Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why are all female singers attractive?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:06:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seeing the thread below made me consider this. Every female singer that I can think of is also physically attractive. But why a corelation between having a good voice and a good body? Or is there even a corelation at all?
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:21:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.

Precisely. But they aren't all like that. Rarely does talent trump looks, but sometimes it does. Look at Aretha Franklin. Etta James. Celia Cruz. Susan Boyle.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:21:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:25:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
AZUUUUCARRR!!!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:29:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:21:23 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.

Precisely. But they aren't all like that. Rarely does talent trump looks, but sometimes it does. Look at Aretha Franklin. Etta James. Celia Cruz. Susan Boyle.

Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Celia Cruz are from a different era. This is the 'music video' era, where TV and flash is far more significant than substance. There are exceptions though. Susan Boyle is a novelty.
Debate.org Moderator
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:34:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Marketability is basically it, yeah. It sells better. But I'd probably say more about it making the viewing better as well. Watching Susan Boyle was just... I can listen, but I don't want to watch...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:37:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:29:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:21:23 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.

Precisely. But they aren't all like that. Rarely does talent trump looks, but sometimes it does. Look at Aretha Franklin. Etta James. Celia Cruz. Susan Boyle.

Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Celia Cruz are from a different era. This is the 'music video' era, where TV and flash is far more significant than substance. There are exceptions though. Susan Boyle is a novelty.

Good point. Though I'm fairly sure Celia has made some videos in her old age.

Anyway, we could take this thread further:

Why are all or most female politicians attractive?
Why are all or most female actors attractive?
Why are all or most female X attractive?

Because people don't generally like moderately attractive or ugly women. tits or gtfo, member?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:41:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:37:12 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:29:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:21:23 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.

Precisely. But they aren't all like that. Rarely does talent trump looks, but sometimes it does. Look at Aretha Franklin. Etta James. Celia Cruz. Susan Boyle.

Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Celia Cruz are from a different era. This is the 'music video' era, where TV and flash is far more significant than substance. There are exceptions though. Susan Boyle is a novelty.

Good point. Though I'm fairly sure Celia has made some videos in her old age.

Once someone has gained credibility and marketability exceptions can be made as long as they still have popularity.

Anyway, we could take this thread further:

Why are all or most female politicians attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female actors attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female X attractive?

Marketability.

Because people don't generally like moderately attractive or ugly women. tits or gtfo, member?

I don't know if I would go as far as saying this, just that it's easier to market attractive people. Moderately attractive is good enough, if the talent level makes up for it.

We live in a superficial world.
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:53:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:41:11 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:37:12 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:29:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:21:23 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.

Precisely. But they aren't all like that. Rarely does talent trump looks, but sometimes it does. Look at Aretha Franklin. Etta James. Celia Cruz. Susan Boyle.

Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Celia Cruz are from a different era. This is the 'music video' era, where TV and flash is far more significant than substance. There are exceptions though. Susan Boyle is a novelty.

Good point. Though I'm fairly sure Celia has made some videos in her old age.

Once someone has gained credibility and marketability exceptions can be made as long as they still have popularity.


Anyway, we could take this thread further:

Why are all or most female politicians attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female actors attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female X attractive?

Marketability.

Because people don't generally like moderately attractive or ugly women. tits or gtfo, member?

I don't know if I would go as far as saying this, just that it's easier to market attractive people. Moderately attractive is good enough, if the talent level makes up for it.

We live in a superficial world.

Come on... attractiveness is far more important quality in a woman to people than in a man. That just doesn't even seem like it's up for debate. Women politicians get their looks and fashion commented on FAR more than male politicians by the media and a moderately attractive woman wouldn't stand a chance getting a role in most major films. A moderately attractive man on the other hand, has far better chances.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 4:01:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:53:26 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:41:11 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:37:12 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:29:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:21:23 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.

Precisely. But they aren't all like that. Rarely does talent trump looks, but sometimes it does. Look at Aretha Franklin. Etta James. Celia Cruz. Susan Boyle.

Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Celia Cruz are from a different era. This is the 'music video' era, where TV and flash is far more significant than substance. There are exceptions though. Susan Boyle is a novelty.

Good point. Though I'm fairly sure Celia has made some videos in her old age.

Once someone has gained credibility and marketability exceptions can be made as long as they still have popularity.


Anyway, we could take this thread further:

Why are all or most female politicians attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female actors attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female X attractive?

Marketability.

Because people don't generally like moderately attractive or ugly women. tits or gtfo, member?

I don't know if I would go as far as saying this, just that it's easier to market attractive people. Moderately attractive is good enough, if the talent level makes up for it.

We live in a superficial world.

Come on... attractiveness is far more important quality in a woman to people than in a man. That just doesn't even seem like it's up for debate. Women politicians get their looks and fashion commented on FAR more than male politicians by the media and a moderately attractive woman wouldn't stand a chance getting a role in most major films. A moderately attractive man on the other hand, has far better chances.

I don't disagree with that, I guess we might just have a different opinion on what moderately attractive means. I certainly agree that in our society it is far more necessary for a woman to be attractive that for a man to be, for the sakes of marketability.
Debate.org Moderator
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 4:16:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 4:01:21 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:53:26 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:41:11 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:37:12 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:29:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:21:23 AM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:08:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Marketability.

Precisely. But they aren't all like that. Rarely does talent trump looks, but sometimes it does. Look at Aretha Franklin. Etta James. Celia Cruz. Susan Boyle.

Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Celia Cruz are from a different era. This is the 'music video' era, where TV and flash is far more significant than substance. There are exceptions though. Susan Boyle is a novelty.

Good point. Though I'm fairly sure Celia has made some videos in her old age.

Once someone has gained credibility and marketability exceptions can be made as long as they still have popularity.


Anyway, we could take this thread further:

Why are all or most female politicians attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female actors attractive?

Marketability.

Why are all or most female X attractive?

Marketability.

Because people don't generally like moderately attractive or ugly women. tits or gtfo, member?

I don't know if I would go as far as saying this, just that it's easier to market attractive people. Moderately attractive is good enough, if the talent level makes up for it.

We live in a superficial world.

Come on... attractiveness is far more important quality in a woman to people than in a man. That just doesn't even seem like it's up for debate. Women politicians get their looks and fashion commented on FAR more than male politicians by the media and a moderately attractive woman wouldn't stand a chance getting a role in most major films. A moderately attractive man on the other hand, has far better chances.

I don't disagree with that, I guess we might just have a different opinion on what moderately attractive means. I certainly agree that in our society it is far more necessary for a woman to be attractive that for a man to be, for the sakes of marketability.

Moderately attractive would just be average, I guess. People aren't big fans.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 6:34:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can't believe no one has mentioned this: Adele.

Also queen latifah, there's more who aren't overly attractive, but as mentioned in the thread looks aren't irrelevant.
kyro90
Posts: 4,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 9:29:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I make them good looking.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 9:36:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Susan Boyle.

Your argument is invalid.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 12:50:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
False.

Adele.

Though, she's not ugly, just not that attractive.....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 12:52:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oryus, did you just say "Why are female politicians attractive?"

Lol.

Nancy Pelosi.

Michelle Bachmann.

Hillary Clinton.

Your argument is invalid.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 1:04:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 12:52:09 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Oryus, did you just say "Why are female politicians attractive?"

Lol.

Nancy Pelosi.

Michelle Bachmann.

Hillary Clinton.

Your argument is invalid.

I actually find all of them fairly attractive...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 1:06:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 1:04:45 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/30/2012 12:52:09 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Oryus, did you just say "Why are female politicians attractive?"

Lol.

Nancy Pelosi.

Michelle Bachmann.

Hillary Clinton.

Your argument is invalid.

I actually find all of them fairly attractive...

Lol.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 1:06:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 1:06:01 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 6/30/2012 1:04:45 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/30/2012 12:52:09 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Oryus, did you just say "Why are female politicians attractive?"

Lol.

Nancy Pelosi.

Michelle Bachmann.

Hillary Clinton.

Your argument is invalid.

I actually find all of them fairly attractive...

Lol.

I actually am not joking... I need to rethink my life.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 1:57:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I follow Hawaiian music. The Hawaiians seems to care a lot less about the appearance of singers than the rest of pop culture. Plump middle-aged ladies can do just fine -- provided they can sing. They also have a lot of male singers who are, shall we say, indifferent to appearance. I think the singing talent they get as a result is extraordinary.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 2:26:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 12:52:09 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Oryus, did you just say "Why are female politicians attractive?"

Lol.

Nancy Pelosi.

Michelle Bachmann.

Hillary Clinton.

Your argument is invalid.

No. To people who are not 16, those women are very attractive. Especially Michelle Bachmann.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 2:26:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 2:26:32 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 12:52:09 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Oryus, did you just say "Why are female politicians attractive?"

Lol.

Nancy Pelosi.

Michelle Bachmann.

Hillary Clinton.

Your argument is invalid.

No. To people who are not 16, those women are very attractive. Especially Michelle Bachmann.

It doesn't matter what you think anyway. You can't vote.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 2:37:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 2:26:51 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 2:26:32 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/30/2012 12:52:09 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Oryus, did you just say "Why are female politicians attractive?"

Lol.

Nancy Pelosi.

Michelle Bachmann.

Hillary Clinton.

Your argument is invalid.

No. To people who are not 16, those women are very attractive. Especially Michelle Bachmann.

It doesn't matter what you think anyway. You can't vote.

Why are you talking to yourself in the second person?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:29:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 1:57:50 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I follow Hawaiian music. The Hawaiians seems to care a lot less about the appearance of singers than the rest of pop culture. Plump middle-aged ladies can do just fine -- provided they can sing. They also have a lot of male singers who are, shall we say, indifferent to appearance. I think the singing talent they get as a result is extraordinary.

This is a good point. Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole immediately came to mind. He doesn't exactly have classic good looks.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:38:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:29:46 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/30/2012 1:57:50 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I follow Hawaiian music. The Hawaiians seems to care a lot less about the appearance of singers than the rest of pop culture. Plump middle-aged ladies can do just fine -- provided they can sing. They also have a lot of male singers who are, shall we say, indifferent to appearance. I think the singing talent they get as a result is extraordinary.

This is a good point. Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole immediately came to mind. He doesn't exactly have classic good looks.



He's a hottie <3
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 7:50:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:37:12 AM, Oryus wrote:

Why are all or most female politicians attractive?

I'm not saying that one person instantly invalidates this argument, but Angela Merkel.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 8:01:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 3:25:14 AM, Oryus wrote:


AZUUUUCARRR!!!

Makes me want yellow rice, plantains, fish, and mojo sauce.
I miss Cuban food.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 8:09:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/30/2012 8:01:40 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/30/2012 3:25:14 AM, Oryus wrote:

AZUUUUCARRR!!!

Makes me want yellow rice, plantains, fish, and mojo sauce.
I miss Cuban food.

Meeeee too.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 8:12:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No ugly female singers? OP has clearly never heard of Justin Bieber
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault