Jump to topic:

Covers and Remixes

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 6:58:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So, I really enjoy it when good songs are turned into excellent covers, or are remixed with good results. I'm just the kind of person that likes the many differences one can make off of one beat or music composure.

So anyways, I created this thread so I could ask what are your favourite covers or remixes are, and what your opinions are on remixing and covering songs? Are most covers bad, or most remixes too chaotic? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.

Shown to the right is my trio; All About Us by Tatu; All About Us cover by Sonic Syndicate; and All About What? by some remix artist, which includes a song by Rammstein, specifically Wo Bist Du.
ccstateisback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 7:41:05 PM
I didn't want to waste my time looking it up on youtube, but my favorite is Whats Up? by DJ Miko. It was originally done by the Four Non Blondes.
studentathletechristian8 - Congrats- you may have your first online girlfriend!

Me - I had a MySpace girlfriend, but it was really a 45 year old guy friend.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 8:09:15 AM
WAY TOO MANY TO NAME A FAR AS REMIXES GO.

I have so0o many on my laptop... ugh...

I'll post a recent favorite cover:
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 8:14:00 AM
To answer Volkov's question, no, not all covers are bad or remixes chaotic. I personally love A LOT of remixes and think it inspires a different kind of creativity which I can really appreciate. I really like dance remixes, but also I like a lot of trip hop remixes where certain songs (even upbeat ones) are taken to a down-tempo level. It changes the entire feel of the song and that really intrigues me. I enjoy it. Unfortunately the laptop AND iPod I had with all of my loves are dead and gone; I'll have to look back into my archives though and try to remember some good ones to post for ya'll. Off the top of my head, I really like a lot of Massive Attack and Portishead mixes. Fun stuff. I promise to get back to this :)
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 8:15:56 AM
At 8/23/2009 8:14:00 AM, theLwerd wrote:
To answer Volkov's question, no, not all covers are bad or remixes chaotic. I personally love A LOT of remixes and think it inspires a different kind of creativity which I can really appreciate. I really like dance remixes, but also I like a lot of trip hop remixes where certain songs (even upbeat ones) are taken to a down-tempo level. It changes the entire feel of the song and that really intrigues me.

I agree completely. As I said, it is interesting to see how much different sound and feeling you can get from one song, just by simply using different instruments, voices or remixing them with other songs!

Look forward to more examples!
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 10:22:34 AM
Like many remakes of movies, most are not as good as the originals.

I'll use Rob Zombie for two examples, one good, one bad:

Definitely not as good as original: His remakes of "Halloween" and "Halloween II" (when sequels are being remade, you know it's time to stop).

I like it better than the original: White Zombie's cover of Black Sabbath's "Children of the Grave."

I also really like Duran Duran's cover of Zeppelin's "Thank You."

Some of the worst covers?
- Disturbed's cover of Genesis's "Land of Confusion"
- Sheryl Crow's cover of GnR's "Sweet Child of Mine"
- Alanis Morissette's cover of Seal's "Crazy"
- William Shatner's cover of Elton John's "Rocket Man"

Okay, that last cover is one of both the worst AND the best, just for how bad it is.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 10:49:46 AM
Don't know that many covers, but I likes this one.

Utada Hikaru's "Fly Me To The Moon".
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 11:29:51 AM
At 8/23/2009 10:39:51 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Anyway, I didn't know Volkov was so into Heavy Metal.

If the first video actually worked, you would see that my taste varies. I also enjoy Eminem. I guess my music taste by genre is hard to narrow down, except that I enjoy rock/metal/indie to varying degrees - in general though, I enjoy any artist that as a good sound and actually has meaning, or a story to be told, or emotion drawing aspects to their lyrics.

Anyways, another good remix - The Prodigy's Voodoo People, remixed by Pendulum.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 2:42:13 PM
Milow's cover of 50 cent's Ayo Technology is good (1st vid)

These girls on YouTube did a decent cover of Demi Lovato's Here We Go Again. I'm not a big fan of the music, but the girls are (hot).
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 2:49:01 PM
Nirvana's cover of Leadbelly's 'Where Did you sleep last night" is pretty sweet. I'm at work so can't post a youtube link.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 8:01:08 AM
An interesting re-make of a Doris Day classic. I love it! Props to wifey for sending this my way awhile back :)
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 1:52:15 PM
At 9/17/2009 1:50:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Panda, get over Thin Lizzy already :P

No. They're awesome.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 9:17:06 AM
I guess the fact that Ireland hasn't come up with anything awesome since TL's inception 30 years ago makes this OK :P
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 9:28:57 AM
At 9/18/2009 9:17:06 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I guess the fact that Ireland hasn't come up with anything awesome since TL's inception 30 years ago makes this OK :P

U2

pwned.

Oh wait........
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 9:47:51 AM
At 9/18/2009 9:43:29 AM, theLwerd wrote:
... FAIL, Panda.

Don't worry, me, U2 and the remnants of Thin Lizzy will get you. One day....one day...............
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2009 4:14:07 AM
At 9/18/2009 10:56:38 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Panda -- I hate U2! That's right. I said it.

They're ok. I hate Bono though.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 10:52:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Top video is original. Bottom is better.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?