

):

but they cost moneyies right?

Yup. The expansion, while vast, was 30$. A lot for just an expansion. The game's ~40$ I think.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 10:46:00 PM
Not that anybody cares, but here is what happened as a result of China DOW'ing Mombasa:

So Wu DOWs Mombasa. I think that she knew that I had a small military, which I did, so she knew that she could count on taking over that CS without anybody taking the southern half of her empire. I gifted Mombasa two of the four military ubits that I had, but they apparently disappeared. So, my upgraded Pictish warrior is now gons, so no more unique units. Because I need to build up my military anyway, I denounce China, who was just about best buds with me beforehand. I instantly start purchasing and queuing up units for a long war against China and her army. That turn, Askia pops up wanting me to spill the wine. Sir, you are going to have to pay for that. There is a pleasant surprise from Oda, the next turn: he denounces Wu with me. Eventually, everybody save for Cathrine denounces China. And Mombasa has a proverbial whipping by the sheer force of China before Gahndi denounces. I send my spy, Seamus, over to Beijing to steal techs, but I discover that 1. I have totally eclipsed Wu in tech and 2. She's planning to raid Oda. I gossip to him, and he is thankful. But I think Seamus, being just a recruit, misheard some things: I am DOW'd by Wu. Thankfully, I have put my units in just the right spot to repel her forces. And I get to free Mombasa because I out-flanked her with the help of a small navy and a Jedi Knight. By the time I get to cross over the hilly jungles that lead to Xian and other southern Chinese cities, Wu has had enough. She gives me tribute. In essence, a draw on my terms. Also, Russia steals CALENDAR (an ancient era tech... no wonder she's last in score) and the Aztecs attempt to steal another tech, but it was killed by Spy Seamus and Moctezuma hastily apologized. Plus Theodora makes it hard for me to friend Kuala Lumpur throgh espionage... grrrr... I am now firmly in the lead, and I am set to cruise to victory.

TL;DR, Wu's invasion really didn't change a lot, except made her unpopular and give me a good military.