Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 7:37:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Haha, this debate has been going on for over 15 years. At first I thought it was plausible (and how cool would that be?) but now I don't know. G.R.R. Martin likes to throw readers for a loop.

Also for others to follow along:

Rhaegar Targaryen + Lyanna Stark = Jon Snow?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 9:33:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/1/2012 6:52:59 PM, Raisor wrote:
Any game of thrones fans out there? Where do you guys stand on this fan theory?

---- SPOILERS ----

That's certainly the predominant theory, of which I am a fan and proponent.

Right now the heads of the dragon are looking to be: Jon, Danaerys, and Aegon.

Here are the theories I am aware of:

Rhaegar + Lyanna Stark - Jon is described as looking like Lyanna (as does Arya, though this might be merely to obfuscate Jon's similarity). Also, the level of secrecy seems to go above and beyond Ned's normal sense of descency and discretion. After all, he seems to place truth above discretion, especially with regards to Rob's bastards. Ned's secrecy makes sense if Jon is actually Raegar's son, as Jon would be marked for death by a great number of people.

Ashara Dayne + Ned or Brandon Stark - In universe it is rumoured that one of those two Starks bedded Ashara Dayne at a tournament, and several people (in universe) actually believe that Jon was the child she was pregnant with before she committed suicide. Other than the in universe rumors, I'm not sure what support there is for this theory.

Wylla + Ned Stark - another based on in universe rumors. Believed by Rob and Edric Storm. Personally, to me this seems more like something people assumed and Ned has continued to let people to assume that to detract from the Rhaegar + Lyanna theory.

It is interesting to note that, as far as I'm aware, only the Rhaegar + Lyanna theory is not currently believed by anyone in the stor; It's entirely fan made. Because if this, I totally see it as being the actual theory, with the in universe theories as acting as Red Herrings. Then again, G.R.R.M. may not intend on revealing who the mother is, or may not know himself, having not decided it.

There is also an issue of him changing his mind when compared to his initial intentions.