Jump to topic:

Classical Music

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 2:41:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
While I'm not entirely sure if this is the most appropriate place to post something pertaining to music, it seemed more appropriate than all the options. Classical music is something that I never really developed a taste for until I was in college, and now I listen to it all the time. For me, the experience of listening to Wagner or Tchaikovsky, Bach or Beethoven is almost transcendental. One must authentically feel the music, though, in the same way one may stand for hours in awe of a majestic painting. The connection is unlike any other, and I can say with confidence that my life is enriched for the experience. Below, are some of my favorites. I do hope you all enjoy!
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 3:44:41 AM
Playing Civilization IV gave me a new love of classical music. How do you think modern compositions by Hans Zimmer or Steve Jablonsky stack up against them?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 4:39:20 AM
At 6/10/2012 3:44:41 AM, MouthWash wrote:
Playing Civilization IV gave me a new love of classical music. How do you think modern compositions by Hans Zimmer or Steve Jablonsky stack up against them?

Hans Zimmer is one of the most talented composers in modern existence. I'm less a fan of Jablonsky then I am of Zimmer, but he is talented nevertheless. I would submit that Gladiator had one of the best soundtracks ever composed.
Tsar of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 4:49:29 AM
At 6/10/2012 2:41:48 AM, YYW wrote:
While I'm not entirely sure if this is the most appropriate place to post something pertaining to music, it seemed more appropriate than all the options. Classical music is something that I never really developed a taste for until I was in college, and now I listen to it all the time. For me, the experience of listening to Wagner or Tchaikovsky, Bach or Beethoven is almost transcendental. One must authentically feel the music, though, in the same way one may stand for hours in awe of a majestic painting. The connection is unlike any other, and I can say with confidence that my life is enriched for the experience. Below, are some of my favorites. I do hope you all enjoy!

I understand how you feel about this. I can get in a certain state of meditation in listening to some classical music, where I can feel the notes and be a part of the music almost literally. There is no one composer that really does this for me, but pieces that bring me outside of myself.

I read that those who study evolution have a hard time with man's connection to music.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 5:00:35 AM
At 6/10/2012 4:49:29 AM, innomen wrote:
I read that those who study evolution have a hard time with man's connection to music.

That is an argument from incredulity. [http://www.talkorigins.org...]
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 5:04:09 AM
At 6/10/2012 4:39:20 AM, YYW wrote:
Hans Zimmer is one of the most talented composers in modern existence. I'm less a fan of Jablonsky then I am of Zimmer, but he is talented nevertheless. I would submit that Gladiator had one of the best soundtracks ever composed.

Here are some examples for those of you who haven't watched these movies.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 9:08:56 AM
What about Dvorak?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 3:11:14 PM
At 6/10/2012 4:49:29 AM, innomen wrote:
At 6/10/2012 2:41:48 AM, YYW wrote:

I understand how you feel about this. I can get in a certain state of meditation in listening to some classical music, where I can feel the notes and be a part of the music almost literally. There is no one composer that really does this for me, but pieces that bring me outside of myself.

That is very interesting. I wonder why that is...
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 4:24:45 PM
At 6/10/2012 3:11:14 PM, YYW wrote:

Did you not read my response?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 7:51:55 PM
At 6/10/2012 4:24:45 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/10/2012 3:11:14 PM, YYW wrote:

Did you not read my response?

I did, and it is interesting indeed.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:58:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My first connection to classical was Nietzsche. I read that he was a composer as well and looked it up. Bleh. Shat. Turned me off from it completely. Then I gave Wagner a chance and it seemed to stick pretty well.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:37:44 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:58:43 PM, Noumena wrote:
My first connection to classical was Nietzsche. I read that he was a composer as well and looked it up. Bleh. Shat. Turned me off from it completely. Then I gave Wagner a chance and it seemed to stick pretty well.

What a dreadful way to start. I'm glad you gave Wagner a go; he wrote some gorgeous pieces.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:03:20 PM
I quite like classical.

I like every kind of music though. Mostly classic rock. But every time I try to get into classical, I get bored. I like the music, but most of it is too slow. Which reminds me, if anyone has any fast paced classical to suggest, I'd like to listen.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:08:07 PM
At 3/12/2013 8:03:20 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I quite like classical.

I like every kind of music though. Mostly classic rock. But every time I try to get into classical, I get bored. I like the music, but most of it is too slow. Which reminds me, if anyone has any fast paced classical to suggest, I'd like to listen.

This is my morning alarm:

You may like the Vivaldi pieces that I posted above as well.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:13:22 PM
Ah, I posted them in a different classical thread. Here they are:
- Hilaire Belloc -
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 9:00:27 PM
At 3/12/2013 8:13:22 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Bellissimo!

I quite liked that. I'm on a classical kick now, so I'm off to download some vivaldi to put on my phone. I'll probably get some Beethoven too, I quite like a few of his symphonies and such.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 9:41:45 PM
I began liking classical probably around 6-8 months ago. I love Debussy, Bach and Beethoven but my absolute favorite composer is Hans Zimmer. The creativity and scopes of his works are amazing. Soundtrack music is one of my favorite genres and I got into it namely because of him. Inception would be my favorite work of his along with the Last Samurai. I like the slow serene stuff a lot.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 10:26:39 PM
At 3/12/2013 9:00:27 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 3/12/2013 8:13:22 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Bellissimo!

I quite liked that. I'm on a classical kick now, so I'm off to download some vivaldi to put on my phone. I'll probably get some Beethoven too, I quite like a few of his symphonies and such.

You'd also probably love Khachaturian. The first is a quick, lively waltz. The second is a slower, but mind-numbingly beautiful piece. He's also known for writing the saber dance, which is famous for being played at the circus.
- Hilaire Belloc -