Jump to topic:

MMORPGs?

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:23:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've really been hooked on this genre lately (forcing me to neglect nearly all other game types save for Minecraft) and I was wondering if anyone plays any good ones that AREN'T WoW or Runescape.

I've been playing:

Runes of Magic
Guild Wars
Forsaken World (why not?)

Any other good ones out there?

Share!
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:36:36 AM
LOL dude. Most people don't have time for one mmorpg- let alone three!

What kind of sorcery is this?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:45:05 AM
Bethesda has plans to ruin The Elder Scrolls franchise with an MMORPG in the future.. So be sure to look for that in a year or so..
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:46:43 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:45:05 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Bethesda has plans to ruin The Elder Scrolls franchise with an MMORPG in the future.. So be sure to look for that in a year or so..

LOL you think it's going to ruin it?!

I'm super excited about it. Actually, I'm sad I heard about it so early because now I have to look forward to it for too long :D
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:48:48 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:46:43 AM, Oryus wrote:

I'm super excited about it. Actually, I'm sad I heard about it so early because now I have to look forward to it for too long :D

The game probably won't be good. I doubt it would ruin the series though.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:49:39 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:23:54 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've really been hooked on this genre lately (forcing me to neglect nearly all other game types save for Minecraft) and I was wondering if anyone plays any good ones that AREN'T WoW or Runescape.

I've been playing:

Runes of Magic
Guild Wars
Forsaken World (why not?)

Any other good ones out there?

Share!

Star wars: The Old Republic
Realm of the Mad God (http://www.realmofthemadgod.com...)
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:49:58 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:48:48 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

But why do you think so?
:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:54:06 AM

They could spend the time and money on another good single player game, which is what they are good at. Instead they are going to invest in an arena they have no expertise in and end up with a product that has nothing to do with what makes their games so great. Also MMO's are historically hit or miss, mostly miss.

It might not ruin the franchise, but it definitely doesn't help it.

It'd be like if Rockstar (creators of Grand Theft Auto) made a ping pong simulator..

oh wait... http://www.rockstargames.com...
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:57:01 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:54:06 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

They could spend the time and money on another good single player game, which is what they are good at. Instead they are going to invest in an arena they have no expertise in and end up with a product that has nothing to do with what makes their games so great. Also MMO's are historically hit or miss, mostly miss.

It'd be like if Rockstar (creators of Grand Theft Auto) made a ping pong simulator..

haaa!!! ping pong wtf.

but yeah, I heard they were getting people who did have expertise in this to work on it.. I have no idea what source that came from. I don't remember.
:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:58:26 AM

Actually this example isn't very good cuz its probably the best ping pong simulator ever made..

It's more akin to that star wars MMO by bioware.. cool universe by a company with great games behind them ultimately lead to a less than inspired product.

MMO's just have too much stuff that can go wrong.. Bethesda shouldn't waste their time.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:00:41 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:57:01 AM, Oryus wrote:

haaa!!! ping pong wtf.

but yeah, I heard they were getting people who did have expertise in this to work on it.. I have no idea what source that came from. I don't remember.

I'm sure they hired a bunch of MMO experts or are using another company... But I'm still annoyed. This isn't a void that needs to be filled by Bethesda. The "awesome open world RPG" genre is one best filled by Bethesda and they should just stick with that.
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:03:40 AM
But it's going to have all the worlds. all of them. and more!
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:03:42 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:49:58 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/24/2012 1:48:48 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

But why do you think so?

For one, TES has always been about an open ended story where you are an adventurer on an epic quest. TES is about immersion. When you put that into an MMO and 50000 other people are the Dovakiin too, it breaks that immersion.
For two, Hotkey based MMO's are dying and it is unlikely that with the current competition (SW:TOR, Diablo, Guild Wars, Tera, and to some extent WoW) one could currently succeed while games are moving away from the formula.
For three, the game is only being made because it has the Elder Scrolls brand. Think about it for a minute: Which has a more fleshed out world that you could recognize anywhere and you really feel like it is immense? Star Wars or TES?

I might be wrong though.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:05:26 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:03:40 AM, Oryus wrote:

Quality>Quantity.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:07:03 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:58:26 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Actually this example isn't very good cuz its probably the best ping pong simulator ever made..

It's more akin to that star wars MMO by bioware.. cool universe by a company with great games behind them ultimately lead to a less than inspired product.

MMO's just have too much stuff that can go wrong.. Bethesda shouldn't waste their time.

Except Star Wars has a great extended universe and it was able to deliver one of the best story telling experience in MMO's. TES doesn't have that.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:09:49 AM

I'd rather play an HD console remake of Morrowind...

And what Bossy sad.. Their games are really about the individuals quest, As the Nevarine, as the Dovakhiin etc.. As an MMO it eliminates part of what really makes their stories and immersion so successful...

It's really just a cash grab in a genre they want to explore.. And I'm betting that while the production values may be stellar, it will have none of the appeal of an actual Elder Scrolls game.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:11:19 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:09:49 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

And what Bossy sad.. Their games are really about the individuals quest, As the Nevarine, as the Dovakhiin etc.. As an MMO it eliminates part of what really makes their stories and immersion so successful...

It's really just a cash grab in a genre they want to explore.. And I'm betting that while the production values may be stellar, it will have none of the appeal of an actual Elder Scrolls game.

I just imagine what the Conan MMO was.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:11:38 AM
This is all just speculation. You guys are just being pessimistic and nerding out, paranoid about someone ruining your video-love.

If any company can do it justice, bethesda can. They're innovative and thorough.

I'm being optimistic and I'll hold off my judgments til it comes out :P
:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:15:33 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:07:03 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Except Star Wars has a great extended universe and it was able to deliver one of the best story telling experience in MMO's. TES doesn't have that.

True. Bioware knows how to tell a story and does it well. The rest of the star wars MMO product is lacking from reviews I've read. Although I haven't played it, so I can't really say from experience. Nonetheless, the world is not lacking anything in not having a TES MMO.

It's simply a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Now an MMO in a GTA universe would be cool. The game APB attempted this, but failed on every front. Hopefully someone will try to do it again with a more realistic plan, and some cool and original ideas.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:17:56 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:11:38 AM, Oryus wrote:
This is all just speculation. You guys are just being pessimistic and nerding out, paranoid about someone ruining your video-love.

If any company can do it justice, bethesda can. They're innovative and thorough.

LOL

Of course its speculation. And yes I'm nerding out because I'd like to see the next Skyrim and not some Bethesda WoW rip off. (even if it is excellent)

In fairness MMO's aren't really my thing anyway...
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:18:55 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:15:33 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/24/2012 2:07:03 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

True. Bioware knows how to tell a story and does it well. The rest of the star wars MMO product is lacking from reviews I've read. Although I haven't played it, so I can't really say from experience. Nonetheless, the world is not lacking anything in not having a TES MMO.

It's simply a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Now an MMO in a GTA universe would be cool. The game APB attempted this, but failed on every front. Hopefully someone will try to do it again with a more realistic plan, and some cool and original ideas.

I feel that TOR was just WoW, but improved in every way.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:19:16 AM

Bethesda isn't making it...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:21:31 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:11:19 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 5/24/2012 2:09:49 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I just imagine what the Conan MMO was.

Funcom (The developer) barely survived.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:23:34 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:19:16 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Bethesda is publishing it, so we can assume it will have their standards.

But even still, I hope they don't ignore their bread and butter, which is quality single player games.
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:25:10 AM

S.O.B. you're right.

Either way, the convo about whether it will be good is useless. We know basically nothing about it.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:26:24 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:23:34 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

But even still, I hope they don't ignore their bread and butter, which is quality single player games.

This must have been what I was thinking of when I thought they were bringing in some other people... where did I hear that from ?? There was a specific thing to it and I can find no information on it. Annoying.
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:26:50 AM

Well, they published this:http://en.wikipedia.org...(video_game)#Reception
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:33:23 AM
Better IPs for MMO's than TES:

Austin Powers
Mass Effect
It's always Sunny in Philadelphia
James Bond
Pride and Prejudice
Ya ya Sisterhood
Casablanca
Gone with the wind
16 Candles

There, no need to waste TES franchise on an MMO when there are plenty of other IP's to choose from... and that can be done by companies other than Bethesda.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:34:00 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:26:50 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Well, they published this:http://en.wikipedia.org...(video_game)#Reception

lol touche', one of the worst games ever
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:34:10 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:33:23 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Better IPs for MMO's than TES:

Austin Powers
Mass Effect
It's always Sunny in Philadelphia
James Bond
Pride and Prejudice
Ya ya Sisterhood
Casablanca
Gone with the wind
16 Candles

There, no need to waste TES franchise on an MMO when there are plenty of other IP's to choose from... and that can be done by companies other than Bethesda.

LOLOLOL
Well, now you're just being bitter.
: